PDA

View Full Version : Puma seats needed!

PingDit
16th Aug 2009, 14:07
Hi All,

The guys at the Farnborough Air Sciences Museum are after some seats to put into their Puma. Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Ping

Fareastdriver
16th Aug 2009, 21:11
In the mid seventies a Puma of 240 OCU tipped over whilst taking off. It was not badly damaged but during the clear up operation all the aircraft seats were loaded into a three-tonner. The RAF Regt driver asked the SWO what to do with them. "get rid of them." was the order. so he did.
There is a car breakers/scrap merchant near Fleet in Hampshire who may well still have the results of that transaction some thirty years ago.

PingDit
16th Aug 2009, 21:20
Many thanks FED, I'm only 5 miles away, I shall so enquire!

Ping

foxvc10
17th Aug 2009, 10:20
Ping

PM'd you.

Foxvc10

ShyTorque
17th Aug 2009, 18:31
FarEastDriver,

Time flies, but I recall that story well. I heard that the deed only came to light when someone from Eng wing drove past the scrapyard and saw a Puma seat being used as a child's swing, hanging from a tree.

But it was thirty years ago; I'd be very surprised if there was anything remaining now.

P.S. Wasn't it the scrappy on short finals to Blackbushe, eastern end?

NutLoose
17th Aug 2009, 19:09
That would have been N*bs, nice as pie when sober..ahh after Demob he got a job as a delivery driver with parcelforce or similar I believe, did he noy on one excursion to deliver at Odious he espied the SWO and set off in his van across the grass after him and was banned from the station after that?, rumours were he lost his job after deliveries where no one was at home got rehoused so to speak.

Did he not get off the Puma incident as he was told to get rid of them and the RAF had to buy them back for the BOI. I remember the incident, the liney running from the incident was hit by a section of rotorblade that had struck the ground first then bounced up and hit him flat on the back, pushing him over. Other bits went through trhe caravan missing those inside.

PingDit
18th Aug 2009, 22:22
Many thanks for the replies! With many thanks to Foxvc10, we may have now solved our problem! Always open to spares though!

Ping