PDA

View Full Version : Search & Copying electronic devices....

wrenchbender
18th Aug 2009, 02:30
I was reading this thread about the search & seizure of electronic devices at certain borders, and I cannot reply to it as it is closed for some reason. Anyway, people responding to the original poster (Old King Cole) were ridiculing him for warning people about this invasion of privacy. I think people should be aware that the copying of electronic devices at borders around the world is certainly a reality. For instance, it happens randomly at many American border points. Here is a link to a legal brief regarding this problem;

http://w2.eff.org/legal/cases/US_v_arnold/arnold_amicus.pdf

RandyBMC
18th Aug 2009, 03:19
What are they looking for exactly?

Thanks,
Randy

boiler
18th Aug 2009, 04:17
If you want something to stay private, just get one of the many encryption software codes out there and encrypt your files. Even if they manage to copy this file there is no way they can open it unless they have the password as well. There are even ways of making the encrypted file 'invisible' and not be seen. Just do your homework and you will be fine.

Pirated software on the other hand is a different story.

Al Fakhem
18th Aug 2009, 06:41
There are even ways of making the encrypted file 'invisible' and not be seen.

I am sure there are also ways of making people reveal the password:ok:

boiler
18th Aug 2009, 10:38
That is why you can 'hide' the encrypted folder so that it does not show even if the parent folder's option is set to show all files regardless. There are many techniques and all you have to do is do a simple google search for them. They cannot ask for the password if the folder does not exist and cannot be seen.

Miles Gustaph
18th Aug 2009, 13:17
" They cannot ask for the password if the folder does not exist and cannot be seen."
...no but the handy little USB flash-drive that has software developed by a very nice company in the U.S for the U.S Government does make everything visible...

...And don't zip your files either they make you open them

...and don't turn up with a Mac that just screws with their heads big time and makes them vanish into the back room for two hours while they have a really good root through it.

...Guys take this very seriously as they quite simply take whatever they take offense to off you... do you really want:
a) a Saudi government official to keep your laptop with everything on it? because the contents will be read and distributed.

b)be in Saudi without your laptop... you know it's such a fun place to be.

Mike.Park
18th Aug 2009, 14:17
If you have confidential data, DO NOT store it on devices that can be taken off you even if your data is encrypted. In countries where authoritarian regimes rule, you'll be busted for not handing over keys or passwords to decrypt data - so in a nutshell, your damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

The only solution is to ensure your confidential data is stored in the 'cloud' using an online data storage/vault service that is located and hosted in a country with strong data protection legislation.

Most countries in the Arab world do not have Extradition Agreements or Mutual Legal Assistance Treaties with the democratic world so there is no way your data would ever be released or divulged to illegitimate governments :ok:

Bushfiva
18th Aug 2009, 14:33
As others have said: if data needs to be secure within a given jurisdiction, don't bring it into that jurisdiction. Instead, bring only the access key, which may be anything from a password typed into a website through to a USB drive with a random signature.

boiler
18th Aug 2009, 16:24
There are many online storage/backup sites that can offer unlimited capacity cheaply (Mozy and Carbonite come to mind). Just keep the address to yourself and do not keep the shortcut in the bookmarks. Yahoo and Google could also be 'used' to store GB of stuff.

Miles Gustaph
18th Aug 2009, 17:18
I will vouch for mobile ME as being a good cloud, of-site storage system, and you can get it from any internet connection.... very handy.

Seriously people don't have ANY photos or movies on your computer... movies=pirated in the Saudi consciousness & photos=an excuse to deprive you of said hardware.

O and make sure you have virus software, some of the techniques used to examine your computer etc can pass viruses on...