PDA

View Full Version : Instructing in the Middle East

timzsta
17th Aug 2009, 14:27
I am currently working as an FI in the UK, but things have really been hit hard by the recession here and there seems to be little chance of a move to the airlines few the next couple of years at least.

I have often thought about moving to one of the Gulf States to live and work eventually and am considering looking for work as an Instructor in the UAE/Qatar/Oman.

I have found some flying schools in the region on the internet and was wondering if anyone could tell what life is like out there for an FI? Terms and conditions etc?

Also how hard would it be for my partner to get a visa to move with me (we are not married)?

Flyingstig
17th Aug 2009, 18:04
I cant speak for the first part of the question, but the second part is easy.
Damn Difficult! There was a time when the Emirates were fairly tolerant. One could apply a scale that had Saudi at one end and Dubai at the othr. Between them it went something like Kuwait / Qatar / bahrain / Jordan/ Lesser Emirates/ Oman / Abu Dhabi / Dubai.
However, just heard that someone was arrested in a mall in Abu Dhabi for a `greeting kiss` with someone not their wife!
Things are getting tighter all round the Middle East!
Did you think of posting on the Middle East forum? You might get a truer response and there are also some good local guys who visit there who might give you another perspective!

Good Luck !"nothing ventured............"

portsharbourflyer
18th Aug 2009, 10:30
When I was interviewed for the Qatar airways second officer scheme a few years back (young enough to be eleigible for SO at that point, also wasn't sucessful to add); it was made clear at the interview to be able to live with my girlfriend in Doha we would have to marry.

.air
20th Aug 2009, 07:49
well i dnt believe in that, may be its the case of Doha. Try Jordon. I am a Flight Instructor here and so many of my colleagues live with their girl friends. You can try Horizon academy, last time I went there they had 20 instructor. Finding a job is difficult these days :ok:best of luck