PDA

View Full Version : The $400M helicopter... with nuclear bomb proof kitchen

mickjoebill
18th Aug 2009, 01:23
Is this report accurate?
One of the new marine one EH-101 helicopters will cost more than the price of two of the existing Airforce One 747s???

Nuclear attack no time for a snack: Obama - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/18/2659006.htm)

This for adaption of an existing airframe!

Mickjoebill

widgeon
18th Aug 2009, 09:20
"Mr Obama's comments come after he pledged to fight against "exotic projects that are years behind schedule and billions over budget" in a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars service organisation."

Not to encourage thread drift , but what other rotary wing project falls into this catagory ?.

Pandalet
18th Aug 2009, 10:35
Possibly the Osprey tilt-rotor, depending on which statistics you look at / who you believe.

powerstall
18th Aug 2009, 10:52
I agree with the bomb proof kitchen... but in the heli? :confused:

Would you want anybody messing with your Thanksgiving Turkey when it's in the oven? i know i wouldn't! :eek:

Hilife
18th Aug 2009, 11:59
One would hope the ‘Thunder Box’ was equally well protected. ;)

Robbo Jock
18th Aug 2009, 12:18
The new helicopter was to be based on Lockheed's EH-101 aircraft, currently produced by a British-Italian partner

Interesting take on the parentage of the aircraft.

Brilliant Stuff
18th Aug 2009, 12:59
I believe Airforce One was a fixed price contract. I ahven't finished reading he book yet though.

widgeon
18th Aug 2009, 21:05
To be fair to AW ( and even Bell Boeing ) there is only one recent Helicopter Procurement in the USA that has been on budget and on time. The Lakota .UH1 Whisky and Yankee are both late and overbudget , ARH Cancelled , Commanche Cancelled , CH53K now under a gag order . In fact the last succesful procurement before Lakota was Blackhawk. I don't believe that the most blame is with the manufacturer. Caveat Emptor .
They need to fix the process.