PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Works Calendar

Keef
19th Aug 2009, 23:47
I spent a lot of Wednesday extracting stuff from a trashed hard drive for nice neighbour next door. It's a long story, to do with a very bright daughter who thought it would be a clever idea to "hack" mum's password-protected computer. She succeeded beyond her wildest dreams.

Anyway, I've got everything of importance back off the machine, and all is working OK on a new hard drive (running Win 7). She can read all her files etc, with one exception. Her calendar, with all her appointments etc for the next 3-4 months. It was in MS Works calendar ("because I've always done it that way").

I have a file called MSWKSCAL.WCD which I'm pretty sure is the relevant one. I also have everything else that was in the same directory.

We don't have MS Works - I never have had, and her machine came with the usual "restore partition" and not a single CD or DVD. The restore partition is, of course, on the dead hard drive. I'm not keen to buy a copy of Works (if such things still exist).

Does anyone know of anything that can read that file? I'll translate it onto Outlook, or some other calendar programme once it's been read.

Keef
20th Aug 2009, 00:58
I CRACKED IT!

MS Access opened it and displayed stuff, and the calendar is recovered.

I bet she will never use Works again!

Avtrician
20th Aug 2009, 07:04
I dont know why MS still put Works out, its a horrible mishmash cutdown version of everything in office, that is incompatible with the real world.

Keef
20th Aug 2009, 10:57
I understand there's even a new, free version - given away with PCs but not available for free download. Not with a bargepole!

Avtrician
20th Aug 2009, 12:23
It would have to be given away, no one with any sense would guy it.

Oh well, enough gate bashing