PDA

View Full Version : Hadj and L-1011's

dc10driver
15th Aug 2009, 07:21
Afternoon gents
Anybody know if any Tristars will be operating on the hadj this year? I haven't seen one advert for crews this year.....
Cheers

metro301
15th Aug 2009, 10:29
I didn't see any L1011's last year during Hajj. I don't have a source or a link, but I remember hearing that the Saudi's won't let in airframes over a certain age in for Hajj. I think the limit was at or around 20/25 years old.

I did see lots of 747 classics last year, so maybe I am wrong.

munster
17th Aug 2009, 05:01
there was one there last year.

millerscourt
17th Aug 2009, 07:09
411A will no doubt be there:=

SOPS
17th Aug 2009, 08:28
any second now I am sure he will be popping up sharing his wisdom with us all.........................:confused:

411A
17th Aug 2009, 09:38
Two airlines last year, three (possibly four) this year, operating the Haj with the L1011 equipment.
Beyond the Haj, one L10 operator is planning ad-hoc and track program charters to Central America and South Africa.
Other programs in the works, also.

40&80
17th Aug 2009, 12:23
The good thing about 411A is he gives excellent advice and importantly he is prepared to share his information...many older pilots do not and will not share and let younger guys find out the hard way.
What he says is IMHO and experiance, just happens to be the truth.
Younger pilots may not like the way he says it... but nevertheless 411A tells it like it is...younger pilots do not have to pay attention.
Similarly the above applies to Millerscourt who also tells it like it is.
IMHO these two gentlemen make reading pprune worthwhile.

BusyB
17th Aug 2009, 16:48
40&80,

Unfortunately we get contributions on subjects about which they know almost nothing. No objections to guys passing on facts they know.

This is a "Rumour" network and if you believe everything you are told you'll be in deep sh*t.:ok:

Asianlonghaul
19th Aug 2009, 02:21
A couple of L1011s are usualy kept at OMRK
Ras Al Khaimah International Airport

OMRK Ras Al Khaimah International Airport Current Weather Conditions and Forecasts (http://www.checkwx.com/wxmain/code/OMRK)
Your can zoom the sat photo and see them there! Don't know if there are still there.

IFLy4Free
19th Aug 2009, 03:01
I was at RAK not too long ago. Those L10's belong to Sky Gate of Amman...they are very sad and in need of maintenance!

GlueBall
19th Aug 2009, 03:19
". . . the Saudi's won't let in airframes over a certain age in for Hajj. I think the limit was at or around 20/25 years old."

Notwithstanding some of the 1982 era TriStars seen at the Hadj terminal, SV has been seen operating some very old HZ registered pax galleons, aka 747-100s and -200s :rolleyes:

411A
19th Aug 2009, 04:19
SV has been seen operating some very old HZ registered pax galleons, aka 747-100s and -200s
'
Indeed they have, first one dellivered June 1981, as I recall.
Prior to that, they wet leased two 747's from MEA.

Those L10's belong to Sky Gate of Amman...
Not anymore they don't.

metro301
19th Aug 2009, 09:52
Glueball,

I said the same thing in the next sentence:

"I did see lots of 747 classics last year, so maybe I am wrong."

Here is what I had read, it doesn't totally apply, It just means inspections for aircraft over 20 years of age.

"4.a.2 All aircraft older than 20 years prior to its flight permit application date, considered an aging aircraft.... GACA shall physically inspect these aircraft."

www.gaca.gov.sa/GACA/Attachments/005/A208/6/hajj_circular.pdf

AirAlgerie
1st Sep 2009, 04:08
good evening all
Just to contribute to this subject
the saudis will only allow Aircraft with YOM 1991 and beyond , in other words , they will not deliver an FOC for the hajj operation , this applies for the 747-3 and 400's
im not sure about others.
does anyone have experience with ACMI leases ? lessees? or lessors?

411A
1st Sep 2009, 04:47
the saudis will only allow Aircraft with YOM 1991 and beyond

All very interesting, however completely wrong.
I am just now looking at an approval for a year 1983 manufactured airplane, signed and sealed.

does anyone have experience with ACMI leases ? lessees? or lessors?

Yes.

AirAlgerie
1st Sep 2009, 06:06
what type of AC is it if you do not mind me asking ? and for which hadj season was it approved?is it this upcoming one?
most of the requests for ACMI we get emphasize on the Year of manifacture "1991" and Younger
like i said perhaps it is just for 744 and 743's

411A
1st Sep 2009, 06:22
what type of AC is it if you do not mind me asking ? and for which hadj season was it approved?is it this upcoming one?
most of the requests for ACMI we get emphasize on the Year of manifacture "1991" and Younger

Type, L1011.
This upcoming Haj season....2009.

Gambia-track
4th Sep 2009, 10:58
There is no set rule for aircraft age and Hajj operations. While the current Hajj rules specify aircraft age, they are not an all inclusive rule. Depending on the operator, previous use as a hajj aircraft, and who you know, these rules can be waived on a yearly basis if deemed prudent by the hajj authorities. With the problems getting the pilgrims there each year, rest assured that older aircraft will continue to fly and if you jump through the right hoops and know the right people, you can get one approved fairly easily.

See ya!

Earl
4th Sep 2009, 22:58
The Saudis have been saying this age requirement for many years, but some how all the older aircraft still operate the haj. Just as previous years, this year and most likely 10 years from now.
Nothing changes there, moving the pax is more important than old aircraft.
Been there done that for many years as most here have.
Willing to bet even a few 707 will be at the haj terminal this year as every year along with the Tristars and the older 747/100.
Think Saudia even still operates some of these 747/100's.
seen 2 of them being chopped up last year but they operate a few more.
Was told Saudia was upgrading the 100's with FMS, doubt they will be getting rid of them.

Desert Diner
5th Sep 2009, 03:11
It is only a preference for younger AC. They will still consider whatever is available.

Earl
9th Sep 2009, 21:00
Problem is Bill there is not a initial ground school available also.
Two years ago some instructors were thinking of starting one in BKK, maybe buying the old Saudia simulator in JED.
Was quite a few qualified people trying to get this done.
RM and GS to be exact all good people.
Probably would have attracted quite a few crews.
But when Skyeyes turned out to be a bust everyone kind of went to more reliable jobs.
This was back 2 years ago when Sonny of Skyeyes BKK was promising the world, delivering nothing, short changing his crews etc!
I know I gave Skyeyes 10 days to pay me correctly or I was gone, they didn't and I left, as with the rest soon after.
They had a RVSM test flight a few days later and tried to recall ones they had cheated in the past also, that did not work out well either.
Just as his spinoff Zoom/RAK Tristar operation with Sabir was shut down recently in the UAE also.
I can remember 2 years ago sitting in a meeting with Sonny, Sabir and the Chief pilot, saying what needed to be done to operate correctly.
Sonny and Sabir just blew it off, well look what happened!
Could have been a good deal for all, but somehow some of these operators think they can cheat the system and still operate.
Well guess what goes around comes back around.
Crews can only cover up a limited amount of ShXt, before long the smell comes to everyone's attention!
In this case the UAE, wont say that I told you so!!!!

cs-snb
30th Sep 2009, 19:04
Hi!
Luzair donīt operate more the L1011...
Now they have a B763!

Best regards