PDA

View Full Version : Chipmunk Is Beautiful

Pages : [1] 2

lelolo44
16th Aug 2009, 08:24
Hi,
I got a chippie from RAF 13 years ago, at a time i was flying for CARGO LION on DC8 , i went to London and got her at the PHILLIPS auction house. Well all i can say is that the chippie is really the best ration cost/pleasure i know !
I'm just discovering PPRUNE and as some of you are ex RAF, or ex NAVY, or ex CANADIAN AIR FORCES or ex ...well we are all ex something ! i'm looking for any books or copies concerning the chipmunk and the art of flying her in the air forces, in france we used to have "manuel du travail aérien" , and i guess in your air forces you used to have the equivalent !
I can offer nice rides in the chippie.....i'm in france but never far from RYANAIR !
thanks people...

ACW599
16th Aug 2009, 09:13
Just don't forget that IUCFTDMBSRL and My Friend Fred Has Hairy B*llocks.

Lovely aeroplane -- lucky man.

Background Noise
16th Aug 2009, 09:46
There are lots of Chipmunk books online - still have my Dad's somewhere which still worked when I joined.

Flight Manuals on CD - De Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk (http://www.flight-manuals-on-cd.com/Chipmunk.html)

Chipmunk Pilots Notes: Amazon.co.uk: Air Ministry: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chipmunk-Pilots-Notes-Air-Ministry/dp/0859790231)

wingcmdr
16th Aug 2009, 09:52
Hi there lelolo44

Have a look at Caledonian Chipmunks - Index (http://www.caledonianchipmunks.co.uk/)

Lots of chippie owners from around the world and lots of good blokes to help you out.

Still remember my first flight in a Chippie.......14 year old cadet and spent the whole flight watching the floor compass spinning around as too short to see out of the cockpit.

Good luck

Cheers

Wander00
16th Aug 2009, 10:03
lelolo41 - where in France? - I am in S Vendee. I flew 30 hours on Chipmunks when I a was a Cadet t RAF College Cranwell. What was serial number of yours - I will see if I flew it

cornish-stormrider
16th Aug 2009, 13:39
First Flight, First Aero's, one word - Awesome....

Cemented me on a career of 8 years

scarecrow450
16th Aug 2009, 15:59
1st flight over the Firth of Forth 30 yrs ago, fantastic flight and aircraft.

Just wondering is it a cheap aircraft to fly compared to more modern and boring aircraft ? Bet the pleasure outweighs the cost though !! :ok::ok::ok:

Tankertrashnav
16th Aug 2009, 16:57
How many of us started our love affair with flying by seeing that film about the cadets flying Chipmunks? I dont mean the ATC briefing one, but one about Cranwell I think. Came out in the 50's sometime and I remember my local cinema had it on as a support feature when they were showing The Dam Busters. Only managed a few flights in them over the years - but unforgettable. Lelo, I envy you!

BTW Scarecrow - I know what you mean, I think, but no aircraft is boring, surely?

GPMG
16th Aug 2009, 17:17
Jump jump John.

Rigga
16th Aug 2009, 18:00
First Flight in a chippie circa 1972

... and two flew in loose formation over my house this afternoon (I know at least one is based 2 miles away) I even remarked upon it to Mrs Rigga!!

The B Word
16th Aug 2009, 18:17
Don't forget that the RAF still have 2 Chippies on their books...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/rafcms/mediafiles/4BD3B8E0_1143_D71E_46822BFDDBBA22C6.jpg

The BBMF Chippies are 2 of the finest around - and I've flown these and about 3 others (and I agree).

Info here Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - The Chipmunk (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/chipmunk.cfm)

The B Word

NutLoose
16th Aug 2009, 18:24
Well you are in for a treat, they are releasing a NEW book all about the little Chippie,

details are here

DHC-1FLYER.COM - The de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk, The Poor Man?s Spitfire - A book about the de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk aircraft (http://www.dhc-1flyer.com/)

Background Noise
16th Aug 2009, 19:07
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif Wow - £40 plus p&p. A good read though I should think.

Matt101
16th Aug 2009, 19:23
The Chipmunk was just being phased out when I joined the ATC (Yes sorry I am quite young) but managed one flight (AEF) in one of the last to be retired.

30 mins in this beautiful, fun machine is responsible for me getting into the madness of aviation.

Not that I am jealous or anything but....... you lucky bugger, enjoy! :ok:

lelolo44
16th Aug 2009, 21:52
Well, i didn't expect so much feedbacks in such a short period of time !! I share my life with WK562, nothing modified since RAF except engine starter, kept the original intercom plugs, she's really lovely, and nicknamed "Krazykat", i thought it would be good to call her with a nickname that is associated with my wife's name/...because she would never think of selling the chippie ! well, until now it worked perfectly .

Yep i know there are few books about the chippie, i've got the old ones and will get the next ones...but in fact what i'm looking for is the book from the RAF, that instructors and pupils shared to learn the basic f formation flying, aerobatic, etc etc ...in france we had the equivalent to fly Fougas, TB30 etc ....i'm really interested by such a book !

I'm located in nantes, west of france, north of LA LOIRE, ...and the chippie flew yesterday with me and my wife over the countryside at sunset ...burning 30 liters per hour (1.5 euro per liter) , costing 70 euros per month for hangar, and 460 euros per year for insurance (liability), and for that cost i go and play with the clouds, try to maintain my aerobatic basics, and sometimes my formation flying practice as well ...I LOVE "the poor man's spitfire " !

althenick
17th Aug 2009, 02:42
A smashing Aircraft. :ok:

Had my first powered flight at the age of 12 in a Chippy - RNAS Culdrose Gliding Clubs to be precise. It had a little plaque on one of the seats stating that Prince Charles Had done his initial Flying Training in it. I think my dad may have piccys

Mick Strigg
17th Aug 2009, 07:29

................and so does the RN Historic Flight!

Royal Navy Historic Flight - The Aircraft (http://www.royalnavyhistoricflight.org.uk/aircraft/)

Arclite01
17th Aug 2009, 08:16
The RN colour scheme works really well on the Chippie I think.

Murder to keep clean though................

Arc

youngskywalker
17th Aug 2009, 08:51
Is it just me or does the picture of the black Chippie look a little like the Tucano when viewed from underneath?! Really pretty aeroplane though.

NutLoose
17th Aug 2009, 09:29
Don't know if you know, but they used the same back end design layout for the fin and rear fuselage as on the Mosquito, you only notice it's resemblance when someone points it out to you, this is where you all go scrabbling for a pic to look at and go ooooohhhhhh :)

airborne_artist
17th Aug 2009, 09:45
I have a princely 10 mins solo in the mighty Chipmunk, courtesy of RN Grading flight. Despite the fact that it wasn't my first solo, it's one I still treasure the most.

Wander00
17th Aug 2009, 10:03
Lelolo44 - where do you fly from - when I am up that way I'll stand at the fence and take pictures - with some of that well-known dust getting in my eyes!

Studefather
17th Aug 2009, 10:40
Lelolo44,

"TC/250262 Chipmunk T10 Student Pilot Guide" would be the thing you are looking for.

A4 size, light blue soft card covers, and around 20mm thick but quite difficult to find these days.

Good hunting.

S

Flying Lawyer
17th Aug 2009, 10:47

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/chipmunk1.jpg

..... And one of them is very special.
To me anyway. ;)
I did my first solo in WK518 in 1971. (ULAS)
It didn't have the high-conspicuity black paint scheme in those days, of course.

FL

Wander00
17th Aug 2009, 11:01
Lelolo44 - I flew WB562, not WK562, several times at Cranwell

John Eacott
17th Aug 2009, 11:18
RN Historic Flight:

Chipmunk T.10 WK608 was built by the de Havilland Aircraft Company at Chester and, following early service with the Royal Air Force, entered service with the Royal Navy's Britannia Flight at Roborough (now Plymouth City Airport) in June 1966. She served with the unit until retirement of the type from service in 1993, transferring to the RNHF at Yeovilton in July of that year, thus becoming the last flying example of the type in RN service.

http://www.royalnavyhistoricflight.org.uk/images/chipmunk_peel.jpg

My first couple of flights with Britannia Flight were in WK608 with Mr Brown, 1st Feb 1968: seems only a year or two ago :ok:

RotatingPart
17th Aug 2009, 11:43
Don't forget the WD325 from the Army Historic Aircraft Flight!

http://dsc02888/:}

Heliport
17th Aug 2009, 12:58
AHAF

You can't post a picture direct from your hard drive.

See: How to post photographs (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/145070-how-post-photographs-incl-photography-tips-gurus.html)

H.

Fareastdriver
17th Aug 2009, 13:17
I was at RAF Heany near Bulawayo in the then Rhodesia in the early fifties. 4 FTS used Tiger Moths and Harvards but they phased out the Tigers for Chipmunks. When the FTS was folded in 1954 they auctioned off all the transport, aircraft and equipment. If you were, then, as some people were, you could have got yourself a brand new Chipmunk, in its crate.

fincastle84
17th Aug 2009, 15:29
I did my RAF flying scholarship in a 'Chippie' at Castle Donnington, now EMA, in 1965. Great aircraft which forgave a very average pilot. Happy memories.
Still flying, BA Club class.:ok:

Warmtoast
17th Aug 2009, 22:00
FarEastDriver

I was stationed at RAF Thornhill (5 FTS) arriving there in August 1951. When I arrived Tiger Moths were used for primary training, but starting in September 1951 Chipmunk T.10s started to replace the Tiger Moths at 5 FTS.

5 FTS was allocated 27 Chipmunk T.10s. Built at Hawarden near Chester, they were crated and shipped out to Durban in South Africa and transferred to rail trucks for the journey to 394 MU at RAF Heany near Bulawayo where they were assembled, flight tested and then flown up to Thornhill.

When the Rhodesian Air Training Group closed in October 1953 flying clubs in South Africa and Australia realised that the many surplus RAF Chipmunks now on offer were an economic alternative to the purchase of new aircraft.
Eleven used Chipmunks were imported into Australia via South Africa. They proved so popular that when the RAF released further aircraft in 1956, W.S. Shackleton Ltd were appointed to purchase Chipmunks on behalf of the Federation of Australian Aero Clubs. In total some 80 ex-RAF Chipmunks were exported to Australia.

Photos below from my album show:

Th first Chipmunk T.10 to arrive at 5 FTS in September 1951
..and others

and the last two Tiger Moths from 5 FTS departing to join the Rhodesian Air Force near Salisbury.

Other fairly long in the tooth Tiger Moths were sold 'as-is' and £15 - £50 each was the going rate. Some locals dipped into their pockets and bought some, but not many - most of the Tiger Moths were scrapped.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Thornhill/Thornhill-Chipmunk.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Thornhill/ChipmunkT10.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Thornhill/ChipmunkT10-1.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Thornhill/ChipmunkT105.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Thornhill/ChipmunkFormation.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Thornhill/Thornhill-TigerMoth4.jpg

innuendo
18th Aug 2009, 03:55
Lelolo,
I still have my Chipmunk checklist from my primary training in the RCAF in 1958. I could scan it and send you a copy if you want to PM me with an E-Mail.

lelolo44
18th Aug 2009, 05:09
TC/250262 Chipmunk T10 Student Pilot Guide" !! that's the thing ...wellnowi just have to find it....sounds easier with a name...

Warmtoast, seeing your pics and reading your history with the chippie, it makes people realize that we are talking about an 1940's airplane ...and so popular after more than 60 years !! People reactions in that thread tell us about that popularity , to have designed such an aircraft is clearly an achievement .

Boxkite Montgolfier
18th Aug 2009, 06:32
Well done lelo44- I am sure you have started a long thread!
The general manual for flying in the RAF is the dreaded AP129 and coincidentaly as I clear up my 'residence secondaire' I have found a 1954 copy which is fascinating.
I flew the Chipmunk in ULAS,RAF and subsequently as 'famil' pilot for cadets, prior to a commercial aviation career, amassing probably over 750 hrs on type. I have some interesting experiences with cadets in the back with access to the rear magneto switches!!
Needless to say we survived happily
Bon chance with the thread- I will look up my logbooks next time in London and see if your baby features

Fareastdriver
18th Aug 2009, 09:56
WE had a 'baby spitfire' Chipmunk for a short time at Honington. During the intervening period between the Valiant being grounded to the squadrons being disbanded Chipmunks were issued to keep the pilots in flying practice. At 90 Sqn we received WP850.
This aircraft had spent a long time in Cyprus being used for reconnaissance duties during the Cyprus Emergency. To this end it had been painted in a standard grey/green camoflage finish with grey undersides. It only had about three hundred hours on so it was virtually new. We painted a 90 Sqn rudder flash on it and we had our minature Spitfire.
A lot of our squadron ground crew found out what it was like to be upside down in flight.

BEagle
18th Aug 2009, 18:43
I was fortunate enough to have 4 super years in ULAS flying the Chippie at the beginning of the 1970s!

It should have been only 3, but the lure of flying was so strong that I had to repeat my 2nd year at QMC!

I did a friend's renewal LST in the back of his Chippie a year or so ago - the fee was reduced by £5 per aerobatic manoeuvre that he let me fly. I think we settled on a fiver.

What a super little aeroplane. Just needed about 180-200 bhp and a C/S prop and it would have been perfect.

boris
18th Aug 2009, 22:33
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Chipmunk was originally designed using not the Mosquito but the DH Hornet as some sort of aerodynamic template which would/could help at a time when man-hours available for design work would be hard to come by.

If you look closely and halve the number of engines, it could be true.

Has anyone else heard or read this?

I was lucky enough to have completed my CPL course on this lovely aircraft and went on to become an instructor on type for a couple of years - even had it as my first CPL type rating!

Ahhh, de Havilland................

con-pilot
18th Aug 2009, 22:57
I had the great pleasure of flying a highly modified Chipmunk for a while. It had a 300hp Lycoming engine, a modified bubble canopy, standard hydraulic brakes on the rudder peddles and the vertical stabilizer and rudder size had been increased to handle the torque from the engine.

You could do a inside square loop with no problems, the guy that owned it would do outside square loops, I wasn't that brave, or that eager to pull that many negative Gs for so long either for that matter.

A very sad end to the story of my friend owning that Chipmunk. He got married, started having children and his wife made him sell it. :(

I never did find out what happened to it after he sold it.

I just remember how much fun it was to fly.

Dan Winterland
19th Aug 2009, 01:19
The Chipmunk was designed by Wsiewolod Jakimuik who was also heavily involved in the Mosquito project, so similarities are not accidental. Jakimuik escaped Poland during the German WW2 invasion and after the War went to Canada where he also designed the Beaver.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/chippys.jpg

lelalo - I have some documents from my time as a RAF QFI on the Chippy, including the Student Study Guide. PM me with a snail mail address and I will send you a copy.

boris
19th Aug 2009, 11:26
Dan

I think you might find that the Hornet was much closer to the Chipmunk than was the Mosquito. Look paticulaly at the squared off wingtips and tailplane which on the Mossie is eliptical.

All three of course, were wonderful aircraft!

Carry0nLuggage
20th Aug 2009, 09:50
Many thanks to the pilot of the Chippie making a tight turn over Chez Luggage yesterday afternoon just as I was heading into the garden with a mug of tea. Spilt most of it down my leg whilst craining my neck round to watch you, but it was worth it.

Silver, with yellow bands. Marvellous!

(Only managed a couple of flights in 5AEF's Chipmunks as an air cadet. Apart from the fun of climbing in with seat type chute on, the other thing which suck in my mind was the directness of the controls. Seemed like it was thought control; think where you want to go and the that's where the aircraft went!)

Exnomad
24th Aug 2009, 18:35
Chipmunk is indeed beautiful, unfortunately as an RAF basic trainer it was much too easy to fly.I enjoyed almost every minute of my time on her. I came top of my BFTS on Chipmunks in 1952, but failed miserably when asked to fly something more difficult I ended up in that somewhat derided occupation- navigator.

merv32249213
25th Aug 2009, 06:18
Worked on the chippie at DH SDCR Leavesden 1957.
Had to do checks on all u/c top attachment fixtures as one had been found to have moved on the serrations and developed an out of track situation.
Mods were hard when they had to be carried out inside the Fuse. We had to sedate one fitter when he got stuck down the rear and panicked.
If my memory serves me right, the chippies were ex RAF being prepared for the Ghana Air Force.
Always thought the Cartridge starter pull ring was a bit naff , had a pepsi cola can opener feel about it.
Must admit the aircraft looked smart with its DeHavilland family tail.

Fareastdriver
25th Aug 2009, 09:28
Had to do checks on all u/c top attachment fixtures as one had been found to have moved on the serrations and developed an out of track situation.

So that's why I used to swing all over the runway after a three-pointer.

Mandator
25th Aug 2009, 18:19
Tomorrow, 26 August, is the 60th anniversary of the first flight of the first UK-built Chipmunk, WB549, with Pat Fillingham in the chair.

lelolo44
25th Aug 2009, 18:56
That's "a date" !!! how many aircrafts can claim such numbers still flying and popular after 60 years ???

Flying Lawyer
25th Aug 2009, 21:29
merv32249213Always thought the Cartridge starter pull ring was a bit naff , had a pepsi cola can opener feel about it.
True ..... but such a wonderful smell when the cartridge fired.
Some years later I used to fly a civvy Chipmunk with an electric starter. Efficient, but lacking in character.
Or, more accurately, efficient when it worked. The aircraft wasn't flown very often so I had to hand-swing the prop almost as often.

FL

Jig Peter
26th Aug 2009, 15:36
After National Service Wings in 1950 (the "odd" Prentice and great Harvard) I was delighted to be able to fly Chipmunks with the VR at Marshalls (Cambridge UAS didn't take qualified pilots, they told me). Much, much more fun than "Modern Language" studies (far too much poring over "old" litteratchooer, hardly any parlez-vous)...
I still remember those flights with most of the pleasure I felt then, and they led not long afterwards to my re-joining the Service and to many a happy hour on Vampires with 2TAF (as it was then), discovering that they were just as well-balanced and responsive as Mr. Jakimiuk's beautiful little design.
Then came Venoms ... "Vampires with grunt" you might say today, but somewhere DHs had lost the balance of the controls (light, spring tabbed ailerons but heavy on the elevator). But still a match for most (our Canadian Boss used to say that the Venom had it all over the Sabre "like a tent" ...).
But the Chipmunk remains The Standard for me (the Tiger Moths we got at Marshalls for a while were perhaps the biggest disappointment of my life till then, but good for teaching the adverse yaw effects of aileron ... not being a nostalgic, I appreciated that trip back to the '30s, but felt that there were much better thiings to come, and I was very, very keen to get at 'em).
A big "thank you" to DHC ...
:):ok:

Wander00
26th Aug 2009, 17:46
Happy Birthday, Chipmunk. Thanks for just over 30 hours of sheer fun

l.garey
28th Aug 2009, 10:00
Et bon anniversaire au Chipmunk d'un pilote ex-Oxford UAS, qui habite de l'autre côté de la frontière Suisse, non loin du Chipmunk à Lausanne.
Merci lelolo pour pour ce forum intéressant.

Laurence

ExSp33db1rd
28th Aug 2009, 10:36
Joined BOAC as a pilot, but had to get a Flight Nav. licence, and fly as Nav., before eventually moving into the right hand seat.

As it was 'their' fault that I wasn't flying as a pilot, and as I had to keep my licence valid,'they' povided a fleet of Chipmunks at Croydon, under the auspices of the Airways Aero Club and paid for the minimum 6 hours and 6 landings every 6 months, all we had to do was show up and help ourselves to a Chipmunk, kept that up for over 2 years, and moved to White Waltham when Croydon shut down.

Magic - and paid for !

twochai
29th Aug 2009, 14:38
And you're blaming your tool? Maybe somebody should've removed the UK version's anti-spin strakes, or not installed them in the first place!

"Always thought the Cartridge starter pull ring was a bit naff , had a pepsi cola can opener feel about it."
Sounds like Hatfield (or RAF requirements) should've left the electric starter alone, as well.

Question: why on earth did the UK version not use the elegant, single piece blown canopy of the Canadian built aircraft. I once heard an explanation, but cannot remember the details now, although I know it didn't make any sense then.

"how many aircrafts (sic) can claim such numbers still flying and popular after 60 years ???"
ummmm... Maybe the DHC-2???

Jig Peter
29th Aug 2009, 15:47
In the '50s, the RAF seemed to "have a thing" about quick starting and had cartridge starters on types such as the Venom and Canberra, so the Chipmunk must have been fitted with one, for "standardisation" ??... And the "ring pull" was fitted before pull-top cans came in, so who copied who(m)?
For me, the Chipmunk's oddest feature was the flap lever, operated with the right hand, needing a "change hands" on late finals, while when going to "flaps up" , it was only too easy to do one's thumb-nail a nasty mischief on the VHF box as the lever moved smartly forwards, pulled by that strong bungee. ("An 'Ouch' to Remember" to this day). :ugh::ugh:

About the Canadian "bubble" hood - it was brought in after most of the RAF's Chipmunks had already been built, and was no doubt felt by the "Pahs that be" to be an unnecessary piece of "go-faster" kit ...

Justiciar
2nd Sep 2009, 13:26
You guys are very lucky to have such fond memories. I have only held a licence for around six years but one of life's true joys is pulling our group Chippy out and taking off into the evening sky, as indeed I did last Thursday :ok:

l.garey
11th Oct 2009, 15:34
I just heard from a friend in the group that locally based (in Lausanne) Chipmunk HB-TUM (Portuguese 1372) was written off during a trip "home" to Portugal last weekend, 3 October 2009. I am told the crew are only slightly injured, but the aircraft is destroyed. It was operating from Covilha (COV) during a show, turned low at the end of the runway and stalled into trees. Photos look bad.

http://desastresaereosnews.********....-aereo-em.html (http://desastresaereosnews.*************/2009/10/aviao-caiu-durante-festival-aereo-em.html)
http://www.bfu.admin.ch/common/pdf/HB-TUM.pdf
ASN Aircraft accident 03-OCT-2009 De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk T22 HB-TUM (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=68394)

I put this news on another forum too, but thought it belonged here also

Laurence
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1471927)

Capot
12th Oct 2009, 19:02
For what it's worth, our Chief Pilot in the 1970's told of his time in the RAF when he took part in Chipmunk spinning trials, in Australia I think, to try and find out why there was a tendancy for Chipmunks not to recover from spins.

He said that after months of testing they came to the conclusion that the problem was that as pilots followed the classic recovery drill, when moving the stick fully forward it met an aerodynamic lock that felt exactly as though it had reached full travel. The solution, he said, was to get a boot on it (ie the one not doing the "full opposite rudder" bit) and shove the stick forward another inch or two until it did hit full travel.

I'm no expert; that's what he said. I tried spinning one a few years later, admittedly from a very great height, and it recovered easily without using the spare boot. But perhaps the strakes were another part of the solution?

bcgallacher
13th Oct 2009, 03:24
I did my flying training courtesy of an RAF flying scholarship at Perth Aerodrome in the 1960s and we were not permitted by the airforce to fly Chipmunks without anti-spin strakes and broad chord rudder, even then spin recovery was a little unpredictable sometimes it would spin flat and recovery would take longer for no apparent reason.
The only problem I had was that being "vertically challenged" ie short I couldnt see over the nose while taxying without 2 extra seat cushions! A beautiful aircraft to fly - years later I flew a Beagle Pup which had nearly the same feel as opposed to the sluggish Cessnas and Pipers.
For medical reasons I could not retain a PPL and turned to engineering and my first A and C licences were on the Chipmunk so even after 40 years I still have very fond memories of the aircraft.

acmeimports
6th Nov 2009, 23:21
HI
I think I must have missed you with Cargo Lion as I flew with them from around 1992 to 1994 after flying the DC-8s with African Safari for the previous 5 years.
Any way I have owned my Chipmunk (WG491) for the last 37 years after bringing it into the USA in the early 1970s. I rebuilt the aripalne in total and won "Best Military Classic" at Oshgosh Fly in 1977. I still enjoy flyin the airplane after 2000+hrs in the same machine. Some where I have in my collection of over 200 books and manuals on the Chippie I have a RAF Flight Instructors Manual issued by nthe RAF in the 1960s/70s which was given to me by an ex RAF fighter pilot who trained on the Chippie and went on to fly the Hawker Hunter and British Electric fighters.
I lived in Osrtende Belgium for 13 years while flying Dc8s all over XXXX and creation and finally decided to return to the USA in 1995 to play again with my toys and Chipmunk. I may have met you somewhere along the way??
All the best to who ever you are??
Jerry Florey
PFE/ retired

Toddington Ted
8th Nov 2009, 16:32
Amazing how sounds bring back memories. Just finishing cleaning the car yesterday (it had to be clean as I was driving to attend a Remembrance service today!) and in the sunny Lincs skies above at about 800 to 1000 ft was a lovely "Chippie" (silver with yellow trainer bands) flying north to south. Very nice to see and hear one again. I flew chippies at Plymouth (Roborough) during my RN flying grading course 30 years ago but time stands still when you see and hear one even now!

lelolo44
10th Nov 2009, 09:41
Hi,
well we werent' at the same time there because i joined in 1995/6 flying LX TLA and LX TLB sometimes with our jaguar /fanatic owner...sometimes with the ex air america pilot you know...well, i just loved it ! 37 years with the chippie must be one of the longest private career of a chipmunk no ?
DC8 was also such a good aircraft ...

whirlwind
13th Nov 2009, 04:49
lelolo44,

I thought I recognised WK562 as a registration. I last flew your aircraft on 27th May 1970, having gained my PPL on G-APLO and G-ARCR (DHC1s) at Perth the previous year. WK562 was then at White Waltham with No. 6AEF. I remember the flight to this day, strangely.
I'm still flying de Havilland... Tiger and Hornet Moths. Lovely.

WW

lelolo44
13th Nov 2009, 06:13
I'm happy you remember well WK562 ! When i did my checkride with Tim Orchard at Booker he told me she was a very fine example among chippies...well i felt that from her scent and her skin !
If you want to experience 40 years later a ride in WK562 i would suggest that you cross the "the channel" !
Didn't you make pictures of her at that time ? ;-)

sled dog
13th Nov 2009, 10:09
My very first flight was in a Chipmunk, as a young ( and probably slightly scared ) ATC cadet. I can still remember that evening at RAF Oakington.
Wonderful, but i never flew in one again.:{

Herod
17th Nov 2009, 19:07
More memories of WK562. She was on the strength of No.3 Air Experience Flight at Bristol Filton in 1976. The last time I flew her was 19.9.76, taking Air Cadets for their fun flying. Give the old girl a pat from me.

lelolo44
18th Nov 2009, 07:47
[ De Havilland Canada Chipmunk T10 (F-AZUR / WK562) France - Falaise 2004 ] (http://stanakshot.free.fr/affich2.php?img=4011)

this is a shot of WK562, wearing her F-AZUR (AZUR means endless sky in french...)

De Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk - (association looping) by Thomas BOGAERT | Pictaero (http://www.pictaero.com/en/pictures/picture,43561)

De Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T10, WK562, Royal Air Force (http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1101789/) in 1975

DHC-1flyer
21st Jan 2010, 13:48
Hate to burst your bubble (excuse the pun) but the Canadian blown canopy was introduced with the DHC-1B-2-S3 model ordered by the RCAF in late 1949.

Built to RCAF Spec.11-24 Issue 1, the blister canopy (which differed from the earlier RCAF Chipmunks with greenhouse style models) was first flown on DHC test and development aircraft CF-FHY through late 1949 and early 1950. First deliveries of the new model Chipmunks were accepted by the RCAF in mid 1950.

Meanwhile British production of Chipmunks with the sectioned canopy started in late 1949, by mid December only 17 had been completed at Hattfield. Initial deliveries to the Oxford and Cambridge UAS's began in the early spring of 1950 while production moved to Chester. With approx 900 yet to be built in the UK over the remaining production run it is clear to see that the Canadian bubble canopy was in use just as UK production was getting underway and that the bulk of UK production occured after the blister was in use in Canada.

I own and fly a Canadian model, visibility is magnificent, no drafts, rattles or leaks but the greenhouse style does (in my mind) visually represent a closer tie to the de Havilland models of the 1930s and has a nice clean top line following that of the fuselage.

Cheers,

H. Shields

kms901
21st Jan 2010, 18:59
I also flew in WK562 when she was with 6AEF in 1970. Glad to hear that the old girl is still with us. A proper aeroplane.

Gee 7
20th Apr 2010, 07:43
If you love the Chippie, don't miss the Chipmeet! :D
www.chipmeet.com (http://www.chipmeet.com)

Some pics of the 2009 edition on:
http://www.ericcoeckelberghs.com/index.php?page=2009_chipmeet&year=2009 (http://www.ericcoeckelberghs.com/index.php?page=2009_chipmeet&year=2009) :ok:

alisoncc
22nd Apr 2010, 03:21
Sled Dog wrote:
My very first flight was in a Chipmunk, as a young ( and probably slightly scared ) ATC cadet. I can still remember that evening at RAF Oakington.

Mine was in 1957 at RAF Chivenor. ATC annual camp. Absolutely loved it. There's one still flying in Oz, at Camden airfield south of Sydney. My daughter tried to organise a 50th aniversary flight in 2007 for me, but unfortunately it didn't come off.

HappyJack260
25th Apr 2010, 23:21
The Chipmunk at Camden is now back on-line, after having a new centre section installed. It was WB 675, now VH-AKB, and is a real pleasure to fly, though I have to say that seeing 45kts indicated on finals is a little scary (after being used to the Pitts).

SinglePin
20th Sep 2010, 09:46
Chipmunk WK562 is a special aircraft for me as well. My first flight in a light aircraft was with the ATC at Filton in June 1984 in this aircraft. I remember doing aero’s over the Severn Bridge barely able to see outside the aircraft from the back seat, but I was hooked on flying. I joined the RAF and on Wings graduation had a year holding until my OCU, so I found a place on 10 AEF at RAF Woodvale in Feb 1992 to fly the Chipmunk. Guess what, the aircraft I did my conversion on was WK562 with Martin Mayer the boss of 10 AEF and ex boss of ETPS. I learned a lot about flying from this fantastic combination. I flew this aircraft on and off for the next year, hopefully firing a passion to fly in more young aviators. I hope our paths will cross again, look after her.

spook
20th Sep 2010, 11:12
Perfect - looks as though I've got the right thread to clear up a long standing question. Can anyone identify where this was taken? Late 70's, Chipmunk was part of the Southampton UAS fleet and it was taken of my father during a summer camp - but neither of us can remember where. Possibly Leconfield?
Any help would be great.
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo311/spook228/chippie.jpg

B Fraser
20th Sep 2010, 13:24
I flew a Chipmunk out of Booker with a former Nimrod display pilot for a jolly. We laboured up to 5000 feet and before we started looping and rolling, he asked "Do you want to see what happens if you get slow in the circuit ?" I flew a practice base leg profile and slowed to 50 kts before turning for final and the world fell apart. I was looking up at the cows in a split second. He commented .... "Imagine doing that in a PA-28 at 500 feet, they would collect you with a shovel".

IMHO, every student should be allowed to cock it up in a safe environment. It teaches you why the numbers are sooooo important.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Sep 2010, 15:21
Uh? 50kts is fine for a Chippy approach on a still day. It certainly shouldn't result in loss of control unless it's accompanied by some pretty gross mishandling. What exactly happened in your instance?

B Fraser
20th Sep 2010, 19:29
The turn was pretty normal however we were at 5,000 feet and probably had no flap. The point of the exercise was to demonstrate what could go wrong if your mind wasn't on the job in hand. I said 50 kts as that was the last speed I remembered given the instruction was to let the speed decay and turn when told. The Chipmunk snap rolled which was rather fun. I don't remember clearly if it rolled towards the turn or away as it was a few years ago. Logic suggests it was towards the turn however it may well have been otherwise. In any case, it was an opportune moment to demonstrate absolute respect for airspeed in the last stages of an approach.

If you're paying for the fuel, I'd be happy to repeat it :ok:

evansb
20th Sep 2010, 22:28
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/RCAF_Chipmunk_180411.jpg

twochai
20th Sep 2010, 22:33
Ah..... deHavilland!

(and the RCN Sea Fury behind).

Dora-9
20th Sep 2010, 23:40
Meanwhile in the Antipodes...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/P1010099.jpg

evansb
21st Sep 2010, 00:19
Back in Pommy Land, circa 1965
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/ChipmunkT10_1965_WK640_1280A1.jpg

Dora-9
21st Sep 2010, 02:28
Your side of the world, evansb - 2 FTS, Church Fenton, c.1971

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/2FTSPAIR.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/2fts.jpg

India Four Two
21st Sep 2010, 11:35
Lovely pictures, Dora-9. Excellent formation work - much more difficult than it looks.

Your side of the world, evansb

I'll "chip" in for evansb since he is probably asleep. If you mean Northern hemisphere, then you're right, otherwise I should point out that he is 3700 nm from Church Fenton :-)

diginagain
21st Sep 2010, 18:03
We Pongos got to flog about in them, too.

Dora-9
22nd Sep 2010, 01:45
"Excellent formation work - much more difficult than it looks."

Oh so very true, India, I guess due to a combination of a low wing loading and low power - and Line Abreast (as shown) seems the hardest of them all. A group of Chipmunk owners here participate in a formation team; hard work, a lot of fun though we're not that good either!

Now, back to "Pongos flying Chipmunks":

Firstly, a 1993 EFTS formation. I have a personal interest here, as the rearmost Chipmunk (WG478/"L") is mine!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/efts3.jpg

And another 2 FTS, Church Fenton photo. From the top the aircraft are: WP8**/"15", WG478/"20", WK507/"36", WK643/"39" and WD347/"03" (this last one is a visitor from CFS). I would date this aircraft as c.1973. Who would have thought that, nearly 40 years' later, WG478 and WK507 would be still flying and sharing a hangar on the other side of the world!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/lineupat2FTS-1.jpg

Dan Winterland
23rd Sep 2010, 04:57
I was on EFTS when your photo was taken. No idea if one of the helmets is mine though. Do you have any more details about the shot?

More EFTS Chipmunkery, including WG478.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/A2A001.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/A2A003.jpg

Dora-9
23rd Sep 2010, 11:27
Lovely photos, thanks Dan.

Sorry I have no further details, these were supplied to me by Rod Brown (UK Chipmunk guru).

I think I've confused you, WG478 really is mine. Purchased as an incomplete box of bits in 1998, the restoration took nearly 6 years. It's finished as it was when a 2 FTS "Blue Chips" aircraft, 1970-72:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/VH-MMSDHC1.jpg

Interesting too that the lead aircraft in your photos is WG480/"D", also extant and residing in SE Queensland (in this case Toowoomba):

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/VH-ZCMDHC-12006-08-26WattsBridge06BvDrunick0608RAFWG480.jpg

Dan Winterland
23rd Sep 2010, 14:21
Sorry, I think I confused you. I was referring to the people flying the EFTS Chippies. It looks like the pilots are all instuctors which gives a 6 out of 15 chance I'm in the photo. We did a lot of formation in 1993 which is when EFTS disbanded.

A lovely restoration. 478 was the best in the fleet.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/Ludlow89-119.jpg

Dora-9
23rd Sep 2010, 21:04
Another lovely photo, thank you Dan!

These are the other EFTS photos I have, presumably taken art the same time as the one I posted earlier. I think that's Lincoln Cathedral in the backround(?).

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/efts2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/efts4.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/eftslincoln.jpg

Did you know WG478 went on to Berlin in 1993? Apparently as a back-up aircraft for the Berlin Garrison wind-down events, but ended up leading both the 1994 Queen's Birthday Parade and Berlin Garrison Disbandment Parade flypasts. Sorry this shot isn't of the best quality - I actually managed to stand on the "Gatow" sign two years' ago!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/RM1.jpg

Sadly she wasn't in a good state when I got her - just a jumbled and very mixed bag of components; WG478's fuselage and (damaged) vertical surfaces, WP805's very cruddy wings, a factory-fresh tailplane, a time-expired engine (not the one that WG478 retired with) and nothing else forward of the firewall. What started off as a simple project simply grew - amazing what you can achieve by just keeping on spending!

Dan Winterland
24th Sep 2010, 02:04
That's definately Lincoln Cathedral. I have several flight around that time which could be this flight, but the tail numbers don't match. I think I'm flying the camera aircraft! We did quite a lot of this sort of thing as the Squadron wound down and Lincoln Cathdral was a favoutite backdrop. But thanks for posting the pictures, I hadn't seen these as I left the Squadron slightly ahead of the last day to start a course on my next aircraft type.

Have sent you a PM.

BEagle
24th Sep 2010, 08:21
The later red wing panel and all red tailplane/elevator scheme looked much tidier than the initial red leading edge, red tailplane and grey elevator scheme.

At ULAS our Chippes were all grey and dayglo (although we still had one or two silver ones when I first arrived in 1969, I think). But one day one of our aircraft came back from its major in the ice cream van scheme....

Shortly afterwards, on one fine day during Easter camp we were told by the CFI that "All students who flew solo on the first wave are to assemble in the briefing room at cease flying". Most of us wondered what piece of our morning villainy had been spotted - had I gone just a little bit too low on my PFLs, I wondered....:\

Anyway, enter the CFI. "ULAS has the RAF's only red-and-white Chipmunk south of Lincolnshire. When you start dog fighting with your mates on a day with a hundred miles viz, it isn't very hard to work out who you were. I know, you know - DON'T BLOODY DO IT AGAIN!!"

End of bollocking. And no, it wasn't me - I was in good old 345!

Dora-9
24th Sep 2010, 21:12
BEagle, to each his own I guess, but I always thought the first permutation of the Red/White/Light Grey (red leading edges & wingroots, grey elevators) was much more suited to the Chipmunk than the more common second one!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/chippies.jpg

You're correct, UAS Chipmunks in this scheme were very rare birds indeed. Not surprising really, the scheme wasn't introduced until 1970 with the Bulldog replacing UAS Chipmunks two years' later. One of the few was WK507, ex Birmingham UAS, which arrived in Australia in 1974:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/OK-1.jpg

twochai
24th Sep 2010, 22:49
As far as the paint scheme is concerned, the best looking is clearly the polished aluminum.

But those canopies? How, .......quaint!!!

evansb
25th Sep 2010, 01:00
Yes,... Here is a Lycoming IO-540 powered DHC-1B-2 Super Chipmunk, s/n 168, built in 1950:
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/chip32.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/chip11.jpg

twochai
25th Sep 2010, 02:41
Way to go, Bri! Get those poms thinking.

Dora-9
25th Sep 2010, 04:18
Twochai, I fully understand why Canadians are chauvinistic about blown canopies! A handful of Chipmunks here are fitted with a locally produced "low drag" blown canopy.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/VH-DHXatSwanHillVic230405BertvanDrunick.jpg

Because the windscreen of the UK-built T.10/Mk.20/21/22 differs (including in cross-section) from that fitted to the DHC-1B, it isn't possible to simply plonk a Canadian canopy onto a UK-built aircraft.

Accuse me of being a pedant evansb, but a Chipmunk with a "flat engine" ceases to be a real Chipmunk I reckon!

evansb
25th Sep 2010, 06:10
Yes indeed. This Canadian Chipmunk

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/DHC-1-01-6402.jpg

would not handle quite the same as this American mod:
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/Ga76446.jpg

By George
25th Sep 2010, 06:55
Interesting to see that both Canadian Chipmunks are not fitted with spin strakes. I would assume the 'flat engine' weighs less than the Gipsy and that would make the spin interesting. In fact with a big bloke in the back and a little one in the front it would make it very exciting. Does the bubble canopy have a positive effect on the spin? The conventional Canadian Chipmunk with the Gipsy looks great but that canopy would be as hot as hell in the heat of downunder. I think I would prefer a little shade to the ability to see where I've been. Arts' Chipmunk, while having impressive performance is no longer a Chipmunk. A bit like people calling a RB57 a Canberra.

Dora-9
25th Sep 2010, 07:19
The Canadians never fitted anti-spinning strakes.

By George
25th Sep 2010, 08:54
In 1972 I was a civilian Instructor with the RAAF Pt Cook Flying Club.The Boss was a Sqn Ldr Kevin Duffy, lovely guy but double my weight. I was around 60kg in those days. We took off with the primary task of checking my ability to teach spinning. He insisted on sitting in the back. At 6000' I entered a spin which immediately went 'flat' with the nose hunting through the horizon. The prop stopped and I had a difficult time recovering. We eventually recovered but busted the 'floor' of 3,000'. The aircraft was subsequently fitted with strakes before further spins were allowed. VH-RSK was the rego, belonging to Peninsular Airways of Moorabbin. He passed me but we both retreated to the bar to regain a measure of composure. The owner of Peninsular, a Dr Bill Surh also had a Ryan fitted with a 'flat' engine and had a tail parachute rigged, because the new engine installation effected the spin recovery to the point that the only method of recovery was to pull the string. To see that Canadian Chipmunk with a 'flat' engine and no strakes bought back some bad memories and thats why I'd be interested to know how it spins, or more importantly if it stops! Again if the Canadians never fitted strakes is it their canopy that keeps the back end alive?

India Four Two
25th Sep 2010, 10:09
I've flown both the T10 and the DHC-1 and of course they are both wonderful aircraft.

The bubble-canopy on the RCAF aircraft is great, allowing you to indulge your Spifire fantasies even more and it also scores another point over the T10 in having a heater! Think about that, all you long-suffering QFIs in the back seat in winter ;)

On the other hand, I feel the spindly gear legs always look "naked" compared to the T10.

Dora-9, I agree with you about the Lycoming mod - it just doesn't look right. However, if you are going to do it, do it properly like Art Scholl. I had a close look at N13Y at Springbank back in the 70s, when he was performing at the Calgary Stampede Grandstand show in the evening.

Wingspan reduced by three feet, full span ailerons, retractable-gear, giant rudder and a 260HP Lycoming. His show was amazing. Aerobatics in the dark with wing-tip flares and the lights on the back-stretch of the race-track for any emergencies.

Back to Bri's picture of the Lycoming DHC-1. Why do people go to all that trouble and expense and then get the paint scheme wrong? Wrong colour blue in the roundels, wrong lettering and a red-red fin flash!

On the same note, why on earth does the Shuttleworth T10 have a fake Canadian colour scheme?

Dora-9
25th Sep 2010, 12:04
By George, I don't doubt that this was an unforgettable experience.

One minor point though, RSK was fitted with the tapered anti-spinning strakes (developed by Aerostructures Ltd at Bansktown for the SA29 "Spraymaster") in 1968. The RAC of NSW's response to the loss of FTA in a spinning accident on 22.1.1968 was to immediately fit strakes to their last two Chipmunks (RSK and RSQ). I can locate no photos after 1968 showing either aircraft without strakes. With respect, do you know if they were - temporarily - removed at Point Cook?

India Four Two, I couldn't aggree more about people who paint incorrect markings on their aircraft. The gleaming bare-metal DBS (photo supplied earlier) always annoys with her reversed fin stripes (and being a Mk.21 they're not appropriate anyway).

But RAF Chipmunks DID eventually have heaters! Mod H335 introduced in 1979 involved fitting the Canadian style heater system, detected by the small projecting intake in the front of the cowl and the steeply raked exhaust stack - it's readily apparent in the photos of the EFTS formation for instance.

twochai
25th Sep 2010, 13:38
The Canadians never fitted anti-spinning strakes.

Spinning and spin recovery was a subject to be taught during flight school. Why on earth would you want to do it in an airplane modified to prevent spinning?

By George
25th Sep 2010, 14:25
Dora-9, Mike Sassin who designed the 'Spraymaster' told me that some owners did in fact remove the strakes for reasons I cannot remember. I can clearly remember the placard after my 'event' prohibiting spins in RSK but after all this time you've got me on when the strakes were fitted. I have an undated photo of me taxiying in at MB and yes it has strakes, they extend to a little hole that I think was used for lifting. As for the last poster the 'anti-spin' strakes are in a way, mis-named they were only there to stop you obtaining a mining permit, it was all about recovery, not spinning.

evansb
25th Sep 2010, 14:44
The following is an excerpt by RE Gillman, former Senior Training Captain BEA Elizabethan Fleet, circa 1957, Croydon Aerodrome: Spinning the Chipmunk

The spinning exercise was somewhat unusal, and having been forewarned by this, I was rather curious to try it out. On introducing the spin with full rudder at the stall in the normal manner, the aircraft begain to rotate fairly fast, but the speed increased although the stick was still held back, and at 100 knots, the whole manoeuvre was noisy and uncomfortable, but recovery was simple enough, though at rather high airspeed during the ensuing dive. Although the aircraft turns at such a speed as to give an impression of autorotation, it can still be nothing more than a spiral dive. A full spin was achieved by applying opposite aileron, after the stick had been brought back centrally, thus stalling the inside wing completely on a subsequent occassion, and the resulting spin was fast clean, and a positive forward movement of the stick was required to regain control.

Dora-9
26th Sep 2010, 07:32
By George is absolutely correct; they are NOT anti-spinning strakes! (PM sent, btw).

But there are some in the UK who claim that fitting the strakes was a pure “political fix” (the story involves a prominent MP’s son being killed in an RAF spinning accident) and further that the strakes are of limited effectiveness. Certainly the Canadians were unimpressed for the need to equip their Chipmunks with these. Is it significant that following their exhaustive investigation into Chipmunk spinning, the Australian DCA published a report in June 1960 (i.e. two years after the RAF fitted their strakes) which never mentions the effectiveness or otherwise of this item?

As fitted, the UK strakes were distinctly crude, not even matching up to the tailplane leading edge. In contrast, the tapering Sassin/Aerostructures strakes are a very elegant solution:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/BT10.gif

There have been volumes written about Chipmunk spinning. I’m not really qualified to further comment, other than to point out the Chipmunk has several incipient “gotchas” lurking around:

Any brake selection limits rudder travel.
Failure to use the published entry technique can result in nasty surprises.
The aircraft won’t simply recover by letting go (unlike some types); the correct recovery technique is essential.
One quirk of Chipmunk aerodynamics is that while control forces are normally quite light the elevators can really firm up in a spin, with the result that the pilot thinks because of the push force involved that he has full forward stick when he hasn’t. At least one Aero Club had witness marks painted on the control box and taught students to push the stick until the marks aligned.
Sometimes the first indication that the aircraft is recovering (i.e. the correct technique has been employed) is that the spin “tightens up” with an increasing spin rate initially – this one still gets me! In 1967 at Bunbury WA I did something really stupid in a Chipmunk (see item 2); the ensuing manouvres and spin frightened me witless. It was 28 years before I got in a Chipmunk again!!!

India Four Two
26th Sep 2010, 08:40
I did lots of spins in the T10 and never remember anything particularly surprising, either solo or dual, including during a ten-turn spin. However, we always did everything by the book - CFS standardization at its best - and I certainly never felt like experimenting with different entries or recoveries.

bri, concerning Captain Gilman's Croydon experience, that sounds very odd. Maybe he had a very far-forward C of G. In my experience of teaching spins in a Blanik, it was quite common to enter a spiral dive at forward C of Gs, particularly of course, if the student wasn't holding the stick all the way back.

Dora-9, I see your aircraft still has the UHF aerials. Did it come with the whole fit, or had the boxes been taken out? I remember when the UBAS Chipmunks arrived back after the summer break (1968 I think), freshly painted in the grey and dayglo scheme with white canopies, with the new UHF radios. It actually made our life at Shawbury more difficult, since the other resident aircraft were Marshall's VHF equipped Vampires and Piston Provosts, used by the ATC trainees for PAR practice. The UHF didn't help for cross-country very much either, since it was a limited channel set with only the RAF common UHF frequency (362.3?) and 243 MHz for communicating with other towers. I remember ATC at Syerston trying to get us to change to their Approach frequency and refusing to believe that a UHF equipped aircraft could not do so.

Does anyone know about the background of the UHF conversion. It must have been incredibly expensive. Were these sets designed and built for the Chipmunk or were they used in other aircraft?

Justiciar
26th Sep 2010, 09:22
I have spun the Chipmunk a few times with a very highly qualified chipmunk pilot in the rear. I have never dared to do it solo. Apart from anything else, I have wondered at the effect of the C of G being much further forward solo and whether there is a danger of going inverted when pushing the stick fully forward during recovery. I would be interested in comments!

Is the increased rate of turn not due to the nose dropping further and therefore the rotation increasing to preserve angular momentum? I believe the Slingsby has that characteristic.

bcgallacher
26th Sep 2010, 17:33
Was was awarded a Flying Scholarship while a schoolboy in the early 60s - did the training at AST at Perth - we were only allowed to fly Chipmunks with the anti-spin strakes and broad chord rudder.I found the spin characteristics somewhat unpredictable - I believe the Egyptian Air Force lost many to spinning incidents.

Dan Winterland
27th Sep 2010, 03:19
With about a thousand hours instructing on them, I've done many hundreds of spins on about twenty different airframes. I never had any uncomfortable moments and although different airframes exhibited slightly different characteristics, the recommended entry and recovery technique leads to safe spin training.

However, there are different ways to enter a spin and this leads to different characteristics. The recommended entry is to apply full rudder at 50 knots and soon after full back stick with the ailerons neutral. It's unlikely that an inadvertant spin will have such an enrty - a more plausible entry would while in buffet, induce wing drop with rudder and attempt to correct with out spin aileron. This will very likely induce a spin and this spin is very different to the intentional. The former is a stable non-oscillatory manouvre which settles into the fully developed stage at about a full turn with about 50 degrees nose down, recovery taking about two turns. The latter is a flatter, slower rotating spin with oscillations and which enters the fully developed stage in about half a turn or less. Rudder is noticeably less effective and the recovery takes about three to four turns.

There are few records remaining as to the accidents which led to the fitting of the anti spin strakes, but it's clear they are result of a number of accidents occurring to the RAF aircraft soon after entry into service. De Havilland came up with the modification and it's not dissimilar to the one fitted to the DH82 Tiger Moth. About the same time, the wide chord rudder was fitted and this was intended to give better rudder authority during aerobatics, especilly slow rolls. But not for spin recovery, and in fact contemporary documents mention that the wide chord rudder does not aid spin recovery.

And the term anti spin strakes is a bit of a misnomer. We referred to them as such in the RAF, and the CAA's CAP562 leaflet 11-1 (Chipmunk Spinning and Aerobatics) also refers to them this way. But a 1960 DH document simply refers to them as 'Fuselage Strakes' and I suspect the wrong nomenclature has stuck with time. CAP562 describes them as increasing the aerodynamnic drag of the tail, damping rotation in yaw and steepening the spin. This doesn't really make sense if you think about it and differs from the RAF's explaination of how they work which is that at the high angle of attack of the spin, they act as a vortex generator and re-energise the airflow over the rudder making it more effective. This would help recovery in the latter type of spin I described, so I'm sure they were fitted in response to inadvertantly entered flatter spins which recovery from which would quite clearly benefit from an increase in rudder effectiveness.

An Australian document written in 1960 after flight testing of Chipmunks in response to series of accidents mentions that;

"It was found that although the strakes had no effect on the entry, the spin itself or on the recovery of an aircraft with good recovery characteristics, they did tend to shorten the recovery time slightly on an aircraft normally slow to recover, but it was only a reduction in the order of three quarters of a turn in the worst case"

The UK CAA don't agree, and UK registered Chipmunks without fuselage strakes and the wide chord rudder are prohibited from aerobatics and spinning.

Dan Winterland
27th Sep 2010, 03:55
''But RAF Chipmunks DID eventually have heaters! Mod H335 introduced in 1979 involved fitting the Canadian style heater system, detected by the small projecting intake in the front of the cowl and the steeply raked exhaust stack - it's readily apparent in the photos of the EFTS formation for instance.''

Yes, and it did an excellent job of raisng the temperature of your left leg by two degrees!

''Does anyone know about the background of the UHF conversion. It must have been incredibly expensive. Were these sets designed and built for the Chipmunk or were they used in other aircraft?''

RAF Chippies has several radio fits. I have flown them with four fits. First, the crystal VHF sets which had only about 8 channels numbered from A to G (?) with a controller on the coming (as fitted to Spitfires in WW2). Later these were fitted with a tuneable Marconi radio which had 720 channels, controller again on the coaming. The original PTR170 UHF set had again a limited number of channels, 1 to 12. Contoller yet again on the coaming. Later, some were modified with the PTR1751 with digital controllers in each cockpit which were the same ones as fitted to many frontline arircraft and even had the ability to control frequency agile anti-jam Have Quick 2 radio tranceivers - a bit excessive in the Chippy!

The EFTS aircraft I flew had the PTR1751 UHF sets with a separate Dittel 720channel VHF which was under the intrument panel by your right knee in the front cockpit and very difficult to see and tune.

Army and Navy aircraft had different fits.

Dora-9
27th Sep 2010, 06:35
India Four Two,

"Dora-9, I see your aircraft still has the UHF aerials. Did it come with the whole fit, or had the boxes been taken out?"

No, all the boxes were removed although the Channel Selector Panel on the RH of the rear cockpit was still there.

bcgallacher:

"Was was awarded a Flying Scholarship while a schoolboy in the early 60s - did the training at AST at Perth"

Oddly enough, I also was an ATC Flying Scholarship recipient in the early sixties (1961) in Perth, only my Perth was in Western Australia! I'm not saying we were better (this scribe clearly wasn't), but our Chipmunks all had the narrow-chord rubdder and no strakes. In fact I doubt there was a Chipmunk with strakes anywhere in Australia then!

Dan Winterland - a very well written piece I thought. Nice to see you point out that the broad-chord rudder had NOTHING to do with spinning.

"The UK CAA don't agree, and UK registered Chipmunks without fuselage strakes and the wide chord rudder are prohibited from aerobatics and spinning."

Similar here now in Australia too.Our authorities accepted the T.10 on the register unlike the UK where it had to be a Mk.22. But with the advent of an Approved Flight Manual for the T.10 (there simply wasn't one until the late 1990's) this restriction now applies, although only to aircraft without the strakes (the larger rudder is not mentioned). also.

Because a large number of Chipmunks that came here in the late 50's were surplus RAF aircraft that were disposed of before the advent of the strakes (and never qualified to be re-fitted with the "big" rudder either) even today the majority of Australian Chipmunks don't have strakes.

rodthesod
27th Sep 2010, 08:08
twochai
Way to go, Bri! Get those poms thinking.

Actually, we Brits were operating a Lycoming Chipmunk back in the early 70s as a glider tug at Bicester. Very nice to fly, obviously better ptw ratio and much quieter cockpit. The electric start was handy too - we always hand swung our Gypsy chippies.
We also had 2 ex-crop duster Gypsy chippies with fixed leading edge slots, both single seat. One had a squat little box canopy and was a real drag-master but nevertheless had good climb rate and superb slow speed handling. The other had a blown canopy and was a dream to fly. I'm sure the bubble produced extra lift as the climb performance seemed as good as the Lycoming aircraft - handled better too. On good thermic days, when a glider pilot didn't pull off in lift and I knew their competence I would crank us into a thermal (left turn) and often achieved 1500fpm+, waving off with a roll to the right at the club's statutory 2000ft. Again the low speed handling was a dream and it was possible to sideslip at speeds standard Chipmunks would have been stalled at. We often had to increase power after landing to taxy up to the glider line, having cleared the boundary hedge with our tow rope. Standard RAF chipmunks never achieved half the launch rate these aircraft did - most of their time was spent taxying.
The Chipmunk is a beautiful aircraft. After I'd been flying a Pitts S2A every day for a year I was asked to show a Chipmunk owner some aeros in his aircraft. It was so nice to get back in an aircraft with such beautiful control harmonisation. We did a few basic aeros - loops, avalanches, barrel rolls, slow rolls and stall turns and, some 30 years later, I still remember landing with an ear-to-ear grin.
Sadly I no longer have any photos and I can't remember the registrations. My log book was 'borrowed' by the Lagos police and not returned and one of my ex-wives burned all my piccies - lovely girl, but she's a good mum.

Dan Winterland
27th Sep 2010, 13:19
G-AOTF was one of the ag-chippys. Shown here in about 1985 with a 160 hp Lycoming in a fetching air defence grey colour scheme - which when you think about it has to be the worst colour to paint a tug. IIRC, she was a Mk23 which used a raised rear cockpit as the flying position, had a space for a hopper where the front seat was, and I think she had leading edge slots as well. A bit lighter than normal Chippys, she didn't suffer much performance loss with her 'uglification'. Except that with a Lycoming, she wasn't allowed to spin or aerobat under CAA rules, as she was modified as a glider tug and such certification wasn't deemed necessary.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/Simon80-85210.jpg

l.garey
27th Sep 2010, 13:37
Talking about spins, I always hated and feared them. In OUAS in the early 1960s we were regularly checked by our instructors and then expected to go off and do them solo. The entry was always of the classic variety, that Dan describes above. The first or second turn would be inverted, as I remember, and after a couple more the nose was firmly down, almost vertically it seemed. Recovery took a while when the spin was fully developed, but you just had to hang on. Thing was, to keep the wings level.
Would we have recognised an incipient spin from a messed up approach or bank at too low speed, I am not sure!
Happy days.

Laurence

Mearns Loon
27th Sep 2010, 21:43
Spinning
From my imperfect memory of Chipmunk flying with the UAS in the mid sixties, the strakes were described as spin recovery aids. They may have improved airflow over the elevator. I do not remember any of the aircraft going inverted. Going inverted could have been caused by poor rigging.
A general handling sortie would end with a spin followed by a PFL (not below 250 feet agl).
Stalling
Each stall was never the same. Perfect aircraft balance was essential to achieve a textbook recovery. I was told that one aircraft was taken out of service when it would go inverted in the stall recovery. The aircraft was scarapped even though the rigging tested OK.
I was always more careful with stalling than spinning.
Mearns Loon

twochai
28th Sep 2010, 00:36
OK, Dan Winterland gets the gong for the most coherent explanation of the evolution of the (not) anti-spin strakes on the
DHC-1.

But now, what about them canopies?? Why did the Brits and the Portuguese not use the bubble canopy in their production??

TC

Exnomad
28th Sep 2010, 09:59
Spinning in Chipmunks, Thoroughly enjoyable!
The ones I flew at BFTS at Burnaston in 1952 behaved impeccably in fact I once spun down from 10,000 feet to about 5000 just for fun.
It took ages to reach 10,000, and spinning was a quick way down without exceeding permitted airspeed.

BEagle
28th Sep 2010, 13:21
During my time on ULAS as a student, solo spinning was still in the syllabus. So off I went one fine day to do the deed....

HASELLs diligently completed, close throttle, keep ball in middle, trim as instructed, then at the moment critique apply full pro-spin controls, up and over she went and into the spin.

After the first few seconds there was a loud thumping and banging from behind me, so I rapidly recovered - all was fine. A few gentle aeros - no problem.

I mentioned this when I came back - and the general consensus was that the knotted ends of the rear seat harness had perhaps been banging against the aluminium seat structure. So I went out to the aircraft (still 'soloed up') and experimented - yup, that was definitely the cause. Then a coffee, off for another trip including solo spinning (after first making sure that the rear seat straps were really tight and the ends tightly knotted together) - all was fine.

A few weeks later some edict came down from on high banning students from solo spinning. Rather a pity as it gave you lots of confidence!

India Four Two
29th Sep 2010, 00:15
Prior to Dan's comprehensive posting, I tried finding an online copy of the T10 Pilot's Notes to refresh my memory on the standard spin entry. Dan confirmed what I remembered - 50 kts, full rudder, stick back and neutral ailerons.

I had no luck with the T10 notes (well, not a free copy!) but I did find a copy of the DH Pilot's Manual for the civil Chippies (Mks. 20, 21, 22 and 22A) (http://is.gd/fyBII (http://www.pprune.org/s%20http://is.gd/fyBII) ). The recommended spin-entry includes the use of ailerons:

The aeroplane is difficult to spin properly at almost all centre of gravity positions. Therefore it is usually necessary to apply ailerons against the intended direction of spin, in addition to the normal pro-spin control movements. Entry with central aileron will probably cause the aeroplane to describe a semi-stalled spiral dive. This is often confused with a true spin

I find this very surprising. I did spins in two civil Chippies prior to my time with UBAS and in those we did the aileron-neutral entry, just like in the T10, with no problem entering a true spin. Is there something different about the civil versions or were DH just being very cautious? I don't ever remember getting into a spiral dive instead of a spin.

Beagle, I hadn't heard that solo-spinning was banned. Did you find out what happened to trigger that?

Dan Winterland
29th Sep 2010, 03:10
From AP 101B-5510-15 (Chipmunk T10 Pilot's notes) last amended 1993.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/spin1.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/spin2.jpg

Similar, in that it mentions the opposite aileron to give a cleaner entry, but in the RAF flying training environment, this was never done. It was always an aileron neutral entry, to the point we taught the students to use both hands were on the control column to ensure it came back neutral. From the Student's Study Guide......

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/spin4.jpg

I gather the technique to enter the spin in the RAF changed over time. It used to be a lower speed entry which would be done close to the stall, this would probably have led to flatter more oscillatory spins which were harder to recover. The 50 knot entry is more of a 'flick' entry which is cleaner and leads to a more stable spin. The DH manual may be referring to the earler technique. This is from the Canadian flight manual published in 1957.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/spin3.jpg

Dora-9
29th Sep 2010, 07:23
More really great stuff, Dan. I've never seen the 1993 notes, I have the 1953 and 1966 ones, plus a 1969 Chipmunk T.10 Student Study Guide.

Just in case someone decides to try this at home, could I point out in reference to item (iii) "...more positive spin entry...by applying aileron opposite the direction..." that CAP 562 states "If aileron is so used it should be centralized when entry is achieved. Under Spin Recovery: "b) check ailerons CENTRAL;"

Lastly, in my posting on 26th Sept I made the comment: "..the Australian DCA published a report in June 1960 (i.e. two years after the RAF fitted their strakes) which never mentions the effectiveness or otherwise of this item?" Having finally located my references to this, I can categorically state that I was wrong!

Dan's earlier posting stated:
"An Australian document written in 1960 after flight testing of Chipmunks in response to series of accidents mentions that;
It was found that although the strakes had no effect on the entry, the spin itself or on the recovery of an aircraft with good recovery characteristics, they did tend to shorten the recovery time slightly on an aircraft normally slow to recover, but it was only a reduction in the order of three quarters of a turn in the worst case"

He is correct, this is an exact quote from the DCA document.

India Four Two
29th Sep 2010, 15:12
Dan,

Thanks for the feedback on spin entries. Since my post, I've found a very interesting zip file, containing:

1. DH Canada Chipmunk DHC-1 Operation and Maintenance Manual (probably the first edition - one amendment dated 11/9/50?)

2. A.P. 4308A-P.N. Pilot's Notes for Chipmunk T10 February 1950

3. AP101B-5510-15 (AP.4308A-PN) Pilot's Notes Chipmunk T Mk. 10 Third Edition June 1966

4. EO 05-10B-1 RCAF Aircraft Operating Instructions Chipmunk 15 April 1958

5. EO 05-10B-1 Canadian Forces Aircraft Operating Instructions Chipmunk Revised 7 July 1967

6. DH Canada Chipmunk DHC-1B-2 Flight Manual 1 Aug 1957

7. DH Aircraft Pilots' Manual for the De Havilland Chipmunk Aircraft October 1969

8. Wiltshire School of Flying Pilot's Notes Chipmunk 10 Undated

9. Chipmunk Checklist in "flip card" format. Undated, from a Liverpool-based aircraft. Is this yours SSD?

Just to whet your appetites, here are a couple of plates from item 1:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/india42/ChipmunkFloatsSkiis.png

The file can be downloaded from de Havilland Chipmunk Flight Manual - Documents - Avsim R Us (http://www.avsimrus.com/files.phtml?fileid=25461). The download process is a bit obscure. Click "Download" at the bottom right and then on the next, nearly identical page, click on the link in the green box labelled "HTTP (EU)". You might want to check the file for viruses before unzipping. I had no problems, but I'm using a Mac ;)

alanmt
1st Oct 2010, 03:41
WK635 is back in the UK and will be back in the air next year.
The new owner will keep the RN colour scheme and I would like some photos of the aircraft in RN service to help me get it right. Can anyone help?

marlat
1st Oct 2010, 13:52
alanmt,

a quick google on WK635 returns these photos of your aircraft in RN colours -

De Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T10, WK635, Royal Navy (http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1190095/)

Photos: De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk T10 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Navy/De-Havilland-DHC-1/1371223/&sid=0235294abe925da60e632ca23fcc2d10)

I think there is a TNS specifically about the NATO HI Vis colour scheme that the navy Chipmunks had applied. Perhaps DeHavilland Support can help?

Regards from a fellow ex RN Chipmunk part owner (WP809/G-BVTX)

Dora-9
9th Oct 2010, 20:27
“But now, what about them canopies?? Why did the Brits and the Portuguese not use the bubble canopy in their production??”

Twochai, this is a very good question indeed. I’ve checked all my references, as well as asking two “Chipmunk history gurus” and it seems that there’s no documentation to indicate that the MoD or RAF ever asked for blown canopies!

When the DHC-1A was evaluated at Boscombe Down the existing canopy was extensively criticized. While the canopy adopted for the T.10/Mk.20 series looks similar it’s actually quite different. The thicker framing and blown rear side panels are readily apparent, but the canopy is also of a much broader cross-section (it’s wider at the top) in order to improve head room.

The T.10/Mk20 specification seems to have been settled in 1948. The DHC-1B-S3, the first Canadian-built version to sport the blown canopy, didn’t appear until a year later by which time UK production was getting underway. Perhaps they didn’t want to interrupt production to accommodate a new canopy?

Installing a DHC-1B blown canopy on a T.10/Mk.20/21/22 is not as straight-forward as it appears initially, in that both the rails and windscreen cross-section are different. However there have been subsequent blown canopies designed privately (both in the UK and Australia) to “fit” the T.10/Mk.20/21/22 so perhaps the desire to do so wasn’t there at the time anyway.

I can see two possible reasons why the RAF weren’t interested. Firstly, if the Chipmunk has an accident involving coming to rest inverted, it’s not possible to slide the canopy aft. However, egress from the UK-built aircraft is still possible as the LHS canopy panels can be jettisoned. This is obviously not possible with the blown canopy, which is perhaps why my DHC-1B Flight Manual (undated) contains a requirement to take off and land with the hood open – now this must have been fun in a Canadian winter! This issue has been addressed subsequently by the mandatory carriage of a canopy axe. Also the RAF initially used two-colour blind-flying screens on the forward side panels which required a flat surface for mounting, again not possible with the curved blown canopy. This scheme seems to have fallen into dis-use by the 1960’s.

None of the above really explains the apparent disinterest in the blown canopy; can anyone expand further on this subject?

As a devoted T.10 owner, I would be the first to acknowledge that the DHC-1B has a superior cockpit in virtually every aspect. My one reservation would be the lack of a baggage compartment on the Canadian-built version – even a ludicrously small compartment is better than none at all.

henry crun
9th Oct 2010, 20:42
Without having any evidence to support this view, I would imagine that a blown canopy would have been more expensive to produce.
Maybe that was the deciding factor.

ExAscoteer
9th Oct 2010, 23:34
Actually, we Brits were operating a Lycoming Chipmunk back in the early 70s as a glider tug at Bicester. Very nice to fly, obviously better ptw ratio and much quieter cockpit. The electric start was handy too - we always hand swung our Gypsy chippies.

I don't think the Lycoming Chippies were as early as that. My late Father was in a syndicate with an ASW 15 (the ex-GSA glider, BGA1597, tail number: 29) and then a Kestrel 19 at Bicester until the beginning of 1975 when we moved to Duxford/Teversham. We were regular visitors to the GSA Centre after that and I think the first time I saw a Lycoming Chippie there was late 1975, maybe early 1976. Albeit it was nearly 40 years ago so my memory could be shot!

While hand swinging went on I also remember the ex-UAS aircraft having cartridge starters.

We also had 2 ex-crop duster Gypsy chippies with fixed leading edge slots, both single seat. One had a squat little box canopy and was a real drag-master but nevertheless had good climb rate and superb slow speed handling. The other had a blown canopy and was a dream to fly. I'm sure the bubble produced extra lift as the climb performance seemed as good as the Lycoming aircraft - handled better too.

The teardrop canopied aircraft was G-ATVF which had been WD327 when in RAF service:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/Debs24_photos/Misc/Chipmunk.jpg

She certainly wasn't a single seater, she had a front seat fitted. Although I grant you I can't remember her being a 2-sticker.

I spent many a time begging 'sandbag' trips in her in the early 1970's. To prove it, here is a shot of a very young (future) ExAscoteer clambering into the front seat. The year would have been 1973!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/Debs24_photos/Misc/Chipmunk2.jpg

G-AOTF was one of the ag-chippys. Shown here in about 1985 with a 160 hp Lycoming in a fetching air defence grey colour scheme - which when you think about it has to be the worst colour to paint a tug. IIRC, she was a Mk23 which used a raised rear cockpit as the flying position, had a space for a hopper where the front seat was, and I think she had leading edge slots as well.

She certainly did have the leading edge slots although I can't find a photograph at the moment. When she had the Gypsy I remember her being a much lighter, almost silver, grey.

Dora-9
10th Oct 2010, 02:53
Henry Crun – yes, but my point was that the RAF apparently never even asked for blown canopies and so were never in a position to be told "it cost too much”.

ExAscoteer – the first “flat engine" conversion in Australia was quite early (in1960); VH-BVP was fiited with a Continental O-470. Our DCA promptly designated it a DHC-1C, but that designation never caught on!

I can see the advantages of this, more power, lower overhaul costs and oil consumption for a start, but as a purist it just looks odd - and it reminds me of people who put Chevrolet engines in Jaguars. The general consensus seems to be that the extra power made for a better rate of climb and thus made aerobatics easier to manage, but did little for the cruise speed.

Thanks too for the photos of the re-converted Mk.23 – the slats really stand out!

In Australia, engineer Mike Sassin in partnership with the Bankstown NSW based Aerostructures produced the SA29 “Spraymaster”. It differed from the UK-built design in many areas, most notably in having a simply gorgeous blown canopy, wing endplates in lieu of slots (initially), a dorsal fin fairing, a Scott spring tailwheel assembly plus the previously discussed tapered strakes.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/VH-BCA-at-Cunderdin-WA-Dec.jpg

It’s a long and sad saga, but despite the initial promise only three Spraymasters were ever built. In a situation strongly paralleling that of G-ATVF, the last survivor of this trio (VH-BCA) was recently also converted back to the normal DHC-1 configuration. The only clues now to its ancestry are the tailwheel and the strakes.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/VH-BCA-Mareeba-May-2005-Go.jpg

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th Oct 2010, 21:07
Here's ours in front of the BBMF Chippy. Been flying it since 1979, and I love it!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/GZK6NK/SierraLimaholdingherownres.jpg

microlightgary
26th Oct 2010, 17:28
Had my first flight ever in a Chippie with 9 AEF at RAF Finningley in 1983, back when I was an Air Cadet. Gutted that I don't have a picture or even a record of the S/N. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, we're flying along and my pilot asks if I'd like a go. I say 'Yes please Sir' so he gets me to follow him lightly on the controls - which I duly do. I'm a bit overawed to be honest (never having been in the sky before remember!) and my thumb & forefinger are only just touching the top of the stick as it moves around. He then utters the immortal words 'You have control' and I do, I actually have control - of an aeroplane!

But, so nervous am I (and he hasn't actually told me to do anything with said plane) that I sit there rather like a rabbit in the headlights, not moving the stick at all. The graceful Chippie just flies along perfectly trimmed in level flight and a couple of minutes later my pilot says 'I have control' then compliments me on my smooth flying!
Still makes me smile today - must sort another go sometime :)

Exnomad
27th Oct 2010, 13:51
The comment about the harness in the rear cockpit rattling reminded meof the fright I got I my first solo when taxing out over bumpy grass. I noise was so loud I was convinced things were dropping off. I stopped, undid my harness and peered into the rear cockpit to make sure

Mechta
27th Oct 2010, 22:03
G-AOTF was one of the ag-chippys. Shown here in about 1985 with a 160 hp Lycoming in a fetching air defence grey colour scheme - which when you think about it has to be the worst colour to paint a tug.Someone in the RAFGSA must have shared your view on the colour scheme. As this is how she appears today, much loved at RAF Odiham, even with 'that' canopy.

What we really need is a Thruxton Jackeroo type four seat conversion for her, as there are always more people wanting to fly G-AOTF than there are gliders to be towed!

G-ATVF comes to see us (from RAF Halton) when we are hosting an instructor's course or to permit dual flying when someone wants to convert onto G-AOTF.
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz96/s4racergp/ChipmunkG-AOTFcropped-1.jpg

P.S. Anyone know a good source of Chipmunk tailwheel tyres?

evansb
28th Oct 2010, 20:39
What is the size of the tyre? Try Aircraft Spruce & Speciality.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/Pm35175.jpg

alanmt
30th Oct 2010, 05:21
Tailwheel tyres are available from Watts at £180 ea. I will need some main wheel tyres soon but not at their prices.

Mechta
4th Nov 2010, 15:36
Thanks Alanmt and Evansb.

The tailwheel tyre size on G-AOTF is 3.00" x 3.5". Can anyone do better than £180?:{

JammedStab
8th Nov 2010, 13:44
Does anyone out there know where there is a derelict Chipmunk, perhaps a wreck. I am looking for some parts.

gpugh
22nd Nov 2010, 22:44
Hi Alan, just read your post with interest, my father was an instructor with BRNC based at Plymouth with the Chipmunks from 1964 to 1993 your aircraft was never on the strength of the BRNC flight they usualy operated between 10 to 12 aircraft, I think yours would have always been on one of the station flights and the other one mentioned WP809 (912) was not one of the regulars at Plymouth but was held in reserve at Kemble for use when needed, the colour scheme in the 60's and early 70's was polished metal and orange dayglo and later gray and red nose etc. I do have a couple of period photos I can email if they would help, I do recall one of the chippys getting into trouble during a spin to the point where the crew were about to exit and I believe it was the action of opening the hood that stopped the spin or enabled them to recover I also remember the pilots saying that some were better than others for spinning

Gordon

mabmac
23rd Nov 2010, 00:25
Hi Gordon, I remember your father well - a real gentleman. I think that you may be mistaken in stating that WP809 was not one of the regulars at Plymouth. My 3rd Chipmunk flight on 07 Dec 1973 was in WP809. I next flew it on 08 June 1975 and again on 31 July 1975 (twice), all 4 flights being with your father as instructor. I again flew twice it on 22 August 1975, once with Stan Greenhow and once solo. I flew solo in it again on 10 April 1976 and my final Chipmunk flight at Roborough was in it with your father on 06 February 1977. So WP809 was at Roborough (albeit possibly intermittently) during this period of over 3 years. Incidentally, I only remember the grey and red colour scheme but unfortunately I don't have any photos.

I also recall the instructors telling us that the Flight had never had an actual accident and that the nearest they had come to one was a near bale out. However the story I remember was that there was an engine failure. After several unsuccessful attempts to restart, the instructor told the student to bale out. They opened the canopy and the student unstrapped and unplugged and was just starting to climb out when the instructor managed to restart the engine. Cue frantic attempts by the instructor to stop the student by tapping (probably hitting him hard) on the shoulder to tell him to get back in. A shaken student strapped himself back in and they returned to Roborough.

If it is of any interest, between October 1973 and February 1977 I flew:
WP795 (901),
WK634 (902),
WD374 (903),
WP856 (904),
WK608 (906),
WB575 (907),
WB657 (908),
WP904 (909),
WB671 (910),
WP801 (911),
WP809 (912).
It would seem that I missed flying WK511 (905).

Mark

gpugh
23rd Nov 2010, 06:48
Hi Mark , thanks for your comments about father, he is still fighting fit but never flew again after the Chipmunks were retired, WK511 (905) he used during 1967, 906 the following year, for a series of air races, including the Kings Cup, as the official Navy entry, he was the flying grading examiner at that time and still serving in the Navy. It was put into storage a few years before they were all retired and sold a long time before others I think, we never saw it again,and it could be that 912 replaced it on strength but 912 and 909 were spares and held at Kemble but they would have been there on a frequent basis either as extras or when one of the others was undergoing major work at Kemble or later St Athan, you were just lucky lol, I seem to remember the incident with spinning, but I could be remembering incorrectly, and later they did have one engine failure that led to a successful forced landing in a field it was later flown out successfully.
You might remember me I was the "hanger rat" and used to spend all my time up there when not a school, either hand pumping fuel , doping wings etc, pushing, pulling and generaly getting in the way, all your numbers are correct by the way, the original colour scheme had gone by the time you got there, I do have a few pics if would like them, I can email them to you . Every year they would take several aircraft away to France for a couple of weeks in the sun and the old orange dayglo would fade to almost white, they would go in the company of a Sea Devon it used to look like a mother duck going off with her chicks in tow. As a matter of interest all the Roborough chipmunks are still around, a couple in the USA now with lycoming engines I think, some down under in NZ(905) & Aus, a couple in Europe, Lee on Solent had one for glider towing and RNHF have two of them 906 flying and 908 used for spares

regards Gordon

for anyone interested I believe these are current locations of BRNC Chippys

901 WP795 UK (Lee on Solent) ?
902 WK634 USA
903 WD374 AUS
904 WP856 USA
905 WK511 NZ
906 WK608 UK (RNHF)
907 WB575 France
908 WB657 UK (RNHF) non airworthy for spares
909 WP904 USA
910 WB671 Belgium
911 WP801 USA
912 WP809 UK

Shaggy Sheep Driver
23rd Nov 2010, 14:58
I also recall the instructors telling us that the Flight had never had an actual accident and that the nearest they had come to one was a near bale out. However the story I remember was that there was an engine failure. After several unsuccessful attempts to restart, the instructor told the student to bale out. They opened the canopy and the student unstrapped and unplugged and was just starting to climb out when the instructor managed to restart the engine. Cue frantic attempts by the instructor to stop the student by tapping (probably hitting him hard) on the shoulder to tell him to get back in. A shaken student strapped himself back in and they returned to Roborough

I think it's more likely the spin story that's correct, since one wouldn't bail out of a Chippy (or any other light aircraft) simply because of engine failure unless perhaps over very inhospitable terrain (or water!). The risks of being injured or even killed in such a bail-out would be far greater than the risks involved in a forced landing in an aeroplane like the Chippy.

manderson
29th Nov 2010, 04:23
I was unfortunately rather closely involved in the loss VH-FTA in 1968.

At the time I was doing my Instructor Rating with Bud "Spike" Jennings an ex WWII fighter pilot. Late the previous day we took FTA out for a session of aerobatics and spinning doing up to eight rotations in both directions recovering with no trouble at all.
The next morning Arthur Kell took out a student pilot for a PPL test usually involving one simple two turn spin and recovery, but as is well known, the aircraft did not recover and spun into the ground. Arthur was an ex RAF bomber pilot whose main claim to fame was that he took over Mickey Martin's Lancaster, Guy Gibson's second in command, when he finished his tour in the Dam Buster squadron after the famous raid and he subsequently flew RAF Brittanias.

For a time the three remaining Chipmunks (RSK, RCP & RSQ) were grounded then all fitted with the anti-spin strakes. Spike and I then had the dubious honour of taking RSQ, I think, for a series of spinning tests; this time with parachutes and again trouble free results.

Who knows if the twenty cent coin came from our pockets! The investigation showed that the forward movement of the elevators had been impaired by the coin but every time pressure was released and reapplied it popped out; Arthur would have been trying everything. Quite simply put the Chipmunk does a bad flat spin very occasionally; this is mainly due to D.H. Mosquito design of the tailplane where the forward set rudder is blanketed in spin. This is shown by the fact that nothing happens until the last inch or so of forward movement of the control column when it starts to bite. The strakes definitely helped by giving a more nose down attitude in the spin and if anybody had subsequently removed these on RSK they were crazy! More recent photos of RSK show them in place.

Beware Chipmunks do sometimes bite.

Tmbstory
29th Nov 2010, 08:03
manderson:

In my younger days I was an Instructor at the Royal Aeroclub of New South Wales at Bankstown.. I left the Club in mid 1961.

In those days we were allocated to a particular Chipmunk and mine was VH-FTA. I spent many hundreds of hours instructing in it. At the time there was a lot of talk in the industry, about the spinning characteristics of the Chipmunk. The CFI at the time spent many hours with some of the instructors testing in flight these characteristics.The spin recovery technique was not changed at that time.

In 1961,when I left the Aeroclub, my position and '"my' aircraft, VH-FTA was allocated to the (late) Arthur Kell when he joined the Club.

The accident was a sad loss of the crew and whether the 20P theory was the full answer or not, I do not know.. I was told that the covering around the bottom of the control column was dislodged or missing.

Tmb

Dora-9
29th Nov 2010, 11:10
Manderson, with respect there’s never been a Chipmunk in Australia registered VH-RCP. All my sources have referred to two RACNSW survivors after the FTA accident (RSQ and RSK), although that’s not to say there weren’t 3. Possibly you’re getting confused with RSP, although that was sold 4 months before the FTA accident.

To try and prove the “coin jammed in the control column saddle mounting” theory, DCA cast around for a similarly configured Chipmunk to FTA (i.e. small rudder/no strakes). As the two(?) survivors had, by this stage, been already fitted with the Aerostructures tapered strakes, they chose AFG. A removable bracket was fitted to limit forward column travel, intending to simulate the restriction caused by the jammed coin. The problem here was that AFG’s owner, at one stage Australian Aerobatic Champion, stated that AFG would recover from a spin “on ailerons alone”.

The trials were inconclusive…

Tmbstory
29th Nov 2010, 14:40
Dora-9:

I can not recall the registration VH-RCP in a DHC1.

From my logbook the Chipmunk registrations at that time were: VH-BAY,VH-BAX, VH-RSR, VH-RSV, VH-RSM, VH-RSP, VH-RSQ and VH-RSK.

Maybe the Registration VH-RCP was really VH-RSP.

Rgds

Tmb

India Four Two
29th Nov 2010, 14:55
this is mainly due to D.H. Mosquito design of the tailplane where the forward set rudder is blanketed in spin.

manderson,

I am confused (not difficult!). I was told that the fin and rudder were set forward so that they would NOT be blanketed by the tailplane during a spin.

manderson
30th Nov 2010, 06:18
My apologies, the Chipmunk was of course RSP as RS_ was the standard serials for most RAC NSW aircraft. RCP was a Cessna 310 that I used to fly for SAATAS; old age in action!

Also replying to to the Mosquito type tail the airflow is coming very much from under the horizontal tailplane in a fully developed spin hence partially blanketing the forward set rudder. In aircraft such as the Pitts the rudder continues down below the elevators so is still exposed to the airflow despite the alarming attitudes this aircraft encounters. If I remember correctly the rotation did not stop until the nose started down, despite initial application of opposite rudder. I don't think they used to deliberately spin Mosquitos!

Tmbstory
6th Dec 2010, 17:06
A photo with VH-FTA in the lead.

Tmbhttp://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll161/Chalus/Scannerhats0562.jpg

Tmbstory
7th Dec 2010, 07:01
Here is a photo of the fleet when I was instructing at the Club.

I may bring back some memories.

Tmbhttp://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll161/Chalus/Scannerhats0563.jpg

Weeds round the prop
7th Dec 2010, 11:26
I first left Terra Firma in a Chippy from RAF Newton, Nottinghamshire, England after waddling across the frosty grass with a parachute slapping the back of my legs. My memory tells me it was WD591 ?

I found the following in an old Air Training Corps magazine from around 1969. It refers to the scrapping of the Chippy in favour of the Beagle/SA Bulldog :

The Chipmunk Saga by Sqn Ldr Jonklaas.

"You are old, Mother Chipmunk," the young Pup said,
"And there's one thing that does me intrigue;
How you carry on spinning, to the left and the right.
Does it not cause you over-fatigue ?"

"In my youth," said the crone, "when my main spar was new,
Fatigue used to cause quite a scare.
Now I double my fatigue life time after time
So I always have something to spare."

"And your available radio aids slim.
Yet your limited frequencies don't cramp your style
And you wander around at your whim."

"In my youth," said the crone, it worried me sick,
As I dodged all those airways and cloud,
But now I keep tuned to 'Distress' all the time
And I yell 'Mayday' -three times- very loud."

"You have an old engine," the young Pup sneered,
"That cuts out with negative G.
Yet you do a slow roll whenever you please.
Seems like asking for trouble to me !"

"Since my youth," said the crone as she rolled once again,
"I've had just a touch of a cough.
Now they call it some fancy name -'rich cut'- I think,
But it doesn't put my pilots off."

"And it's high time I took your place.
You are tandem; and slow; and don't climb too well;
You must surely be slipping from grace."

"In my youth," said the crone, as her engine coughed twice,
"I was thought of as a real little honey.
And you don't stand a chance of stepping into my wheels
Because the Air Force has run out of money."

History records that Mother Chipmunk was wrong with her last two lines!

Regards to all, Weeds

Herod
7th Dec 2010, 16:28
Weeds, Mother Chipmunk may have been wrong, but I was still flying AEF cadets around in 1990.

Tmbstory, wonderful picture of a fleet of REAL aeorplanes/

Dora-9
7th Dec 2010, 19:30
Tmbstory - lovely photos, thanks.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
11th Dec 2010, 05:22
Isn't it 'amazing' as to how the 'wheel turns'....

I stumbled on this thread from one on the DHC-1, and.....suprise suprise....

I took my first flight in a Chippie as a young ATC Cadet, and 'loved it'.

So, on 17 May 1964 I took my TIF in 'FTA' with John McCullagh.
Other instructors followed - quite a few different ones - however lesson 3 saw me with 'Spike' Jennings, and so followed 'circuits' with him.
RSP, RSQ, RSK with Kev Fethers, with Alan Barlow, and eventually Bill Lord sent me 'off' in RSK on my first solo.

Did spins with Spike, no strakes then, and as far as I am aware, there were no problems with the recovery after 4 turns.
4 turns was the 'recommended max' then.
I do recall the stall from a climbing steep turn would give a rather fast 'autorotation' and a resulting 'wot happened then..?' as it spun the other way....
All of my spinning was in RSQ and RSK, in 1964.
Later in 1968 I was instructing in the WA Wheatbelt and was offerred Chippie AMV to use to teach a couple of Ag Sales people.
Did the required spins in her and they were OK. 4 turns only was 'good policy' apparently.
Then later, joy of joy, RSK appeared in WA and was available to moi..!! Again!!
It seemed to be the 'nicest' Chippie - something to do with a wing mod I was told - anyhow.
Pat Gallagher, ex RACNSW CFI, was in WA at that time and took great delight in checking out one of my students in it. I think he thoroughly enjoyed that aircraft as well.
'Chippies' and 'Tigers' - Ah! Wot a life it was....The WA wheatbelt was 'alive' with 'good' and 'interesting' aircraft way back then.

The 'wheel turning'.......
Recently, self and No1 son acquired one DHC-1 VH-RWI from RACWA.
Ex - WB728, EI-AHP, G-AOZU, 5N-AGP....others(?)

We intend leaving it 'on line' with RACWA as we don't have bottom-less pockets, and it will be 'interesting' to get into a Chippie again after 40 years on.....

That's a luvly photo Mr 'T' of the fleet lined up.
As I recall, RSX the PA-24 180 was a nice machine to fly. I only flew her once or twice as I had a better rate with a PA-24 '250' at the time.

And just for info, I did my navs with Arthur Kell. One of nature's gentlemen.
At about the same time there was a French Lancaster at De Hav's for servicing - it was a maritime patrol acft in from Noumea, and Arthur was invited to go and 're-kindle the memories' in it.

OOps sorry to take up so much space, ...memories....

Cheers:ok:

Dan Winterland
11th Dec 2010, 05:46
''And you don't stand a chance of stepping into my wheels
Because the Air Force has run out of money''

''Weeds, Mother Chipmunk may have been wrong, but I was still flying AEF cadets around in 1990.''

And the elementary trainer for the real RAF pilots (not the UAS students) until 1993!

Dora-9
11th Dec 2010, 06:49
Ex FSO GRIFFO - so you're the one who bought VH-RWI. Well done! PM sent...

Hobo
11th Dec 2010, 15:03
Interesting stuff re spinning. I was taught the way to spin was full rudder immediately followed by stick fully back and full opposite aileron. Hold like that throughout until recovery started.

Anybody else do their 1st solo in G-AOSN?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
11th Dec 2010, 15:48
G'Day "Dora",.....

Yep ! Just 'HAD' to keep it in WA............

Can't let 'youse guys' have ALL the fun!!

Cheers :ok: :p

Clive Roberts
11th Dec 2010, 15:58
Gives that WWII, 'chocks away, chaps!' feel when you pull the starter - and then you can pretend it's a Spitfire when you have to weave the nose to see where you are going whilst taxying.

Only disappointment - it cannot maintain altitude whilst enjoying aeros.

Don't stall turn to the left ... erm ... or was it right?

manderson
11th Dec 2010, 20:42
I am enjoying everybody's reminiscences of the Chipmunk; truly a memorable aircraft.

Mention of various RAC Instructors brings back memories.

I also was sent solo in RSK by Bill Lord during 1965, managing to achieve a complete induced tail wheel shimmy!

Arthur Kell was indeed a reserved gentleman. I did one eventful cross-country to Canberra with him plus several training flights. He actually was one of the crew (Captain?) who ferried the ex-New Caledonia French Navy Lancaster to Great Britain in the 1960's. Is this the one the BBMF still use?

Spike Jennings was a lovable, laid back, jolly fellow and a pleasure to fly with, which I did a lot.

Pat Gallagher was just before my time but his very low level demonstrations in a Chipmunk at Wallacia, including steep turns around a gum tree with the wing tip some 2 metres above the ground, were awesome.

Speaking of RSX the previous RSX was the Percival Prince which Sir Reg Barnewall purchased to start Polynesian Airlines in 1959. This aircraft remained largely intact in the bush near Faleolo Airport, Samoa until 2005 when a ruthless golf course contractor buried it in the ground! I had an enjoyable meeting with Sir Reg and his wife when they came to Samoa to release his book "Wings Over Samoa" in 2008.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Dec 2010, 21:33
Don't stall turn to the left ... erm ... or was it right?

Don't do it left if you want a simple life. As the speed drops with full power set, going straight up, you need more and more left rudder. By about 40kts you've pretty much got full left rudder on and you're still vertical.

So whack on full right, and round she'll go!

Dan Winterland
12th Dec 2010, 03:02
To the left is harder, and a different technique than that to the right. The trick is to take off the power slowly while feeding in the left rudder. The RAF EFTS students had to acheive an acceptable level in all the 5 basic aerobatic manouvres in the book (loop, barrel roll. slow roll, stall turn and roll off the top) and the stall turn had to be demonstrated both ways. They got taught the stall turn to the right first and to the left when they had mastered the right. They could invariably achieve all the aeros at the end of the 54 hour course.

Planemike
12th Dec 2010, 09:16
Wonder if anyone can help on this one...........

Twelve Chipmunks were registered in Kenya (VP-K** colonial register)
VP-KLM - VP-KLY.

I am seeking photos of the following four wearing their VP-K rgns:
VP-KLN DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 CI/0445 WG356
VP-KLT DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 CI/0368 WG312 to F-OASK
VP-KLU DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 CI/0340 WG276
VP-KLV DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 CI/0349 WG285

Wonder if there is anyone out there who can help me?

Thks Planemike...........

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th Dec 2010, 09:06
That's a 'LUVLY' formation shot Mr 'T'....
I was just 'reminiscing' over that one and......

I recall one day when the weather was 'crap', low cloud, drizzle, etc no flying training was being done so three instructors, PG the CFI, Bill Lord his 'Deputy' and one other whom I cannot recall, were off to the training area to practise 'Formation Flying'.
3 students were 'invited' to come along as pax - and pay for the fuel etc - so I went with PG.

I was 'in the back' of RSK, with PG in the front, and I have to say they were the 'closest' formations I have seen before or since.

At one time PG had the wing of RSK 'just' behind the Chippy in front, - about two to three feet behind I reckon - the 'lead' being flown nice and steady by Bill Lord.
We were 'tucked in' and held steady there at what seemed to me to be about one third down the span - I was impressed!!

Whatever they were, these guys were 'good'.

Cheers:ok::ok:

treadigraph
14th Dec 2010, 11:55
Planemike, have you pics of VP-KLS and 'KLY with their 5Y- registrations at all please? Having flown in both, I would love snaps for the record!

I came across 'KLS at Tamiami in '84, re-engined and stripped of paint - the Kenyan reg was just discernable.

ICT_SLB
14th Dec 2010, 16:30
Underneath the approach to Scottsdale, AZ, late on Sunday afternoon (local twilight), I heard the distinctive note of a Gipsy Major, looked up & saw a cream (?) with red trim Chipmunk. Beautiful!

Planemike
15th Dec 2010, 08:47
Treadigraph............

I have e-mailed you. Can help you with -KLS.

Planemike

treadigraph
18th Dec 2010, 21:49
Hi Planemike, fantastic! Sorry, didn't receive the email, can you try [email protected] please?

Many thanks,

Treadders

one design40
10th Jan 2011, 21:12
RAF Bicester!!!!

norwich
10th Jan 2011, 21:35
Just thought I would share a 2011 photo of a chipmunk on approach with the people who will appreciate it !

Keith.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/keithnewsome/DSC_0039-3-1.jpg

lamax
11th Jan 2011, 06:48
Manderson, I stand to be corrected, I did my commercial navs with Arthur Kell, I remember him being photographed with the Lancaster but I'm pretty sure he wasn't part of the ferry crew.

l.garey
11th Jan 2011, 08:56
One design: Welcome.
Did I miss something? What is your reference to RAF Bicester about? I am interested to find out as I flew Chipmunks there with OUAS

Laurence

spook
11th Jan 2011, 13:30
Laurence, it was in reference to a picture I posted ( page 4 post 72) last year! One design just PM'd me.:ok:

l.garey
11th Jan 2011, 13:43
OK Spook, I got it! Thanks. It was a while ago.
Letting SUAS into Bicester when OUAS were not looking. What a cheek.
This is me looking a bit too smug in front of WZ860 in 1962 or 1963

PS I still use the flying suit, and it still fits me

Laurence

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc39/apollo-fox/wz860wk638.jpg

Tmbstory
13th Jan 2011, 05:50
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Glad you liked the Formation Shot

They were good days

Rgds

Tmb

asmccuk
18th Jan 2011, 14:55
Out of a blue, sunny, big Norfolk sky less than an hour ago, my 2011 start at getting the garden under control was stopped by the lovely sound of a Gipsy Major as a Chipmunk passed on its way wide downwind to finals at Felthorpe. It would probably be the one in the picture from Norwich at post 167 last week.

It is hard to believe that my first activity on Chipmunks was in the wide skies of Perthshire on Glasgow UAS Chipmunks 55 years ago from Scone. Where has all the time gone?

Nostalgia indeed!

asmccuk

PS I posted at 15:55 not 07:55. Where did the time error come from?

Warmtoast
18th Jan 2011, 19:40
asmccuk

PS I posted at 15:55 not 07:55. Where did the time error come from?

It's all to do with E=MC2.

It has taken me over 60 years to comprehend its meaning which is that the older you get, the faster time goes.
So for readers under sixty start worrying and those of you who are over, well it’s way, way too late!

WT
(Who had his first Chipmunk flight way back in 1951)

norwich
18th Jan 2011, 22:11
asmccuk. It was possibly the very same Chipmunk ! My photo at post 167 was taken from inside Felthorpe airfield less than three weeks ago :D

Keith .... And another for good measure ....

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/keithnewsome/DSC_0050-2.jpg

HappyJack260
18th Jan 2011, 23:11
Just read/re-read the whole thread through from the start. It prompted me to get my old logbook out, and brought back a lot of memories.

I did my my solo on type in WK608 (now RNHF), in 1981 and totalled around 50 hours on the Britannia Flight Chippy's. I had the misfortune to be (nominally) Captain of Flying at BRNC in a term when the defence budget had been slashed and recreational flying curtailed, but made up for it by going back every leave I could for a year or two after I left BRNC.

My last Chipmunk flight was a couple of weeks ago, at Camden, NSW. After a few years flying Pitts S-2C I found it quite a challenge getting the speed down on finals - but what fantastic control harmonisation. I opted to fly from the rear seat (with an instructor in the front) being more used to this position from my Pitts flying. Compared to the Pitts, even the rear seat has great visibility....

Saint Jack
19th Jan 2011, 00:21
l.garey: In your Post #171 those wheel chocks look fat too small, couldn't you find anything larger?

WP833
24th Feb 2011, 08:14
Hello Chippers - this is my first post here. I'm the happy owner of WP833. I'd be happier of she was presently airworthy, but first there's a little problem with low oil pressure to fix - which isn't the subject of my posting.
I note many of you citing the registrations of Chippies you've flown in the past and would like to ask all those so inclined to let me have any dates and locations in which they may have flown in 833, in what capacity and with which unit ... and any photographs would also be very welcome. Much of the aircraft's logs were misplaced (that's a euphemism for 'carelessly lost') prior to her coming into my possession, so any entries would be welcome.

Hope that's not asking too much, TIA & safe landings.

Oh boy - I'm on probation, am I??? :\

l.garey
24th Feb 2011, 08:27
Welcome WP833. I am afraid I never flew you. I presume you have seen this bit of history:
http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/collections/aircraft/aircraft-history/X002-3448%20Chipmunk%20WP962.pdf
Maybe you are the author!

Laurence

PPRuNe Pop
24th Feb 2011, 09:32
Please re-adjust pictures to PPRuNe's maximum requirement. 850x850.

This is a repeat question - to avoid lateral spread of the page. The pics will be removed if the re-size request is ignored.

PPP

WP833
24th Feb 2011, 15:21
Not the author, but I am he credited by Andrew Simpson with the provision of additional info. And for the record G-BZGB became F-AZQZ. 833 is now legally registered as NC 918HF and (unlike in the UK) I am obliged to carry the civil reg ... but I've hidden it pretty well! ;-) so she still looks pristine. Here we are at AirVenture 2010 (photo credit Mark Hrutkay, used with his permission).
http://www.wilsher.net/photos/2010-07-29_KOSH_WP833_sml.jpg

RSuppards
28th Feb 2011, 19:33
Dear WP833,

How fortunate you are to be the carer for such a smart looking Chipmunk. I flew her on six occasions between 1971 and 1973 on the University of London Air Squadron at White Waltham and Abingdon. ULAS moved from WW to Abingdon for summer camp 1973 and took up residence. The squadron re-equipped with the Bulldog that autumn and the Chipmunks began to disappear. Best of luck with the oil pressure snag.

Regards

RSuppards

jabberwok
1st Mar 2011, 02:42
The comments about canopies had my ageing brain cells flicker briefly into life. The RAF may not have used bubble canopies but they did exist in the UK.

Excuse me a second whilst I rummage around for some old photos (late 1960's)...

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebAircraft/G-AOST.jpg

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebAircraft/G-APOY.jpg

Most of my hours were flown in the Hawarden Aero Club aircraft, particularly G-BARS, now in the colours of the Portuguese Air Force. Sadly I never took any photos of it and can't find any on line. My apologies then for including an accurate but synthetic FS repaint.

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/FS-Images/Scud_Runner.jpg

India Four Two
1st Mar 2011, 12:14
Here's an interesting Chipmunk I saw recently while on holiday in Tauranga, NZ. Unfortunately, I was not able to get a flight in it, because the owner was away.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/india42/Chipmunk.jpg

It is ZK-CVM, painted in a pseudo-Canadian colour scheme, but clearly not an ex-RCAF machine. It has the gear-leg shrouds and throttle of a T10, but no anti-spin strakes and has a bubble canopy.

A web-search
(http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~tuff/Articles/ChipmunkCVM.html (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/%7Etuff/Articles/ChipmunkCVM.html)
indicates that it was built in Canada and delivered to India as VH-CVM. It was imported to NZ in 1994 and was rebuilt with a new bubble canopy (and the gear-leg shrouds?)

Dora-9
1st Mar 2011, 21:27
India Four Two:

It is indeed an interesting Chipmunk!

ZK-CVM is Can.34, one of 12 aircraft built in Canada for the Indian DGCA in 1958, being registered in India as VT-CVM. (I suspect your use of VH-CVM was a typo).

It is a DHC-1A-2, a sort of “half-way house” between the simple DHC-1A-1 and the far more capable DHC-1B or (in the UK) the Chipmunk T.10/Mk.20 series. Fitted with a Gipsy-Major 10 Mk.1-3 engine, which had an accessory drive case, this aircraft sported the full blind-flying panel including vacuum driven DG’s and AH’s. But it still had the lighter centre-section, and thus retained the DHC-1A-1’s weight and aerobatic limitations.

One sure give-away that it’s not what its colour scheme purports it to be (i.e. a bubble canopied DHC-1B-S3 or -S5) is that this aircraft lacks the deeper cowl with the distinct step on the underside. Difficult to tell, but it also seems to retain the original narrow-chord rudder.

So, the gear leg fairings and (I think) T.10 throttle quadrant are indeed correct for the DHC-1A-2, while no Canadian-built Chipmunk had the strakes. The bubble canopy is clearly a later addition.

I'm going to Omaka next month and hope to meet the owner then!

India Four Two
1st Mar 2011, 23:59
(I suspect your use of VH-CVM was a typo)

Dora-9,
Obviously it was a subliminal message to you to reply :)

Thanks for the info. I was surprised to discover that while I had taken multiple photos of other aircraft at the Tauranga museum, I have only this one of CVM. There is a better picture of the rudder here ( NZ Civil Aircraft: A very tidy unit. (http://is.gd/TWGrra) ) and a nice picture of the cockpit.

I couldn't fly CVM, because the owner was down-route on his day job and none of the instructors at Classic Flyers had been checked out.

It is in beautiful condition but a shame that the yellow is the wrong colour. It is more lemon-yellow than the picture shows. It should be more like the colour of the chocks.

After my post, I found this page ( De Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk (http://www.warbirdsofindia.com/ap/hyderabad/7-dhc1-chipmunk.html) ) showing another Chipmunk from the same batch, in a very sorry state.

Simon

PS "I suspect your use of 1958 was a typo" ;)

Dora-9
2nd Mar 2011, 10:47
Thank you, India Four Two, for your reply.

The curse of typos – OF COURSE I meant 1948!

The photos on the NZ Civil Aircraft site show clearly the narrow-chord rudder and also the smaller DHC-1A elevator horns. I don’t know about you but I’m not that keen in dressing up aircraft to represent something they’re not – then again I’m probably a pedant and I guess the guy paying the bills can do what he likes! Nevertheless, it is indeed a very tidy unit.

I assume that when the blown canopy was fitted a DHC-1B windscreen was also fitted? The earlier Chippies had a distinctly narrower canopy cross-section (much more “pointy” at the top).

And as for the shots of the dilapidated Chipmunk on a pole in India – how very sad.

India Four Two
2nd Mar 2011, 11:33
I agree with you about "dressing up" aircraft. In this case, keeping the original greenhouse canopy and the naked gear legs would have made it unique. I suppose I'm a pedant too - having flown both the T10 and an RCAF DHC-1B, I appreciate the lines of both and I dislike seeing Shuttleworth's T10 in RCAF colours.

At least CVM looks, at first glance, similar to a 1B. I thought it was ex-RCAF until I saw the throttle quadrant and then I was confused.

The link I posted earlier states that the new canopy came from the US, so presumably it is for a 1B. If you meet the current owner in Omaka, perhaps you can ask him about the windscreen (or measure it)? :)

Vampiredave
2nd Mar 2011, 11:49
Looking at the flying programme for the RAF St Mawgan Battle of Britain celebrations on 16 September 1972 there is an item called "The Grasshoppers". The 'team' was from the East Midlands UAS (which I presume was on its Summer Camp?) and used four / five Chipmunk T.10s WG308, WP901:A, WZ878:M, WZ884:U and WP984:S Can anyone recall this team or its members.

Thank you in advance.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Mar 2011, 17:37
Most of my hours were flown in the Hawarden Aero Club aircraft, particularly G-BARS, now in the colours of the Portuguese Air Force. Sadly I never took any photos of it and can't find any on line. My apologies then for including an accurate but synthetic FS repaint.

I, too used to fly G-BARS out of Hawarden for a year or two in the very early '80s. We started to fly her because our own G-BCSL needed at lot of work soon after we bought her and just after we'd checked out! So we drove down the road to Chester to keep our Chippy currency!

Do you remember 'Black Jake' who ran the place back then? There were "do not" signs everywhere in the clubroom, and even a diagram to show us how he wanted cheques to be written-out! Needless to say, after he'd gone home at 5pm (he was a clock-watcher!) I'm told (ahem!) great fun flying down taxyways, around and over hangars etc was had! And low level 'straffing missions' at zero feet down the Dee Estuary, too!

All 'allegedly', of course. ;):ok:

Dora-9
2nd Mar 2011, 18:09
India Four Two,

You're a lucky man to have flown both - in truth I've never even seen a DHC-1B in the flesh (there's only one in Australia, an -S2, not airworthy and hidden away).

Just to clarify, the DHC-1A-2's supplied to India were fitted at the factory with undercarriage leg fairings, though they seem of lesser chord than the UK-fitted ones.

I certainly will take a tape measure to Omaka! From Hugh Shields, the guru on Canadian Chipmunks, comes the suggestion that ALL Canadian Chipmunks had the narrower cross-sectioned windscreen. DHC's remedy to criticisms of the restrictive narrow canopy was the superb blown one. This still seems a simpler and far more elegant solution than that produced by DH in the UK. Apparently the original Canadian blown canopy doesn't match the UK-style windscreen; now possibly I have the explanation.

Cheers.

boguing
3rd Mar 2011, 12:19
I must ask my Sister for my Father's log book.

He loved the Chipmunk, and used to fly himself around as part of his job at Elliott Automation.

I believe that would have been from Rochester. Does anyone know if it or they were Company owned or privately hired? He also flew Tiger Moths, probably from the same base.

Does anyone know? On Pprune? Silly question! You'll probably tell me his Mothers' maiden name and my inside leg.

BEagle
3rd Mar 2011, 20:28
I flew WP833 'K' on 4 occasions when I was a ULAS student:

28 Jun 72 at RAF Newton (solo GH, aeros and circuits)
6 Jul 72 at RAF Newton with Sqn Ldr Jim Sewell (Preliminary Flying Badge test - PASS!)
10 Dec 72 at RAF White Waltham (solo GH, aeros and circuits)
11 Jul 73 at RAF Abingdon (solo GH and circuits - my last trip as a ULAS student!)

I've just found this photo of her which I took at RAF Newton in June 1972:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/untitled1.jpg

Happy days!

India Four Two
4th Mar 2011, 08:48
Beagle,

As you say, happy days.

Operating off the grass at Summer Camps - it brings back the smell of Avgas, oil, new-mown grass and sweaty flying-suits!

Basil
4th Mar 2011, 21:20
Bas trying (unsuccessfully) to look cool in one for the girlfriend :O

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Capn_Basil/SouthCerneyChipmunk1966.jpg
South Cerney Chipmunk 1966

Chipmunk Janie
7th Mar 2011, 19:45
Please excuse me for butting in, but I am sure this will be of interest to you all.

There is to be a Chipmunk Fly In at Panshanger Aerodrome EGLG to mark the 65th anniversary of the first Chipmunk flown on Sunday 22nd May 2011. Please see ...

www.chipmunk.aero

We've had 26 Chipmunks register so far, including the two BBMF ones.

Free bacon ciabattas for the pilot in command.
Free landings for Chipmunks.
Half-price Historic Aircraft Association membership on the day (i.e. £12.50)
Free membership of the flying club at Panshanger (incs 50% off landings and 10% off cafe purchases).

Some interesting Chipmunk talks and competitions are currently at the planning stages.

norwich
10th Mar 2011, 22:49
Chipmunk Janie, Thank you, The Panshanger event is a must do thing ! Will try to be there to record the happy event !

Keith.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/keithnewsome/chippy1.jpg

manderson
12th Mar 2011, 07:22
My apologies for not replying some time ago.

The Lancaster ferry flight to England was a few years before I was associated with Arthur and I am vague on the details, having received it second hand. I had heard he was part of the ferry crew and he was most certainly a very experienced Lancaster pilot.

It could be he was only photographed with the aircraft due his involvement with the dam buster squadron as Mickey Martin's replacement captain.

I would certainly be interested to hear any more details.

norwich
3rd Apr 2011, 22:51
Another Chipmunk leaped in front of my lens today at Fenland .......

Keith.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/keithnewsome/fenland%20%20sibson%202/DSC_0048a.jpg

Flying Lawyer
4th Apr 2011, 20:47
dates and locations in which they may have flown in 833, in what capacity and with which unit

2 Aug 72: RAF Newton, GH, aeros and circuits. (Solo)
4 Aug 72: Squadron formation (6 Chipmunks) RAF Newton to RAF Bicester at the end of summer camp. (Dual with Sqn Ldr Jim Sewell.)
We were unable to get home to RAF White Waltham due to weather so landed at Bicester and continued by road in RAF transport. The aircraft were recovered to WW the next day.

Sadly, that was my last ULAS flight.
(But I did manage to wangle 2 summer camps that year. ;))

Happy days indeed, as BEagle and India Four Two say. :ok:

Haraka
5th Apr 2011, 08:10
Following on from the above ULAS guys:
4 Mar 72 ( PI Sqn Ldr Sewell) Circuits GH Aeros
11 Apr 72 ( P1 Flt Lt Bomber) " " "
12 Apr 72 Solo " " "
31 Jul 72 " " " "
15 Sep 72 " " " "

End of an era.......

Fake Sealion
5th Apr 2011, 08:46
Some nostalgic UAS posts here....I missed the Chipmunk at Southampton UAS by 12 months so flew some shiny new Bulldogs. This was from Hamble plus summer camps at Swinderby 75 & Wyton 76 (wonderful summer for aviators?)

However....did fly the Chipmunk (20 mins solo) on the Royal Navy Flying Grading course at Plymouth 1978 - on my way through RN Pilot Training.

My solo mount was WB575 - last heard of on the French civvy register.

BEagle - Would almost certainly have seen you bashing the circuit at Abingdon as I gazed out of the window at school!

N707ZS
5th Apr 2011, 09:39
I don't think anyone has mentioned G-IDDY the super Chipmunk I only ever saw it once at Breighton a fantastic machine.

Haraka
5th Apr 2011, 09:49
BEagle - Would almost certainly have seen you bashing the circuit at Abingdon as I gazed out of the window at school!

Possibly, although the rest of us on ULAS would have been at White Waltham in those days.

BEagle
5th Apr 2011, 11:02
Fake Sealion, I doubt whether you would have seen me bashing the RAF Abingdon circuit in 1973 - in the 2 weeks of Summer Camp I was only allowed 5 flights as I'd already passed my PFB in 1972. Most of my flying was at RAF White Waltham - although I returned to instruct on the 'dog at RAF Abingdon in 1990.

Funny you should mention the weather in Aug 72, FL. I had only recently bought myself a 5 year old MG Midget, so set off one Saturday morning from RAF Newton to drive home down the A46 / Leicester (no M69 back then...) / Fosse way to Bath, then down to Somerset. Roof down, suitcase in the boot and aircrew holdall under the tonneau cover - although it wasn't very sunny. But as I drove down Pennsylvania Hill into bath, there was a traffic jam....and then the rain started. It poured down!

To de-rig the tonneau cover, remove and stow the tonneau bars, raise the hood and fiddle with the 'lift the dot' fingernail breaking fasteners wasn't a quick job on a 1967 Midget, so I had to sit there getting wetter and wetter until the jam reached a lay-by. By then it had stopped raining, so I just thought "Sod it" and kept going!

Summer of '76 was indeed a good time for aviators - I had 3 months flying Hunters with Standards Squadron at RAF Brawdy. It was hell, I tell thee! But I'd had to sell another Midget in June, as it had become increasingly difficult to move all my wordly possessions around the RAF stuffed into a little MG! Best summer in living memory and I no longer had a convertible - ah well.

RAF Abingdon, RAF Brawdy, RAF Newton and RAF White Waltham - days when we had a reasonable sized RAF. They might no longer be RAF stations (neither are other aerodromes from my ULAS days - RAF Andover, RAF Chivenor, RAF St. Mawgan, RAF Tangmere, RAF Thorney Island, RAF Watton and RAF West Malling), but at least the good old Chippy is still pottering amiably around the skies!

India Four Two
6th Apr 2011, 13:07
On another thread, that is for some reason closed, Dan Winterland said of the Chipmunk:
a second radio which was required by the RAF regs to fly above cloudWhen did this requirement come in and was it triggered by an "incident"?

Nobody seemed worried about one radio when I flew Chipmunks above winter stratus in the late sixties.

fincastle84
6th Apr 2011, 13:35
My first flight was with the ATC at RAF Newton in May '61. I subsequently completed my PPL on my Flying Scholarship at Castle Donington (EMA) in September 1965. Wonderfully forgiving aircraft, happy days!

Aerials
6th Apr 2011, 15:49
India Four Two, iirc, there was to be a series of King's Cup Air Races and Schneider Trophy Air Races and the Flying Selection Squadron were chosen to represent the RAF using the Chipmunk. Some of the RAF's fleet were VHF equipped, some were UHF using PTR 170. That was a 12 channel set, crystal controlled. This was incompatible with airways transits and the civilian airfields that the crew had to establish contact with as they were all VHF only.

The Becker was presented to me by the fleet Engineering Manager based at RAF Swanton Morley for installation on one aircraft. I don't recall if there was a requirement for it to be easily removed and installed in another aircraft in the case of an unserviceability. Nevertheless, I had my ideas where it was best installed and the Squadron management had theirs! I preferred the removal of one of the instruments which wasn't on the Minimum Operating Requirement list and fitting the radio to the panel. That's why it ended up being in a really awkward place to be operated. '331 (A) was chosen by Squadron engineering management in consultation with the Aircrew. A different propeller was fitted especially for the races too, but I don't recall the details - coarser pitch I think.

As for when, I can only quote Dan here as it being 1985 which ties in with my ever diminishing memories. I removed the Special Trial Fit and left the Squadron not long after the races finished. After that there was a mod. programme and the aircraft got all tarted up with the new radio and a heater!

Dora-9
6th Apr 2011, 20:29
There's a whole heap of radio modifications so I'm unable to locate a precise date for the Becker radio fit. However, if this helps, the modification to fit the cockpit heater (H.336) is dated 18.6.1979. Presumably though it took quite some time for the entire fleet to be fitted....

Cheers!

Dan Winterland
7th Apr 2011, 03:07
I just took a quick look at my Pilot's notes for that period and it mentions that post Mod SEM 018, a Dittel ATR720B VHF radio set was installed. When I was a student at the FSS (Flying Selection Squadron) in 1985, only WD331 had the Dittel installed as it was the air racing aircraft. I went back there in 1991 as an instructor and all 15 aircraft of the now re-named EFTS had the Dittel, as well as a new UHF set which you could tune rather than relying on having the correct crystal loaded! We used to fly the aircraft above 8/8ths in 1985, but in 1991 that was only allowed with a second or standby radio. It's possible that the FSS Chippies weren't complying - I remember on the Jet Provost in 1985, the fairly unreliable two channel Standby UHF was a no-go item. So the dual radio regulation may be prior to 1985.

The Dittel was a local mod and only the EFTS Chippies were fitted with it. EFTS were the only Chipmunk unit at the time regularly flying their aircraft IMC and we all had current instrument ratings, whereas most of the other units, the Air Experience Flights were limited to VMC only.

Dora-9: Your aircraft had the Dittel fitted as an EFTS aircraft. It was also the air-racing mount for a couple of seasons.

Aerials - I don't think the racing aircraft had a different prop - it was just a newer cleaner one. At the time we only had the one prop type. There was a slightly finer one available for glider towing, but not in 1985. WD331 did get wider jets in the carburettor and a few other mods including removal of the heater which involved re-fitting the earlier more aerodynamicly cleaner exhaust. Your extra aerial must have added a bit of drag though! The racing aircraft were still Squadron airframes and were used for flying instruction - but not often given to students to fly solo.

BEagle
7th Apr 2011, 08:10
Our UAS Chippies were fitted with the ancient VHF controller which was connected to the suitcase-sized VHF box somewhere behind the rear seat (I think). The controller caused a unidirectional motor to rotate to select the right crystal; going from Channel A to Channel B was quite quick, but from B back to A took a fair bit longer - you could hear the thing whirring and clattering away..

Funnily enough, many years after the frequencies were no longer in use, our aircraft were still crystalled with historic frequencies such as 115.56 MHz and 142.29 MHz etc - utterly useless except for Chippy-to-Chippy!

But putting the full-band VHF set in the Hawk was fun - if you hunted around above 137 MHz, you could find some interesting conversations...:E

stevepb
20th Apr 2011, 22:20
Laurence
I just came across your thread today. I love the shot of you in front of WZ860. The reason it has my attention is that I fly WZ860 all the time. In fact, I won an award at Airventure with it last year. It belongs to Jim and Cathy Read in Indiana (USA). Positively a delight to fly. It has been restored in RCAF colors and fitted with a bubble canopy. Registered under N26JH. If you google it you will see both it and me. Do you have any information about it during that time? Where were you? I love to collect information about the aircraft.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Steve Buchelt
[email protected] ([email protected])

l.garey
21st Apr 2011, 06:34
Thanks for your message Steve.
I first flew WZ860 (coded "C") with Oxford UAS in December 1961. I see from my logbook that it became quite a "favourite". That same month I did my Instrument Flying Test on it with instructor Boz Robinson, ex Hunter pilot on 74 Sqd, who went on to become AVM and a lead figure in the "first Gulf War".
My longest flight in 860 was 2h20 from Kinloss to Middle St George in August 1962, ferrying it back from our summer camp. I then took it from MSG back home to Bicester. I got to know it aerobatically during an intensive camp to work up for the Cooper Trophy in April 1963. It was also a favourite of mine for instrument flying and I have a number of GCAs logged. July 1963 saw me flying it at Leuchars. Indeed my last OUAS flight was in 860, in December 1963, again a couple of GCAs, I think at local Upper Heyford.
There is a photo of it still as "C" at Bicester in 1970.
Oxford UAS RAF [C] (http://www.transportphotos.com/air/photo/MIL26732)

I am a bit sorry to see it dressed up as a Canadian Chipmunk, but that is the owner's preogative.
Laurence

Fareastdriver
24th Apr 2011, 14:58
Going back to a post nearly two years ago I described a fully camoflaged ex Cyprus chipmunk our squadron had when the Valiants were grounded. We used two, WB733 and WP850 with 850 being the camoflaged one. Both were sold shortly afterwards in April 1965 becoming GATDE/F. WP 950 ended up at the Test Pilot School in Mojave but sadly has been repainted back to its standard paint scheme.

1971bronco
21st May 2011, 20:58
somebody was wanting to finish a Chippie out to orginal Royal Navy marking and color.
If I can help I have WP 904 that is in orginal Royal Navy colors and marking. I have pictures of same if you need them. Shoot me an email and I can send you the pictures. I guess my email address is available to you via this site. If not it is [email protected]

DownWest
24th May 2011, 10:29
Another fun read..

We had a Chipmunk in for C of A in 72/3? at Shipdam and I fitted new u/c bushes among other work. It looked a bit different to normal and I was told it was the original DHC evaluation a/c for the RAF. So that would have been CF-FHY? For reasons I can't remember, the air test was not by one of our pilots, but the guy who did it said he had flown 22 different 'types' and this was by far the nicest. I managed a quick PX in it and a short 'clutch'.
Andrew

treadigraph
24th May 2011, 12:14
DownWest, that was probably G-AKDN which was a Canadian built aircraft acquired by DH in 1947. Still registered and airworthy!

DH also had G-AJVD which later became G-ARFW but was WFU in 1966.

Blacksheep
24th May 2011, 12:21
but at least the good old Chippy is still pottering amiably around the skies!THere were quite a few about at Panshangar at the weekend - they had a Chipmunk Fly-In.

Dora-9
25th May 2011, 00:21
Great photos thanks, may I comment (hopefully constructively) on them? I stress I don’t claim expertise regarding University Air Squadrons and would welcome further comment.

Firstly, I can find no reference to a “Kent University Air Squadron”. I understand that Kent was covered by the University of London Air Squadron (ULAS).

I suspect the first photo was taken rather later than 1973 as both Chipmunks are in the second version of the Red/White/Light Grey scheme, which didn’t appear until 1974. By this stage the SA Bulldog had replaced the Chipmunk with the UAS’s, so I doubt they were UAS aircraft either.

However the 1973 date is quite likely in the lower photo, as at least one Chipmunk is in the first variant of the R/W/LG scheme, introduced in 1970. These ones are UAS aircraft! UAS markings had by this stage devolved into a standardized arrangement, whereby the badge was located beneath the rear cockpit and comprised a university unique device within a square frame, flanked by bars in the appropriate colours. Despite trying to enhance the photo, I can’t see just which device or bar colours are there. But they’re not ULAS aircraft - this unit seems to have eschewed the standardized markings, favouring a small badge on the cowl and the fuselage roundel flanked by dark blue bars – clearly not evident in the photo.

Hopefully this will provoke more discussion and won’t read too much like a lecture.

Cheers!

Dora-9
25th May 2011, 05:22
I’ve just returned from the Omaka Air Show, where I managed to get a really good look at ZK-CVM but didn’t get to meet the owner. It is indeed “in beautiful condition” as you stated, an absolute credit to him and obviously the result of a fastidious AND extensive restoration (for that you can read $$$$$!).

Walking around this aircraft it becomes apparent just in how many ways a Canadian-built Chipmunk differs from its UK (or Portuguese) built brethren. While I’d always thought the different undercarriage rake was difficult to detect in photos, rather surprisingly it’s readily apparent when seen “in the flesh”.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/PP1.jpg

You’ll recall my earlier comments about Canadian windscreens – further research indicates that ALL Canadian windscreens (for both the DHC-1A and -1B) are identical, all having the same narrower cross-section (compared to that fitted to the T.10/Mk.20/21/22 – these photos show the difference:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/PP2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/PP3.jpg

Lastly, returning to Omaka, there were two other immaculate Chipmunks present. More and more I like the silver/yellow bands scheme! These were ZK-RFS (C1-0141, ex WB693) and ZK-UAS (C1-0633, ex WK621, G-BDBL):

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/PP4.jpg

Fake Sealion
25th May 2011, 08:17
Manston Photos

I would suggest that the Chipmunks in question were possibly photographed whilst at Manston for a UAS Summer Camp. This being the case, we can ask any Ppruners if they know of any UAS Summer camps at Manston in the period say 1972-75? The UAS markings in the photo are not quite readable.

FS - (ex SUAS -1975-77):ok:

Fake Sealion
25th May 2011, 13:22
No 1AEF were located at Manston. However, in the lower of the 2 photos (sans Wessex) the right hand Chippie looks to be wearing the typical UAS badge with coloured horizontal band. AEF badges tended to be a simple crest or logo.

My theory -

Could be the "UAS" Chippie was on loan to the AEF for some reason or it might for example have been a ex-UAS Chippie which had just been replaced by a Bulldog and sent to 1 AEF for its remaining life? The fact that the red/white Chippies don't have prominent UAS markings supports my theory.

But....didn't the AEFs themselves detatch way to other RAF Stations for their own Summer Camps?

Steve Bond
25th May 2011, 14:53
7 AEF Newton - happy days. I was the Corporal "sootie" there in 1980-81 before I got promoted and banished to Valley. Great times looking after five Bulldogs and four mega-reliable Chipmunks, with university-length holidays!

Dora-9
25th May 2011, 20:45
Fake Sealion: I wondered about the owner unit being 1 AEF too, but was distracted by the obvious UAS shape of the badge on the RH Chipmunk. But the R/W/LG aircraft’s badge doesn’t appear to have bars, and with a stretch of the imagination could well be 1 AEF’s “Elephant” badge, so you may well be right.

Cheers.

India Four Two
26th May 2011, 16:50
Dora-9,

Thanks for the update on CVM. Nice photos. The windscreen difference is obvious when you compare the two aircraft but I don't think I would ever have noticed otherwise.

So how was Omaka? I'm jealous. Do you have any other photos you can post?

I'm planning to be back in Tauranga next February, to coincide with their biennial airshow and I also hope to fly CVM.

BEagle
26th May 2011, 19:51
The badges on those Chipmunks are, I'm pretty sure, ULAS markings. I'm also reasonably sure that ULAS was on Summer Camp at RAF Manston in 1974.

I might be able to confirm that on Sunday at the ULAS fly-in/drive-in at Old Warden aerodrome.

ULAS Summer Camps in my time were:

1970: RAF Thorney Island (also RAF Tangmere for circuits)
1971: RAF Marham (also RAF Watton for circuits)
1972: RAF Newton
1973: RAF Abingdon
1990: RAF St Mawgan
1991: RAF St Mawgan
1992: RAF Benson

Is there a ULAS in the house? Can anyone fill in the gaps* from 1974-1989?

*(This is not an invite for UWAS 'lads' to commit violence - they'll understand the meaning of that!)

G-APDK
27th May 2011, 07:47
For all you Chipmunk aficionados, the Air-Britain Fly-In at North Weald (EGSX) on 2-3 July will also have a gathering of Chipmunks, (along with Austers), as part of its British Classics theme.

All are welcome so please come along. The Air-Britain website contains details.

G-APDK

Dan Winterland
27th May 2011, 08:52
It's referred to as the ''Coffman'' starter in some manuals. I have also seen it referred to as the ''Koffman'' starter. But if you watch this video, you will see the correct spelling is ''Coughman'!''

YouTube - ‪Chipmunk start failure.wmv‬‏ (http://youtu.be/C2ZCmWeQTQE)

Dora-9
27th May 2011, 21:08
But BEagle, I thought that the ULAS was the first UAS to receive the BA Bulldog - in 1973.

India Four Two
28th May 2011, 09:12
''Coughman'!''

The first time that happened to me, there was an expletive from the back seat, followed by a rapid closing of the canopy to keep the smoke out and then "Boss" McGrory explained we had had a "slow burn".

Dan Winterland
11th Aug 2011, 09:42
I've just uploaded some video of RAF Chipmunks in service.

RAF Chipmunks - YouTube (http://youtu.be/ZGCvonfiaR0)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Aug 2011, 17:19
Thanks Dan. Aeros above the clouds, and some nice formation stuff. Just jealous that they were getting paid for it! I've got our Chippy booked next week but all my flying is funded out of my wallet. :eek:

But hey, for a Chippy, it's worth every penny! :ok:

Dora-9
11th Aug 2011, 20:52
Bloody marvelous, Dan - really evocative stuff. Thanks for posting this.

Dan Winterland
12th Aug 2011, 03:55
Thanks guys. It's 10 minutes edited from a couple of hours of video I took while I was an instructor at EFTS. The place really was a gem. Fifteen Chippys on our own airfiield and a new batch of students turning up every six weeks. All the instructors and most of the students had a ball. If you speak to EFTS alumni, they often say it's the best fun flying they had in their career. I was also a student there, and it's true with me.

WG478 is in there somewhere if you look hard enough!

cossie
12th Mar 2014, 05:24
I spent a good deal of time in chippies with Pat Gallagher during the late 1950"s as I worked weekends on the old Morris fuel truck while learning to fly. I often went with Pat on test flights and he taught spin recovery as being specific to aircraft type. Interestingly, Tom Long, George Martin and Bill Lord all had slight variations to each other. During the sixties I flew Lockheed Hudson's with Adastra and the chief pilot, Lionel Van Praag demonstrated two spin recovery techniques associated with the load distribution in the aircraft.
The RACNSW and the members remain the foundation of all that came after.
Cossie

India Four Two
12th Mar 2014, 18:33
During the sixties I flew Lockheed Hudson's with Adastra and the chief pilot, Lionel Van Praag demonstrated two spin recovery techniques associated with the load distribution in the aircraft.

Cossie,

Welcome to PPRuNe. Could you clarify which aircraft you are talking about? Surely not the Hudson? :sad:

jonnyskyboss
9th Sep 2016, 20:54
Wow! What a fascinating read! My dad flew in the chippie, tiger moth and provost at Roborough around 1960-63ish. His name is George Rundle. Anyone remember him at all? He was a Barnardo boy from Efford. I'd love it if I could find someone who flew with him just to give me an idea of the aircraft numbers he flew in. Here's one I found yesterday at Turweston Aerodrome here in Buckinghamshire...http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad60/anthonyrundle/IMG-20160908-00288.jpg

dragontech
6th Apr 2017, 03:43
hi guys, here are the first batch of Chipmunks, did theses first from a image on this site, lots and lots more to do, hope you like them.

Dora-9
6th Apr 2017, 20:06
Could I humbly suggest:

a) the black anti-dazzle panel corners were more rounded,
b) the code numbers were fractionally larger and hard up against the white area,
and c) the red sweeps up slightly on the rear fuselage so that the red/white division is immediately below the strakes, leaving the serial entirely in the red area.

Photobucket is on strike again or I'd post some 2 FTS photos, although they're on this thread previously anyway....

Dora-9
6th Apr 2017, 20:10
See post #80. Note also the prominent white "squares" on the cowl sides - these are the background to the oil and brake fluid specifications stencils.

Dora-9
6th Apr 2017, 21:55
Dragontech:

I meant to add that I thoiught the profiles were a great effort!

There are at least two (possibly three) more 2 FTS "Blue Chips" aircraft:

WG348/28
WG478/20

These are based on photos I have. There is also an intriguing Air Britain spotter's report on an airshow in the UK (courtesy of Geoff Ambrose) where WG478 and WK507/36 were present as representatives of the "Blue Chips", although whether the latter wore the blue flash/unit crest device is open to conjecture. Certainly this was removed from WG478; there is a 1974 photo of her re-coded as "30" (in quite diminutive numbers as well) showing no sign of the blue flash.

IcePack
6th Apr 2017, 22:05
Anyone remember this one:-

Aircraft G-IDDY (1950 De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk 22 C/N C1/0359) Photo by Malcolm Clarke (Photo ID: AC406672) (http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000406672.html)

& what happened to it.

DaveReidUK
6th Apr 2017, 23:10
It went to the States as N311SH and was subsequently cancelled as destroyed, though there's no FAA or NTSB record of any accident involving it that I can see.

Wander00
7th Apr 2017, 09:00
What engine in that then?

Jhieminga
7th Apr 2017, 09:13
1 x LYCOMING O-540-G1A5 according to G-INFO

Exnomad
8th Apr 2017, 12:56
My last flight in a Chipmunk a very long time ago, April 24th 1952. I never had any trouble with spin recovery. Did have a worry once, spinning down happily from 10,000, when I realised I was heading for a Bristol Freighter. Application of full rudder immediately/

Wander00
8th Apr 2017, 14:00
Jheiminga - VMT -W

Discorde
8th Apr 2017, 18:27
With acknowledgements to the copyright holder of the original image prior to Photoshopping.

http://steemrok.com/Chip%20form%20v5

Shaggy Sheep Driver
8th Apr 2017, 21:09
If it has a Lycoming, it ain't a Chippy. Used to be, but isn't any more. Much of the character of the aeroplane emanates from its engine.

SFCC
8th Apr 2017, 23:28
G-IDDY wasn't destroyed as far as I know.
Sean De Rosier was rebuilding it at the time he was killed in an accident in his One Design. subsequent status not known