PDA

View Full Version : Going to OBA in october...

ric_gra
13th Aug 2009, 15:01
Hi guys, has anyone been recently to ormond beach? Im going to do the jaa ppl in october over there. I already been thru the "Guide to obtaining JAA PPL in the US", but does anyone have important tips about Ormond Beach Aviation and their instructors?

VP8
13th Aug 2009, 15:35
Do a search for OBA on here all answers there:ok:

I went 12 years ago and had no probs:}

VEEPS

BigGrecian
13th Aug 2009, 17:39
Find yourself a good school back home - the standard of training at OBA is rubbish.
The staff even admit this themselves!

Also make sure you've got a healthy bank account balance.

pumuckl
13th Aug 2009, 18:30
I went in 2006 and loved it. Would do it again at OBA. Keep your head down and if you can, do your ground exams before you go so you can concentrate on and enjoy the flying; that's what I did anyway. My instructor was great and definitely knew his stuff. You'll have a great time.

Cheers
p.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Aug 2009, 08:47
I went there 14 years ago, and had a great time. Good advive from pumuckl.

Enjoy it.

Fishstick
14th Aug 2009, 09:33
I went there last year and I'd say there's a 50/50 chance you'll end up with some unneccary drama. At least from my experiance. After trying to get back my money for 4-5 months of calling/emailing and being shouted at by the owner over the phone, accussing me for "harrasing them". I ended up having to hire a lawyer to get the money back (I was planning on coming back, but decided not to).

The instructors are great though! Managment? Not so much! There was also 2 accidents during my stay. One engine failure midflight, and one just after take off (landed in the golf course right next to the runway and ended up in the trees). Thank god noone got seriously hurt!

So my advice would be to think twice, but like I said some people get out of there with no problems at all, while others, such as myself, aren't as lucky!

dsanjuan
15th Aug 2009, 01:42
im here now actually, its fine, you work at your own pace, so you get out what u put in and the staff are more than happy to help. one guy has been unlucky with weather etc and 2 or 3 staff stayed til midnight so he could take his last few exams and get his NQ.
Im very happy, if anything goes wrong in the next week or so i'll let u know.

commpilot76
15th Aug 2009, 22:08
dsanjuan,

How long have you been there. I too have been looking to doing flight training in the US and was trying to decide weather or not to go to OBA or EFT. Have you gotten any flying done since you have been there? what made you choose OBA as apposed to EFT.

cheers

SomethingFishy
16th Aug 2009, 00:16
All hail the Fisher King, Head of Training, owner, examiner!

He's back!!

No doubt on his best behavior at the moment, but a little search on these forums should provide hours of entertainment.

...........Enjoy.

hughesyd
20th Aug 2009, 12:07
Anyone Know What The Latest Is On Oba??. Rumours Are That Stephen Fisher Is The Owner Now And Adrian Thompson Has Headed Back To The Uk, Any Truth In This ??.

hughesyd
20th Aug 2009, 12:18
cant access the webpage either, possibly just a glitch , server down or something more perminant??

pilotbear
20th Aug 2009, 18:39
hope you are not going to try and get a job with OBA on your CV:eek: This is the worst flight training organisation in the world except for EFT. Keep a regular check on your account:ok:

suraci
20th Aug 2009, 18:44
Under EASA lots of changes

http://sunbiz.org/pdf/57354956.pdf for name change

EURO AMERICAN SCHOOL OF AVIATION LIMITED, company number 06129785, credit report, annual accounts and free company monitoring (http://www.ukdata.com/numbers/06129785.html) for English end?

See where www.flyeasa.com (http://www.flyeasa.com) takes you

Try a Google on Fishe holiday

BigGrecian
20th Aug 2009, 19:14
Not pushing PTC today then Pilotbear? Since you seem to have some very close connection to them ;) yet seem to have no direct experience of OBA or EFT at all.

For the record I did my PPL at Ormond years ago.

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Aug 2009, 19:32
Don't go?

hughesyd
20th Aug 2009, 19:33
would 2nd that big grecian!!

unusual activity happening at OBA then!, looks like an expansion or possibly a link up with a UK flight school??. Prob more like a move by AT towards a gradual retirement plan. Intrigued to see the involment of Stephen Fisher though considering his track record..............AT isnt stupid and im sure he has something up his sleeve......all will become clear in time i suppose. Maybe he will pop up running some UK flight school in conjunction with OBA.....

Wee Weasley Welshman
21st Aug 2009, 18:47
Shipshape 79 charlie - I removed your post. I can put it back here but OBA are litigious. If you don't mind your ID being given to their lawyers if they sue then that's fine. If you are correct in your comments then you have the perfectly good defense of writing the truth in which case you cannot be sued.

I've removed it for now in order to protect you.

ric_gra
21st Aug 2009, 20:27
The OBA related posts go from one extreme to the other, some people loved the experience and for others... was like a south american telenovela!.