PDA

View Full Version : Where to fly? US or EU

sputnik-monkeyman
14th Aug 2009, 18:32
I have been trying to decide if I should get a FAA approved CPL or not. Taking into consideration that JAA has just been turned upside down do you believe it would be a wiser choice to get an FAA approved licence as apposed to an EASA approved licence (I think thats what it is called now anyway :P).

Also if anyone has experienced both flying in US and EU as a commercial pilot could you please highlight the good points and bad points for both and whether or not flying in US has better career options than EU.

So basically, FAA or (What used to be) JAA

Aerouk
14th Aug 2009, 19:12
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/385162-profession-usa-europe.html answers your question on US career prospects.

Aerlingus121heavy
25th Aug 2009, 23:15
Hi mate,

Well, depends on wheather you will want to work in the US? I mean, if your planning on living and working in the US, then i would recommend a combined FAA and JAA licence. Now im just a wannabe, but i have been looking at a few schools in the US, and hope to enrole around march of next year. Now the school i am looking at is the european flight training in florida (google it:ok:). It offers a JAA ATPL, also, i am going to look into possible applying for a COMBINED licence. The good thing about this school is that they offer you a chance to become an instructer after you complete your course.

GOOD POINTS OF THE USA?

- Alot cheaper when compared to Oxford and offer the same standard of ground school through bristol.
-Great weather for flying.

I hope i made some sence in this little rant:E

atpcliff
30th Aug 2009, 22:38
Hi!

How have things changed for JAA???

cliff
NBO

wwelvaert
22nd Sep 2009, 03:11
Depends on where you want to live/work. Can you legally work in the US? Even if you get FAA licenses, that doesn't affect US immigration status.

Good luck.