PDA

View Full Version : What present did you give your instructor after your CPL/ATPL?

Mgggpilot
18th Aug 2009, 06:05
A big number of students finishing their training at my school would give a bottle of wine to their instructors as a reflection of their gratitude and gratefulness to them.
I, would like to try a diffent present which will not only serve as my token of love and appreciation to them, but also make my instructor feel special that his efforts have not gone in vain.
Any suggestions for a present to my instructor?
What present did you give yours? Or just words of 'thank you' in your speech?!

Nedul1a
18th Aug 2009, 06:14
If you are looking to show love there are a number of things you could do to your instructor which he may or may not appreciate.

If it is a UK instructor he is probably quite happy with chocolates or wine, thats assuming you have any cash left after your training for such lavish gifts

polohippo
18th Aug 2009, 06:52
The presents I have received have varied from a torch to cash to a night on the town but usually I get wine which has varied between paint stripper and very very good stuff, the last bottle being 130 quid which I haven't had the chance to sample yet!

bfisk
18th Aug 2009, 10:58
I see this is a European thing. Didn't happen in the US :confused:

BigGrecian
18th Aug 2009, 12:36
I once got two litre bottles of gin in one week and a bottle of wine!

Trouble is flying six days a week I rarely get to enjoy such gifts.

Otto Throttle
18th Aug 2009, 12:41
The greatest gift you can give them, would be to find gainful flying employment. Until then, all you have succeeded in doing is keeping your instructor in paid employment.

ford cortina
18th Aug 2009, 13:56
If I remember correctly, I bought my CPL instructor a Bottle of scotch.:ok:
And it was in the states:eek:

mrwilko
18th Aug 2009, 20:47
I'd quite like a Mark 1 Ford Cortina.

heli_port
19th Aug 2009, 06:32
I'd like a BMW M5 with a sky blue metallic finish .. cheers

albatross
19th Aug 2009, 07:16
A big bottle of Scotch and a new aluminium clipboard to replace the plastic one which he broke over my rock hard, helmet enclosed, head. :E

RavenII
19th Aug 2009, 15:21
One of my students payed for my R44 rating after he finished his PPL in a 22 :-)

God bless him!!!! :ok:

Another student took me to a steakhouse and bought me as much fillet mignon as I could eat.........That was a fun night :-)

corsair
19th Aug 2009, 16:31
A present?:hmm: I had so many Instructors that I couldn't afford to buy them all presents. I thanked them for their help and undoubtedly bought most of them a drink at one time or other. That's all.

Adios
19th Aug 2009, 22:28
I know one lucky FI who received 2 boxes of Cuban cigars, one was Monte Christo and I forget the other. The student's father was an importer, but I'm sure they were still dear since there wouldn't have been any way around the UK customs duties. Make sure your FI actually smokes them before you splash out like this though.

B73
20th Aug 2009, 13:06
I thought it was a good gesture to buy a thank you gift too. Far short of ideas and funds I bought the Ops manager a bottle of red and my FI a crate of beer.

adverse-bump
20th Aug 2009, 21:53
two days before taking my IR a tyre blew out on the a/c I was ment to be doing the test with (and the only one the school had) the wasnt much left of it, large hole and lots of scuff marks.

after i passed i was given the tyre, which had been signed by all the staff at the school with a tip-ex pen!

I still have it on my shelf!

cheers matt!