PDA

View Full Version : ATC Compulsory Relocations

mrtwister
16th Aug 2009, 09:40
How often do ASA exercise their right to the 'compulsory relocation' these days?
I'm about to sign my offer contract and I was wondering how many controllers have found themselves on the receiving end of the 'we need you somewhere else' pep talk (although I'm assuming there's not really much of a pep talk involved). I understand there used to be a 'mobility policy' where controllers were required to move quite frequently to 'spread the love' and increase their holistic controlling experiences but since that got ditched, has it become a thing of the past almost? I think I would resent the move if it happened.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
16th Aug 2009, 10:23
If it's in the contract, and you sign it, and it happens, I'd say you got two choices.

Blockla
16th Aug 2009, 11:25
Be careful though, the CDP tower controller program very much enforced the move to learn policy; to stay on station you had to win a job (as you were only temporary at location).

But if you are going to enroute, then you're pretty much guaranteed to stay in the major centres unless you apply for a different location.

Rumours of a super centre is out there, which may mean one enroute/app facility in some mans distant future so this may invoke the movement clauses... Check out any differences in words to your offer and what is in the VR clauses in the certified agreement; the same words will have the same effect; if they are different ask why.

Ring the Civil Air office, ASA HR in Canberra or search on line for a copy of the CA... Do it before you sign for peace of mind.

man on the ground
16th Aug 2009, 12:36
The times they are a'changing!

The 'forced' move between centres is likely to be tried very soon; just because they can.

And the pep will consist of "bend over and brace yourself"