PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Passing Filter Interview for WSOp?

cozzarockery
21st Aug 2009, 00:15
Hope this is right Forum!

Hi, Im 18 and just signed up for WSOp in the RAF.:ok:

Due for my presentation on 15th september and I'm wondering if any of you guys have any tips to get me through the filter interview;). What will I definately need to know and learn apart from Planes flown by the RAF, Which Squadrons and Where they are stationed if anything!? I've heard mixed reviews on how harsh it is so I am also wanting to know what are the chances of actually passing the filter interview.

Any help appreciated

THANKS!!!:8

alwayslookingup
21st Aug 2009, 00:32
Right Forum, sort of.

Plenty of people here to help, but best to look at the second thread from top, "OASC Candidates....." first. You should find answers/contacts there.

Good luck.

Pontius Navigator
21st Aug 2009, 06:19
AP, true, to a point, but a little harsh I think. His first post is much better than a few 'graduates' that have posted here.

OK, be snart in what ever you are wearing. This is just an initial filter but if you are keen, clean, smart and tidy, you will create a good impression from the start.

mugwuffin
21st Aug 2009, 06:22
"Multiple exclamation marks are just wrong, as is missing the apostrophe at the start of your post. The little things will trip you up as easy as the big things.

Even just using a spell checker on the PC prior to posting on here would show a little more attention to detail, and that's important."

my advice? for what its worth dont listen to cretins/pedants about your spelling on an internet forum. if you end up in the back of a 2 rotor cab in afghanistan you will be right at the front line with a minigun within 2 years. ncaitc is also harder than iot. have a good answer to the question what do you plan to do if we dont give you the job. and finally relax. im not 100% about any differences between the o and the a bit of oasc, but the interview is really the only thing you can affect. be as prepped as possible and enjoy!

enginesuck
21st Aug 2009, 07:00
In which circumstances do young SNCO aircrew write airmen's annual appraisals ? Ive never heard of this, in fact I have often wondered why ab initio aircrew have to be NCO's.

akula
21st Aug 2009, 08:02
Enginesuck,

Once an initial flying tour is complete NCO aircrew types generally do a ground tour of some description, many of these entail reporting responsibility.

With regards as to why aircrew are NCO's, you need to pay the right amount to attract the right candidates and the level of responsibility is deemed to require SNCO's at the very least.

ALWAYS assume NEVER check

Sempre 206
21st Aug 2009, 08:49
...Due for my presentation on 15th september...

Firstly
Be aware of the significance of 15th September

Good Luck

Tiger_mate
21st Aug 2009, 09:24
The interview starts the moment your name is called out by the uniformed gentleman by the double doors. Learn how to stand up, walk head held high and shake the geezers hand; without looking like your missing a coke can to kick en-route. The arms of the chairs are good for removing sweat as you depart the seat. Relax as soon as you are able whilst maintaining your guard in answering questions. If you lie you will almost certainly be found out. If they get you into an argument be prepared to stand you ground to a point, whilst 'understanding' or 'respecting' their point of view. Practice interviews are a sound investment in your time even if it for a (real) job you have no intention of ever wanting. Good Luck & polish your shoes.

cozzarockery
21st Aug 2009, 10:10
I agree on the spelling and punctuatiuon it was rather late at night :suspect:. Looking back I would agree on improvements!

Thanks 'alwayslookingup' I will check out the thread.

Also 'Tiger_mate' I will adopt the sweat on chair technique. Brilliant.

Thanks for all the advice.

muppetofthenorth
21st Aug 2009, 10:27
If you can't find every morsel of information you desire between the stickied thread at the top of this forum and the information contained in here (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=96) then I'll eat my hat. And I don't have an hat.

c130jbloke
21st Aug 2009, 12:52
And here we go again :ooh:

airborne_artist
21st Aug 2009, 12:55
Helibloke - try reading Immediate Response - Tales from the Chinook Frontline (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/384280-tales-chinook-frontline.html) and then report back.

500days2do
21st Aug 2009, 13:15
Best job in the airforce...a job that has to earned and respected.

All the best in your application.

5d2d

charliegolf
21st Aug 2009, 14:12
Even as a young SNCO, you would be writing career defining reports on junior airmen,

I didn't in 8 years of service. I've never heard of an aircrew sergeant (a fit one) having a ground tour as a second tour either.

CG

The Old Fat One
21st Aug 2009, 15:46
Charlie Golf

First tour - Nimrods
Second tour Int/Ops - I was first RO to one of the Int Clerks.

Both jobs I was a Sergeant. B cat on first tour and 3 hour marathon runner (so I guess I was fit - then, not now!)

Agree with C130Jbloke re why are SNCO Aircrew SNCO's?

Yawn, yawn, play another song.

charliegolf
21st Aug 2009, 16:58
TOFO: I stand corrected.

Could it be that we Puma crewmen were so hard to find, and then train to a pinnacle of professionalism, that we just could not be spared?

That's the party line for the Wessex boys anyway:ok:

CG

21st Aug 2009, 19:20
I agree completely with AP's post. My organisation operates a "first paper sift" policy when selecting new recruits. This involves a member of our recruitment team going through each application and just checking the punctuation, spelling and grammar. Too many errors and its automatic rejection regardless of the content. Is this a reasonable policy? I say yes it is, our staff (as in many organisations) are required to write letters and reports to many individuals and organisations outside our own; thus their ability to write clearly following the rules of correct English reflects directly on the organisation. If an individual cannot make the effort to get things right on their application form, do we really what them? The answer is no we don't.

OKOC
21st Aug 2009, 19:32
163627--Quote "If an individual cannot make the effort to get things right on their application form, do we really what them? The answer is no we don't."

Nice one 163627-great attention to detail--did you pass your selection interview?

21st Aug 2009, 20:23
Point well made, I shouldn't have tried to make a post sitting in an armchair with a glass of red wine in one hand and an attention seeking Westie siting on my lap! However, I stand by my post, do not expect to get too far in a selection if you do not (like me) use the spell checker.

OKOC
22nd Aug 2009, 08:53
163627--your point is well-made and still stands, I was only being a little naughty; have a good weekend--yo dude.

smugley
22nd Aug 2009, 10:35
Dragging the thread back to the subject;).

Do you mean the interview before OASC or the interview at OASC?
The filter interview is really there to see if you're the kind of chap that OASC should have a look at, whereas the interview at OASC is there to see what kind of chap (or chappess) you are.

Swotting up a bit for the filter interview is the best advice I could give, not just on your favoured bit of machinery, Chinook maybe, but all the aircraft that NCA fly. The interview will be a one-on-one with an Officer, although it could be a Warrant Officer/Master Aircrew, and his/her recommendation will be from his/her perception of you during the interview.

The OASC interview (which everyone seems to be afraid of, but shouldn't be) will be in front of a board (3 I think?), the other tests will be marked or assessed by other selection staff so the whole result is a group decision.

Therefore, be smart as advised, have a good base knowledge of the job/aircraft/locations/operations (it doesn't need to be A-Level stuff), have 3 or 4 current affairs subjects up your sleeve as well. Most of all relax and try to give your best.

Good luck!

P.S. Downsizer, you'll have someone's eye out with that.

cozzarockery
22nd Aug 2009, 11:05
In reply to the comment made by 'smugley', it is the filter interview I started this thread on but as it has progressed I realise the significance of OASC. That is the real test it seems.

I know that OASC consists of aptitude tests, fitness tests; numerical reasoning and leadership tests (please let me know if there is anything else). What is the best way to prepare for this in regards to books to read and ways to test myself?

charliegolf
22nd Aug 2009, 11:57
No need to panic, everybody in the mess and the wider world knows they aren't real SNCOs...

...... 'though everyone in the mess knows they get real SNCOs' pay and a nice badge!

CG

minigundiplomat
22nd Aug 2009, 13:49
Downsizer,

I dont really care what anyone in the Mess thinks; I try and avoid it as all that crimpolene and polyester are a fire risk waiting to happen.

I must admit the extra 7K a year more than makes up for what anyone with a large shoulder mounted chip may feel, as does the satisfaction of coming back off an IRT callout or deliberate op and seeing blunties worrying about stationary orders or sandbagging a parking space.

You should try it.

smugley
22nd Aug 2009, 16:31
Cozzarockery.

I think you're right in the statement that OASC is the big test, however the filter interview does what it says on the tin and holds weight in that you need to get through that first and so is pretty important.

That said, you will probably get a bit of feedback and advice from your interviewer and you can then sharpen up on any weak areas as these will definitely come to light at OASC.

There's buckets of stuff on this forum and others about the tests (also the format has changed a bit since my selection) so I won't go overboard on the details.

Get fit - the bleep test has a maximum score of excellent so you'd be cheating yourself not to get it.

Don't worry about the medical, it's stringent but if you're not tall enough, for example, for the branch you want - you can't do anything about it so don't stress.

You might be able to help yourself a little with the aptitude tests, short-term memory, number puzzles, mental arithmetic etc. But, again, you've either got it or you haven't so don't worry about that too much either.

The interview - know your subject, half of it is talking about yourself anyway so sell yourself. It is NOT the nightmare that people think.

Leadership/team exercises - are actually quite a giggle if you've got the right attitude. They're only looking for potential at this point. You'll learn alot by looking at the other candidates around you.

After all that, hopefully an offer will come your way and then it's the hard part! Throughout it all though, keep positive and if you take one thing away from this forum today - a broad understanding of the service will serve you well and childish mud slinging will get you nowhere.:ok:

minigundiplomat
22nd Aug 2009, 17:33
Airpolice,

My post was in response to:

No need to panic, everybody in the mess and the wider world knows they aren't real SNCOs...

Either you didnt bother to read the whole thread, or you obviously you subscribe to this school of thought.

Another common thread in middle level achievers is that they can never see when people are looking down their noses at them, often mistaking it for jealousy. Any critical comment is usually responded to with claims of "You just wish you were doing what I do" when in reality it is more a case of me wishing you would do your bit better.

Ive never been described as a middle level achiever, a new experience. I don't really know what you do, don't really care, and don't really aspire to it (unless you are official alcohol tester for the city of Cancun).

There is more to serving in the Royal Air Force than being aircrew, although they are what it is all about.

You are half right (second half)

This is not necessarily a bad thing, as any big business needs doers as well as leaders.

Most of the great leaders I know are on the flying Sqns. That is because you require leadership to fly back in and out of some taliban infested sh1thole or overhead an Argentinian AAA position day after day.
You require management to ensure JPA claims are submitted, parking spaces are sandbagged and labelled, and that stationery arrives on time.

We have far too many managers as people like you confuse this for leadership. We need leaders and it doesnt matter if they work in the air or in the ground, whether they strap themselves in or strap things down for a living, but it does help if they read all the posts in a thread before flicking the switch marked 'morale outrage' and mounting a high horse.

Your responses in this thread (starting with spelling pedantry and ending with 'let's be buddies' encouragement) leads me to believe you are not NCA. In which case, what qualification do you have for posting on this thread? other than an oversized self opinion and the self satisfied knowledge that we obviously need your input?

To the original poster,

Good luck in your application. Be aware, as Im sure you are by now, that some within the RAF will consider you less of a SNCO because you didnt spend 12 years as treasurer of the road safety committee.
Others, consider the acquisition and marking of car parking spaces and stringent work timings to be the cornerstone of any operation.

Other than that, you will have a great time and make some great friends.

x213a
22nd Aug 2009, 18:56
Thats the best rebuttal I've read in a fair while on here.:ok:

airborne_artist
22nd Aug 2009, 20:52
Aero

Weight - 56.6- 96.5Kg

Functional Reach - Min 720mm

Sitting Height - 865 - 990mm

865 - 990mm

Buttock - Knee
560 - 660mm

Buttock- Heel
1000 - 1200mm

Pretty much rules out anyone over 6'6".

Aerouk
22nd Aug 2009, 21:16
Thanks AA.

I deleted the post thinking I had found the figures but they were wrong. :)

Helix1
21st Sep 2009, 13:33
:D how funny!

Hello, I to am about to have my filter interview for WSOp and have under taken alot of revision, some mybe not needed and some focused on more than others. Please can anyone help me in choosing which is important and which is not.
Operationions around the world ; Falklands, Northern Ireland, Gulf War, Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan and Iraq

Training; whats involved and when it takes place

Roles and responsibillities of; RAF, Sgt, and WSOp

I have left the most important things out, Aircraft etc. If anyone has any ideas about this it would be a great help to my revision, i want to pass this interview so much!
Thanks

Wader2
21st Sep 2009, 13:38
Helix, not bad, but did you read the second post here and the sticky at the top of the page?

Helix1
21st Sep 2009, 13:46
I will take a look now! I was interested in hearing if that sort of thing came up in anyones filter interview

Aerouk
21st Sep 2009, 13:52
Good luck with it Helix :ok: let us know how you get on.