PDA

View Full Version : Operations into Bagdhad or other Iraqi airports

Panama Jack
15th Aug 2009, 07:27
I would be curious to hear from other pilots, especially of large jet airplanes, who are presently operating into Baghdad or other Iraqi airports on a regular basis.

Do your company's SOPs prescribe any kinds of “non-normal” procedures or precautions for the arrival (such as spiraling descents), during time on ground or departure?

Thanks, in advance, for all responses.

trimotor
15th Aug 2009, 08:03
IIRC, the latest Baghdad NOTAM's - spiral arrivals and departures no longer used.

Flyalldaygethomelate
15th Aug 2009, 13:06
IIRC, the latest Baghdad NOTAM's - spiral arrivals and departures no longer used.
THAT IS TRUE, NO MORE SPIROLS. But in real life, you may have to do it due to different reasons that may come up, Iraq operations is not about doing a spiral or not ( that was actually the fun part of it ).

Flying in Iraq is different than what a normal Jetjockey is use to, YOU ARE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE.

There are so many possible situations that you are going to face, to many variables, so NO COMPANY can cover them all in a SOP.

Some good advise to you and your colleaues:

Be vigilant!!! below 10,000' is when the game begins:
1; Don't get LOW & SLOW to far from the airport
2; Forget about standard ATC, be ready to improvise
3; Know your A/C's limits and your own as well

FYI, I have been reading on PPRUNE in many years, but this is my FIRST POST ever, I believe this site should be used for improvement of situations in our working environment and NOT for nagging about them.

Soon or later all the airlines in the region will start operations to Iraq, that is a FACT, but I suggest that your management should ask all the crew about it, and the ones who are willing to operate the route should be rewarded, after all Iraq is not a normal destination YET.

Beeing prepared is the best way to face new challenges, your company should make sure that the crew is well briefed, in that order they MUST take measures to get enough knowledge about Iraq operation before they
start the operation.

I hope this has been some help for you all.
Best wishes, Fly Safe.

haunted dog
17th Aug 2009, 01:07
Hello Panama Jack,

Google ramcc.dtic.mil! and you will find a lot of informations in the Iraq Aip. I am PRESENTLY operating flights to the Iraq... but I am said to say: “only with an A320” - this is not a large jet, isn´t it?
I am not sure why you are so interested about operational issues - but I would be delighted to give you first hand informations about the 3 destinations I know: Erbil (Arbil), Sylemania and of course - Bagdad.
Finally to answer your questions: No and No

Hello: Fly all day get home late
operating flights to the Iraq means for me: fly all night and get home early!

Sorry, but I was LOL when you mentioned Kansas – I know a pilot (yes I really do) - his Cessna was shot while flying on a cross country ppl flight in the USA. He said: maybe the farmer don´t like all the planes flying over his PROPERTY .
Flyalldaygethomelate, you are totally right when you mentioned one of the big big problems in the Iraq: weapons for everyone(no low level flying)
You said:
1; Don't get LOW & SLOW to far from the airport - correct! But you will arrive at Erbil airport anyway in 38000 ft overhead, so my advise is: do not leave the 25NM MSA in descent because the Airbus is calculating a holding which you would not believe!!(40 NM away from the MSA reference point)!
2.Forget about standard ATC, be ready to improvise – correct! ...IFR is cancelled bla bla bla contact tower bla bla bla … ohhh radar is out of service … go down 3350 feet ??? or you like to descent in a holding with no two way communications established, while another aircraft is climbing in the same holding and trys to leave the airport.

3. Know your A/C's limits and your own as well – confirmed (see above)

US soldiers and the English are preparing to leave the Iraq. This means ATC, WX reports etc. will get worse in the near future (before improving again of course). - So my final question to the experienced: Is Your life Insurance covering an incident or accident while on duty in Iraq? My life Insurance broker actually does not know!!!

Cheers to you both
P.S.
Flyall... keep on posting:ok:

brassplate
17th Aug 2009, 01:34
ha. finally, some guys who operate there and actually KNOW what is going on.
basically, in agreement with most of our curiosity and anxiety.

I believe this site should be used for improvement of situations in our working environment and NOT for nagging about them.

i am all for improvement of the situation. gf had fallen short of that by...a long shot. soon to operate there and only hear of theoretical assessments.

take note, gf safety audit team, since all your assessments are NOT first hand.

...to many variables, so NO COMPANY can cover them all in a SOP.

gf will be no different.

paperdragon
17th Aug 2009, 11:23
A few other good things to practice;
Not all traffic talking to ATC have pilots aboard...
Speed at low level makes You a harder target to hit...
Lights off leaving cruise, on again @ about AGL 100, off at lift off on @ cruise...
Use TCAS to forsee upcoming events, take action well ahead...
Flying in Iraq is not for the faint hearted, low level RA´s are quite common...

Cheers:}