PDA

View Full Version : What is the world coming to?

27/09
20th Aug 2009, 21:03
:ugh:

Pilots' deaths 'school's fault' - national | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2773221/Pilots-deaths-schools-fault)

You have to presume at least one of the guys had a PPL, one could assume they both had a PPL. That means at least one of them had demonstrated a level of knowledge and ability to have the priviledge of holding a PPL. With the priviledge comes some responsibility and the expectation that they won't do dumb stuff. One of the parents thinks having an instructor ride shotgun on each flight is what should happen to stop such accidents. If that needs to be done then the "student" has chosen the wrong career.

As is normal for most club/school flights the flight and route would have been authorised. These guys didn't stick to the authorised route. As for the suggestion that a tracking system should be used. How can any tracking system stop someone from going where they are not supposed to or doing dumb things? Mr Mitchell is either being a bit naive or he has been misquoted.

Another case of trying to blame someone else.

Corkey McFuz
20th Aug 2009, 22:10
That's a bit harsh to blame the flight school. They were both PPL's and this could have easily happened if they were flying privately outside of the academy.
The blame can only be put on the pilots and no one else. They were were flying where they shouldn't have been, (according to their flight plan) and this was off they're their own back but yet would have happened whether they were flying under the supervision of the academy or not. I was flying on the coast that day and heard them at an airfield not on their flight plan (although not far away) and the weather was mint with almost zero cloud and wind so I doubt they deviated due weather.

Here is the report for those who want to read, I might have a re read myself.

http://www.caa.govt.nz/Accidents_and_Incidents/Accident_Reports/ZK-LJB_Fatal.pdf

dudduddud
21st Aug 2009, 00:05
How can any tracking system stop someone from going where they are not supposed to or doing dumb things?

I think the idea is that people are less likely to deviate from their authorised route if they know they are being tracked.

In fact, if the operator had a tracking system and there were consequences for people who had been found to have deviated from their authorised track, this particular accident almost certainly wouldn't have happened.

Corkey McFuz
21st Aug 2009, 00:11
I believe they now have tracking systems installed on they're aircraft since the crash

27/09
21st Aug 2009, 09:52
In fact, if the operator had a tracking system and there were consequences for people who had been found to have deviated from their authorised track, this particular accident almost certainly wouldn't have happened.

For Fa*ques sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are talking about pilots undertaking their training for a professional licence. If the school needs to be checking up (spying) on them then someone has lost the plot.

As an aside the report mentions that a tracking system was already being trialled by the school in question when the accident happened. Though I suspect the reason for trialling the system wasn't to catch pilots out when they were away from base but to know where aircraft were in case they went missing.

I bet that very flight is not analysed to see that it went where it was supposed to go, it would be only looked at when there was an issue to be resolved, i.e. did the pilot infringe airspace. Who is going to sit down and spend the time looking at each and every flights trail?

As for being an effective tool for stopping track deviations as has been suggested I have my doubts.

Arnold E
21st Aug 2009, 12:20
At the end of the day the PIC is Pilot in command

framer
22nd Aug 2009, 10:49
If you need that sort of insentive to persuade you to stick to the rules then you don't have the maturity to be PIC of a commercial aircraft. I am pretty sure that these chaps were aiming for a career in commercial flying.
They don't need a tracking system to provide a means of catching people out. If you need to monitor pilots like that then the wrong people are flying planes IMO.
Maybe these guys deviated for a legit reason, I doubt it but who knows?

Massey058
22nd Aug 2009, 17:10
We are talking about pilots undertaking their training for a professional licence. If the school needs to be checking up (spying) on them then someone has lost the plot.

I agree, if that is the primary reason for such a system. I'm pretty sure that is not the case thought - well I hope so.

Don't know what system Canterbury are using but the SpiderTracks system that Massey use allows track overlay with Google Earth or the VNC's. The utility of such a system comes in debriefing as instructors have the visuals right there to show what went wrong or right. Its also great from an aircraft management point of view and allows ops to jig the schedule accordingly. It of course provides a highly accurate position should the unthinkable happen (which is why Mrs Erceg is putting a bit of money into making SpiderTracks more affordable).

I guess the unfortunate side-effect is that such systems can be used to 'spy' but its a waste of effort if that is the primary motivation and the plot truly would be lost.