PDA

View Full Version : Google Calendar Question

Gary Brown
21st Aug 2009, 14:06
Some recent upgrades in how Google Calendar works has let me to give it a try as my "personal" calendar, dealing with family stuff.

One thing I like is that the Calendar emails me early every morning with a list of the day's planned events.

That email however only goes to the personal gmail account associated with the calendar.

Anyone know if it's possible to get the Calendar to copy that email to a second, non-Gmail address?

I can't see a way to do it....

AGB

call100
21st Aug 2009, 15:33
Not sure, but can't you set up a rule for it to forward to whatever email you want?
I haven't checked as my GMX account picks up all my GMail.....

Gary Brown
21st Aug 2009, 15:37
I expected to be able to send that email wherever I wanted - but it seems just to be set permanently to the GMail address with which the Calendar is associated.

I've looked at every version of SETTINGS and just can't see anywhere to add a 2nd mail address, or to alter the default....

AGB

call100
21st Aug 2009, 19:18
Here you go............Might just be easier to forward the email onward..
How do I forward my mail to another email account automatically? - Gmail Help (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=10957)

Hope that helps...:ok:

Capetonian
21st Aug 2009, 19:41
I looked at this too as a way of coordinating our family calendar. I came up against the same barrier, and whilst forwarding the emails is an option, it seems it can't be done on a discretionary basis, it's all or none.

That could lead to problems ..... hypothetically of course!

Rainboe
21st Aug 2009, 20:55
I lurvvvvve my Google Calendar! What an amazing thing. I have 4 separate calendars that i can run concurrently in whatever combination I wish. But I don't know why some entries are highlighted in a coloured background and others are just printed in the appropriate colour. Anyone know why?

If your calendar doesn't want to take an entry, just re-sign in. Seems to solve problems there.

Gary Brown
21st Aug 2009, 22:20
Ah-ha - maybe there is a way....... Google Calendar sends the Daily Agenda to the associated email account only. But if - as suggested above - you go into the FORWARDING tab of SETTINGS for that GMail account you can set up a filter to send any incoming mail matching certain criteria to an external address. As the Calendar notification comes from <[email protected]>, I've set up a filter to send mail coming from there - and only there - out to my external address. We shall see tomorrow morning if it works.

Google Calendar seems very much a work-in-progress. As Rainboe noted, the different color codes are bit difficult to figure out, as are many other features (which are poorly or obscurely documented). Though I've sort of got the Daily Agenda to work, the Reminder Notificatiosn(via email, pop-up, SMS etc etc) don't seem to work at all for me. Or at least not in Calendar on my PC. They do work in the very, very handy synchronized Calendar that I have on my new G1 phone......

One other thing - I tried running this and a couple of other queries through a couple of Google help groups - but they seem to be entirely populated by strange 16-year-olds, who speak in tongues.....

AGB

bnt
21st Aug 2009, 23:13
Actually, there's an easier way: the "Add Guests" button on a reminder. Enter email addresses that need to get reminder emails, and that should be it. You can optionally send out an immediate invitation. :8

Gary Brown
22nd Aug 2009, 00:40
I see how I can "Add Guests" to an individual event (so, I can use that to send a note of a specific family birthday to my wife's email as well as to my own associated GMail; or indeed to one of my own other email addresses...), but I don't see how to do it for that useful Daily Agenda email......

The only place you can access that Daily Agenda option is from SETTINGS > NOTIFICATIONS, where you can simply turn it on or off.

What I'll also try is sharing the whole calendar (SETTINGS > SHARE) with my other non-Gmail address - maybe the Daily Agenda will get sent as a result of that sharing enabling. Either that or the GMail forwarding filter mentioned above will work......

AGB

Keef
22nd Aug 2009, 08:53
I've not tried it with calendar notifications, but I collect all the mail from my Gmail account onto Thunderbird on my PC. Gmail is my main spam filter process these days - e-mail accounts that are getting spammed are set to forward to Gmail, and then POPped from there.

I can't see why that wouldn't work for calendar, too.

Gary Brown
22nd Aug 2009, 14:18
I'm still doing some binary-style testing of the various notification / forwarding options in respect of Calendar, and I'll report back when I'm clear as to what works and what doesn't.....

On Keef's point above, that approach will work, but it will only work if you want ALL the mail form the Calendar-associated GMail address to be diverted / picked up elsewhere. For assorted reasons, that won't work for me - I just want to control the destination of Calendar items, especially the Daily Agenda.

Another global solution that I guess would work - prompted by Rainboe's 4 Calendars, above.... - is to create a new GMail address that is used solely for Calendar business, and then to forward all mail from that address to the external address......

BTW, the GMail Spam filter is indeed very effective - but it does conceal any non-spam that's wrongly marked as spam pretty well....... There's also an issue with GMail and its dislike for what it reads as duplicate messages. For instance, if I set American Airlines to update me on gates and times for a flight, the mail that AA sends out has a) identical subject info, and b) the varied contents as an attachment. I've found that GMail will acept the very first notification, but then filters out all subsequent updates as being "identical repeats", unless I've deleted the original notification.... Kind of defeats the purpose of wanting serial updates.....

AGB

Eddie_Crane
23rd Aug 2009, 01:02
Highlight vs colour print...
All I know is that when you have an event that has a discrete start/finish time, then it is presented as colour print ("month view"). An event such as say "Bank Holiday" which doesn't have start/finish times on a day, will then appear highlighted. On a "week view", the difference is shown with the the "continuous" event listed on the day's header.
But you probably already know all this.
GCal + GDocs are an excellent way of sharing calendar and docs. Works wonders with my gal, family, friends n colleagues.

Binoculars
23rd Aug 2009, 12:14
But how do I delete a Google Calendar?

Eddie_Crane
23rd Aug 2009, 13:27
Under each calendar (or group of shared/subscribed calendars), the link to "Settings" will solve that. Either "Delete" if it's you own calendar or "Unsubscribe" if it's someone elses's shared calendar or a public one (e.g. UK Holidays).
I think that's what you wanted to do? :\

Binoculars
23rd Aug 2009, 14:18
Yes it is what I want to do, but it just won't happen. The calendar in question was set up when I discovered Google calendar just as something to experiment with. Then came the extra two calendars which work fine. But when I try to delete the first one I get the following msg:

You are about to permanently delete all events on your primary calendar.

Once deleted, events cannot be restored.

Are you sure you want to delete all events?

Yes please says I, but when I reselect Google Calendar there it is still there in all it's glory. I assume it is my primary calendar because it was the first one installed, but there is nothing on it I want.

:confused:

Gary Brown
23rd Aug 2009, 16:20
Just to go back to Square 1.......

A GMail Calendar is always associated with a primary GMail address. Notifications of Events, and of a Daily Agenda summary of all events for the coming day can be sent by various means to that primary GMail address. I wanted also to send that Daily Agenda to a non-GMail address. How?

Well, sort-of-possible, and sort-of-not-possible.

First, there's no way of directing the Daily Agenda to an external address directly from within Calendar. It will sent to the primary GMail address and no other.

In theory, notifications of individual events can be sent to external addresses, either by inserting that direction into an Event, or by sharing the whole Calendar with an external address. I find that to work intermittantly (and I can'f figure out the rationale....). But in any case, the Daily Agenda is *not* sent to the external address by either of those methods.

But there is a work-round. The SETTINGS for the GMail account associated with a Calendar has the provision to forward all emails received to an external address. It also has a neat FILTER by which you can specify that only certain incoming mails mails (defined by Sender, Subject etc etc...) are forwarded to another address. As all Calendar email notifications (both Events and the Daily Agenda) come from <[email protected]>, you can create a filter to forward all those incoming notifications to the external mail address. If you add another filter element - mail must also contain "Daily Agenda" in Subject line - then only that Daily Agenda will be forwarded...

Works well enough, and solves my immediate challenge. But it's a long walk...

AGB