PDA

View Full Version : South African Express questions

DHC6to8
20th Aug 2009, 21:23
I am wondering if anybody could help me understand the situation with this company... I have been in Africa before and would like to return. SAX is supposedly looking for guys (so I was told by a contact in SA:E). I would like to take my 10000 hrs of DeHav experience down there to them... and enjoy the experience. What is the current status of this company? Are they getting more Dash 8 400's? Are they expanding or moving into Namibia? Are they getting rid of their Dash 8 fleet? Just trying to clarify what exactly the situation is there right now before I bite....:}
I would appreciate any and all help!
Thanks guys and gals!
Cheers
6to8

reptile
21st Aug 2009, 06:44
SAX is not hiring at the moment - after a number of large intakes of the past 14 months, the crew level is currently up to the required strength of just over 200 pilots. I believe the last eight recruits are soon to be released to the line. One or two small intakes may still take place before the end of the year, but no dates have been set for this yet.

SAX is currently operating 14 CRJ 200’s, 7 Dash 8-300’s, 2 CRJ 700’s and 2 Q400’s. The airline intends to grow its Q400 fleet substantially over the coming three years and is also considering the acquisition of a number of CRJ 900's (the CRJ 700's are on a short term lease). The Dash 8-300's should be around for at least the next three years.

The airline serves only two destinations in Namibia (Windhoek and Walvis Bay) and at this stage there are no plans to expand to other destinations in that country. Operations in the DRC are due to intensify in the coming months.

SAX cannot hire direct entry captains as this is forbidden by current agreements with the pilots union. Time to upgrade over the last three years has been very short however due to the airlines rapid expansion.

I have been in Africa before and would like to return From this I gather that you are not from South Africa....

To be eligible for employment at SAX you need a South African licence, a residency permit and a valid work permit - there is no requirement to be a South African national. At this stage SAX does not assist prospective employees in the application process for the above mentioned permits and licences.

JTrain
23rd Aug 2009, 00:59
Operations in the DRC are due to intensify in the coming months.

Which cities? I'd heard you guys were going to start Lubumbashi - Kinshasa service last year but when the commodities prices tumbled that was nixed? Any other DRC cities on the SAX radar, possibly Kisangani, Mbuji Mayi, Kananga, or Kolwezi (for mining interests).