PDA

View Full Version : Visual 03L ORTIA

i-Robot
17th Aug 2009, 18:51
Hi all,

Was talking to a colleague and some confusion about the visual onto 03 Left arises. If given the visual for 03L and you go-around, with a comms failure, what missed approach will you comply with?

Thanks for the thoughts.

4HolerPoler
17th Aug 2009, 19:29
If given the visual and you:

:sad: Go around

and then

:rolleyes: have a comms failure

You're having a bad day. Yours is an academic question and there's almost certainly an academic answer but just do what you think is right - squawk 7600, transmit as normal as that might be working, stay visual if you can, fly a left-hand pattern, check your TCAS display (if that's also gone you're having a really bad day), turn base, finals and land. Call the tower from ops.

That's what I'd do - might not be the correct academic answer but as the PIC it's your call.

LittleMo
18th Aug 2009, 10:33
I agree with 4holer, think it just isn't your day if that happens. Another thing would perhaps be the thing to do is follow the published go around procedure on the ILS plate, but i reckon a left hand visual circuit while squaking 7600 is best. Send flowers to the chick in the tower after u land ;)

johan_jnb
18th Aug 2009, 11:38
i'm going with a copy paste from another source:
follow your companies approach/ground plates or STAR (if cleared), if not follow ILS+DME 03L MISAP with comm failure - climb 8700, at 7000 left track 214, at 11/JSV left to 'JSV' :ok:

Antman
18th Aug 2009, 15:36
This is an age old debate.
Personally I'm with 4 holer you are cleared into the visual circuit (visual approach), stay there. The missed approach is part of an approach you need to be cleared for. If for instance you're cleared for a visual onto a runway with more than 1 instrument approach(ILS, NDB, VOR, VOR/DME, GPS,GNSS etc) and the missed approaches differ, which missed approach does ATC expect??? I say look out the window, stay in the cicuit and land ASAP.

A2161/09 - ILS RWY 03L NOT AVBL, IDENT IS CODING TEST. 14 AUG 11:40 2009 UNTIL 30 AUG 16:00
2009 ESTIMATED. CREATED: 14 AUG 11:40 2009

Besides the ILS for 03L is not usable so why would you fly the published miss for an approach which is not available.

i-Robot
18th Aug 2009, 20:57
Thanks for the reply guys,

It is purely academic, I agree. I did some digging of my own and determined that it is a visual manoeuvring segment of an instrument approach according to ICAO document 8168. So, theoretically one should comply with the published missed approach for the applicable runway's instrument approach (similar to a circle to land missed approach). But, I fully agree with 4-holer and Antman, in practicality, stay in the visual circuit and land asap....because the question is, which missed approach for a runway with multiple instrument approaches...

Goldfish Jack
19th Aug 2009, 04:41
The requirements as laid out in the AIP for a visual approach make the following assumptions;
· The pilot will remain in VMC
· That a landing is reasonably assured
· That ATC is responsible for traffic separation
· A visual approach does not cancel IFR

If a pilot has been cleared for an Instrument Approach procedure (ILS) and elects to "continue visually" or is in VMC and a go around is required, he should comply with the published Instrument approach procedure.

If a pilot has been cleared for a visual approach (released from the STAR and NOT CLEARED FOR AN INSTRUMENT APROACH PROCEDURE), there is no missed approach segment, in the absence of a published visual approach procedure.

Based on the assumptions made by the AIP for a visual approach the only reasons for a go around during a visual approach would be unstable or unsafe approach (pilot elected) or a reduction in separation (ATC Instruction). In a pilot elected go around the pilot will provide his desired intentions (e.g. enter the circuit).

However, in both instances, the Go Around instructions will be provided by ATC as they are responsible for traffic separation.

Thats my 5 cents worth.

If you have a radio failure have to agree with 4holer and Antman