PDA

View Full Version : Any flying job, anywhere

lorenzo77
15th Aug 2009, 17:00
I am a recent graduate of an integrated atpl course with one of the large UK schools. I am looking for ANY pilot job, anywhere in the world and I would like this thread to be a useful reference for people in my position. I have 250 hours of which about 80 multi, all single pilot operations, frozen JAA ATPL with MCC.

Please refrain from turning the thread into the usual moaning about debt, lack of jobs etc...I want the thread to provide practical tips for flexible job-seekers, nothing else.

Thanks!

Giggey
15th Aug 2009, 17:38
Ciao Lorenzo.

Sorry to say that as i was in your position just a couple of years ago, but the global situation was different and the market still had some place for keen,prepared,committed but low houred people.

Today the situation is pretty much different,most of airlines are in trouble and instead of hiring the major issue is how to fire people.

There are so many of your colleagues (i'll be one of those too..soon) which have lost their job with plenty of hrs and experience which cannot find a job, just think how your position would be compared to them.

Airlines just think $$$ €€€ etc, the only way to get their attention on you is to let them know how much they would save hiring you instead of another guy and believe me, now it is very tough to compete with the various Contract/CIGS (Italian social help) etc...

The only suggestion i can try to give you is to try one of these Soponsorship like the ctc program, Cathay or, and now people will get hot, get a rating but with a chance of employment or at least some hr building program.

Be aware that it's gonna be though, i absolutely DONT WANT TO TURN YOU DOWN and if you really believe in it, you'll succeed in achieving what i think is your dream.

It's not impossible, it's just hard...

Tantissimi auguri amico mio. :ok:

GJ.

Ps: I also went for a self sponsored TR, paid no hrs line training and got a job but the market was in need of pilots.
Now they prefere to fire people and hire experienced coming from previous bankrupcies etc so at my point of view it is not the moment to go through such like big investment.

euindkan
20th Aug 2009, 13:55
Is anybody hiring Flight Instructors's

I got FAA CFI/CFII/MEI. 260 dual given
no work permit for US.

ready to relocate anywhere.

redsnail
20th Aug 2009, 18:42
Lorenzo,

Intelligent research is the key to your success.
You say "anywhere". However, most entry level jobs outside of Europe require you to be there.

Ok so where?
Africa, the Caribbean etc have historically taken on low houred pilots. Scenic ops is the usual first choice before moving onto twins/turbines.

How to find out who? Use Travel agents and google to find out operator names. Look in the appropriate forums for tips and tricks.

Bear in mind that there will be license issues as well as passport restrictions. Research before spending money.

If shifting overseas is not an option then for low houred guys, airlines usually hire low houred guys. There are some GA sort of jobs around but you'll have to hunt them down.

Which airline?
Spend time researching the airlines that have hired low houred pilots in the past.

What usually happens is that the experienced guys will get hired first. Then the low houred guys will get taken on. The trick is to get your timing right. If you apply to an airline that has already taken on a lot of low houred pilots, you have a chance but it's likely you've missed it.

The UK CAA places restrictions on the % of low houred guys to experienced guys. Therefore, you need to have your CV in place.

How will you know an airline will hire soon?

Scour Flight International jobs section. Clues to look for are jobs for sim instructors and or engineers. That usually means the airline is expanding.

Good luck. :)

AerAndretti
26th Aug 2009, 14:43
I have just applied with JetBird - understand they are hiring 80 pilots next year.

irishone
27th Aug 2009, 08:54
The new min requirement for JetBird is 280TT of which 100 must be ME Jet time. Unfornately most low hour pilots dont have Jet time! :(
I think it will be a good outfit when it gets going though, the first set of interviews were last April and next set are coming up this winter.

lorenzo77
29th Aug 2009, 15:36
Thanks everyone for the useful replies! A few updates-

1) Yes I saw the jetbird job, unfortunately I do not have 100h jet though :(

2) In the meantime I found ppjn quite useful, basically going through all the factfiles and especially those of smaller operators. I did see a few carriers that accept applications from low-hour pilots, so I think that is the way to go for people in my position. Any other website out there with lists of airlines/requirements?

3) For those interested in africa/safari flying, look up http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/342268-maun-2008-2009-season.html.
I haven't looked yet into the carribean though, any specific tip?

4) Redsnail, my order of preference (from most desirable to least) is europe, the americas/caribbean, middle east, asia, australia, africa. But as said I will take anything, even antarctica!

5) euindkan, I suspect some instructor hiring may be occurring in asia/me. Look up "Pan am air academy" in china, i believe they were recently hiring. Also recently i saw an ad for a FI position in the middle east on aviationjobsearch.com

6) Giggey, may I ask you to elaborate on your self sponsored TR thought? I understand you believe that there is a strong chance of getting a TR, work for a few months, and then get fired with not many hours under your belt? Any thoughts/examples welcome