PDA

View Full Version : A view from Cape Town Airport for a few hours?

nivsy
13th Aug 2009, 20:31
Shall be in Cape Town Airport for around 4 hours awaiting a connection. Does anyone know if there is there a nice area or roof terrace overlooking the airfield/ ramp where we can have a beer or a bite to eat without breaking the bank?

Thanks.

Nivsy

PAXboy
14th Aug 2009, 01:59
Locals will be along shortly to answer but, the last time I went through CPT (2 yrs ago) it was a building site for the 2010 football. I am informed by friends that when I go through there again (2 weeks time) that it is ... a building site. :(

If you belong to one of the lounge groups (or are in biz) then you stand a chance. The domestic lounge run by Rennies has been very good on the last three visits and does look directly over the apron (unless construction has got in the way!). Called 'The Premier Lounge, you can pay per visit. They are also at other ZA airports.

Capetonian
14th Aug 2009, 07:48
Best advice I can give you is go to Stellenbosch or Somerset West for lunch, mountain views are stunning, You won't have a lot of time but it's doable. There's a winery called Vergelegen near Somerset West where we finished lunch once as our flight was spooling up ... almost! Or go to the Lord Charles which BA and some others use for their night stops.

You might be able to get a taxi driver to give you the round trip for a few hundred rand, but be careful of the taxi touts in arrivals unless you're prepared for a fight at some point, and be careful with your luggage during your transit.

The airport is still a building site, it's horrendous. I try to avoid eating there but I'm pretty sure there's nowhere decent and nowhere with much of a view.

I'm not in CPT now or I'd happily come out and look after you for a couple of hours, but maybe someone who's there will do so.

nivsy
14th Aug 2009, 13:11
Thanks for the advice and updates.....

Nivsy

JEM60
15th Aug 2009, 12:08
The City Grill on the V and A waterfront does the best steaks in the world, plus crocodile, impala, kudu etc., Great views of Table Mountain. My favourite city by far, so far.

flying phil 2007
15th Aug 2009, 19:41
Not been there for a while, but you could check out ThunderCity. Home of the last flying Lightnings & Buccaneers. I got a guided tour... but that was quite a few years ago,

Welcome to Thunder City (http://www.thundercity.com/)