PDA

View Full Version : GA flying to, and in China

nandscol
13th Aug 2009, 23:30
I am looking to talk with anyone who has had experience of GA flying in China, especially if any near kunming or Chengdu. Has any flown at the China Flight school at Chengdu? What facilities are available?
Thanks
Neil

Brian304
15th Aug 2009, 02:46
I doubt that you will get much flying done in the short time in china. The airspace is all controlled by the military. The best school in china is the Airline University "CAFUC" in sichuan province, the course is 4 years and costs around 600000RMB. Or if you are a chinese citizen you can look at a private school who will sponsor you partly and send you to fly in the end for there companies.

Goodluck!!!

nandscol
15th Aug 2009, 18:03
I only need an IFR clearance from Calcutta (probably), via Kunming to Chengdu. (preferably to the airfield where the CAFUC is based). Then out and back to Bangda, then on to Singapore. So its not just to fly around we would do in the USA or elsewhere, but a specific flight.

Brian304
15th Aug 2009, 19:25
so your already qualified i'm guessing and not wanting to be a cadet?. If its only a flight with a GA aircraft such as a cessna 152, then goodluck with the planning, even with an IFR rating, its going to take alot of planning and clearence from the military, even flight schools here go to U.S. for flight training because of the military flying. GA flying is last in priority, you cannot take off until all the military and experiment aircraft have finished all there flying and not within the area. The last GA flight from the UK and travelling and china, took 9 years planning. But goodluck with it anyway, hope everything goes well.

Brian304:ok:

mingalababya
16th Aug 2009, 14:27
I only need an IFR clearance from Calcutta (probably), via Kunming to Chengdu. (preferably to the airfield where the CAFUC is based). Then out and back to Bangda, then on to Singapore. So its not just to fly around we would do in the USA or elsewhere, but a specific flight.

If you're coming from India, I think you'd have better luck transiting through Myanmar (Burma) than China. GA flights through Burma have been done before (http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkgaburma.html), (check out the Thai Flying Club website for details).

As I've mentioned to you in my PM, GA in China is still a very new concept. Give it another 200 years and we may see something along the lines of what we get in Australia and the US.

itsbrokenagain
17th Aug 2009, 01:23
One of your biggest problems is going to be Avgas if you are flying avgas. I am based in Kolkata and I dont think they have avgas here, unless of course your in a Jet fuel powered GA plane... why dont you let us know what you are planning to fly in and we might be able to help some more....

For myanmar here is a man who will get your overlflight clearance for $25 Nay Tun Thoung Wonderful Golden Land Travels & Tours [email protected] .

Thailand we use Anadaman Andaman Aviation Services
SITA: BKKAAUV AFTN: VTBDUVAA
Mob.: +66-81-8341943 (Pawel), +66-81-8350080 (On Duty)
email: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Although you technically can apply for both these permits on your own via the respective websites.

China we have a office in Kunming we fly to (although I personally havent done the trip yet) but we use Universal for the clearances, which are really really expensive, on the ground we use Air China to get our clearances and fuel. But if anyone knows a handler who can get the Chinese clearances post it here or pm me, would rather go direct to a person in China and cut out the expensive middle man. Also remember China Crew Visa will probably be needed, and it takes time to get!

Are you based in Kolkata (there are only 4 GA planes here that I know of), or you flying in from some where else? If you need a hand on the ground in Kolkata if you arent based here PM me.

nandscol
17th Aug 2009, 19:22
We are not planning on simply passing through China and I know that avgas & (if can get it) oxygen, and clearances are going to be a problem. That is why we are planning now, for a flight in August 2010.

I know that the China Flight school in Chengdu has plenty of Cessna 172's etc, so avgas is there - it's just going to be a question of being able to purchase it.
One problem is that the CAFUC is not at the main Chengdu airport, and that not only is it not in the Jepp database, but that the airfield where CAFUC is is not in the Jepp database at all.

Our aircraft is a Vans RV10 -4 seat, but with 2 seats removed for ferry tanks. Cruise alt between 8000 & 17000 ft. Speed 160 knots TAS.

We definitely could do with someone to obtain our flight clearances if at all possible. Our route will be Kolkata (stopping there for fuel & toilet break only, so no customs entry into India), overhead Kunming to Chengdu. Overnight in Chengdu. Then, weather permitting, to Banga and back, with just, say, 30 mins on the ground at Bangda to prove we have been there.
Next day, out of China to Singapore (Seletar).

If there is no avgas in Kolkata, then maybe we will go to Patna, which I have heard is more friendly to transiting aircraft.