PDA

View Full Version : advice??

K3nnyboy
20th Aug 2009, 11:51
Hey guys~~

Before I start telling you guys about my situation, just wondering if any of you guys could share some light on the reality of the GA in Aust. is it really hard for a low-end CPL holder to find a job??

I actually studied my CPL in 2006, however soon after I've done all ym training, there was a down turn in the industry, so I went ahead and sign up for this university course for the next three years.....it's 2009 now, and I'm about to finish my degree (which has nothing to do with aviation at all, simply because I wanted a backup apart from aviation).....I relise that my dream is to get back into flying, but because I haven't been in contact with this industry (believe or not, last time I logged on to pprune.org was in 2007!!) I am now back to square one and starting freash again....:rolleyes:

I have recently applied this job with airservices as an ATC....it's the only thing I could do I guess in order to relate myself back to the industry, but again it's not a flying position...

What would you guys do?? To chase after my dream again or just keeping it as hobby?? Just wanna hear what you guys have to say about it to keep my mind open~~~

Thanks guys!!!! :ok:

chimbu warrior
20th Aug 2009, 12:21
Welcome back. The fact that you are asking these questions proves that the spark is still alive.

is it really hard for a low-end CPL holder to find a job??

Short answer : yes. But it always has been the case. The old Catch 22 - no job without experience/no experience without a job - has always been there, and always will be. Persistence and a positive attitude has served many of your predecessors well, and can work for you too.

I am of the opinion that when the economic situation turns around (hopefully sooner rather than later) , there will again be a pilot shortage. For those who remain ready, there may be some good openings.

I'm sure you've read many threads regarding chasing the elusive first job, so I am sure you don't need reminding that it is unlikely you will find that first break on the Gold Coast, or in Sydney. Nor will it occur through firing off a few emails to charter companies. It will require some travel, some questioning of every refueller/LAME/pilot you meet to try and pick up leads, and some patience.

But when it happens, it will be the happiest day of your life.

Good luck. :ok:

Horatio Leafblower
20th Aug 2009, 14:44
Mate - be wary of going for these higher-paying jobs.

If you want to fly, don't waste your time sitting on the fence... go out, get current again, BE READY.

If you get into some cushy job you may find yourself still there in 10 years, bound by golden handcuffs, wishing and dreaming but not willing to break away :ugh:

Make a bucket of cash as quickly as you can, get some marketable cash-type skills, and bugger off somewhere that has a lot of aviation QUICK.

...Mt Isa, Townsville, Cairns and Horn Island have all struck me lately as good places with heaps going on.

Ready... steady.. go! :ok:

Mr. Hat
21st Aug 2009, 11:46
Kenny, I think the worst thing you can do in life is not have a go. We are all here for a short time and then one day we're gone (forever).

There is only one thing worse than making a mistake - not having tried in the first place.

AussieNick
21st Aug 2009, 11:56
Mr Abraham, good to see George doing well. I was at LTV with her during CPL training. I got mine just before her.

Kennay, mate its hard, but you just need to keep at it, keep harrassing the operators, get youself into the office and talk face to face with the boss and you will get that first job. Remember the first job is always the hardest!

Brian Abraham
22nd Aug 2009, 15:11
My previous post I've deleted because of what I consider to be a sexist, demeaning and otherwise offensive comment by Green Goblin. A PM to him has elicited nothing from him but, and I quote, "You know what we are all like, after all, you are one!". Well I wish to advise GG, I am not one of your offensive misogynistic, sexist brethren. Take hike, a long one.

Mr. Hat
23rd Aug 2009, 02:25
soseg do a search on my name and you'll see some posts re newbie jobs in amongst some whinging about pilot conditions (just ignore those bits - its me having a vent!).

K3nnyboy
23rd Aug 2009, 12:28
thx heaps guys.....(and ladies...)

yup you're right my sparks are still alive~!!

Mt Isa, Townsville, Cairns and Horn Island sure sounds like a place to build hours...but would they hire someone with 250hrs?? I was actually thinking about working as an ATC whilst further study an instructor rating....but then, I doubt airservices would allow us to stay there for short terms....anyway..see how things go, will keep you guys posted~~

cheers~:ok:

load it, launch it
23rd Aug 2009, 13:32
I would leave from which ever place you are currently living in. Follow the road towards the part of northern Australia of your choice and STOP for a day or two at every operator that you can find within 200km either side of that road you are following. You will get a feel for the people, they will appreciate your company and if you come across as a positive, willing and more importantly able person they will generally drop hints on where operators are looking or hire you themselves.
IMHO if you are in rural Australia don't roll into an operator looking like you have stepped out of a clothes catalogue (over dressed) or like you are off to the beach (under dressed)
Load It

Mr. Hat
24th Aug 2009, 01:04
Mt Isa, Townsville, Cairns and Horn Island sure sounds like a place to build hours...but would they hire someone with 250hrs??

There is a list here http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/383870-information-regarding-top-end.html made by GG

From memory Cairns/Horn isn't 200 hour country unless you have a contact at the sky divers which would be your best bet in Cairns or just outside (mission beach from memory). I started out looking there and came to realise that it was too nice a place for my first job.. "Go west (NT WA)" is what I was told just about everywhere i went.

Your first job is likely to be in a place that you have never heard of before. There are thousands of small aeroplanes around this and its going to be up to you to find them. Research.