PDA

View Full Version : Tripoli & Afriqiyah

Giggey
13th Aug 2009, 16:56
Hi all.
Any hint on how's living in Libia, precisely inTripoli and how's the life in the above listed airline?

Any info is HIGLY appreciated

regards

LH2
13th Aug 2009, 22:52
Don't know about the airline itself. I spent a bit over two years in Libya, all over the country with only short stays in Tripoli, and I enjoyed it immensely. It's quieter and perhaps a bit more... how should I say... civilised is not quite the right word... than the other countries in North Africa, although when I was there it was just after the embargo which obviously left a deep mark in the country's infrastructure and development level (still not ATMs in my time for example), but it was nice anyway.

They have quite a close and surprisingly warm (given its history) relation with Italy so that probably plays to your advantage as well.

There is one of the mods here who if I'm not mistaken works for the airline in TIP. I'm sure he can fill you in on more specific and up to date details. Good luck.

zerograv
14th Aug 2009, 00:35
Living in Tripoli

Cost of living is low (assuming that you'll get accomodation from the company).
People, in general, are friendly ..... except for Immigration at the airport who like to complicate things and leave waiting for ever before they allow you in.
Regarding Tripoli/Libya, you have to realise that this is a country that "stopped in time" for 2 or 3 decades due to embargo. There is quite some construction going on but there are areas in need of renovation. I think that things are evolving in the right direction.
Not much to do in your spare time but can always go to the beach and visit Sabratha and Leptis Magna (cities from the Roman times, which I did not visit during the ocasions I was there :()

Generally, I enjoyed my experience in Libya and would go back anytime.

Safe flights,
Zero