PDA

View Full Version : Airbus A320 OP CLB

ennerishaw
12th Aug 2009, 10:35
This is a question about the OP CLB and MCT functions of the A320. I understand these are selected mode, right?
Scenario:
I have setup the FMGS for departure and then climbing away. If I engage AP1 I presume I go into Managed mode, right?
What do I need to do in oder to get into OP CLB mode and MCT mode?
I am confused between the use of Selected Mode and Managed mode. How to use them and when to use them.
Maybe I am not making any sense but would appreciate any infos/help
Best regards

:confused:

Akrapovic
12th Aug 2009, 13:29
Not sure this is the right forum so prepare to be moved, however:

Managed is basically flying what's in the box (Nav to waypoints, Cruise/Descent speeds determined by the FMGC etc)
Selected is 'selected/chosen' by the pilot. (Headings, Speeds etc)

To get open climb, simply pull the altitude knob will drop it out of CLB mode to give you OP CLB (with climb power - not MCT) - if you want MCT you have to select it via the thrust lever gate.

There's plenty more to it than just that - I'm sure someone else will go into more detail but I've been up since 0430 (!) - ah the glamour :bored:

ennerishaw
12th Aug 2009, 13:55
:ok: Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the time you too k to reply.
Best regards

ElitePilot
13th Aug 2009, 00:28
There are 2 modes to climb, OP CLIMB and CLB (well 3 if you include VS+xxxx).
Only difference between the 2 is CLB will meet any altitude constraints and OP CLIMB will climb straight to the selected altitude. If in CLB and ATC says unrestricted climb you would pull OP CLIMB and ignore the Alt Const.

However if you're off the lateral nav route (off the FMGS flightplan ie in HDG no NAV) CLB is unavailable so you can only use OP CLIMB (VS+xxxx).

Generally managed modes are used. Short term changes made (Selected speed/heading/alt) on the FCU are used for shorterm adjustments (eg ATC/weather).

EISN
14th Aug 2009, 01:06
...and not forgetting our friend GS and FPA...... :8

chock2chock
14th Aug 2009, 03:08
ennerishaw, by the nature of your question Im somehow inclined to think that yours is a an MS Flight Flight Simulator question.... sorry, i couldnt think of any other reason why you would ask here, the diference between SEL mode and MANAGED mode (correct me if im wrong, ...I think thats what theyre called) OP CLMB/DES mode etc.

So, from the point of view of a seasoned virtual captain on Wilcopubs great (but buggy) A320 product:}
Open Climb/Descent is any climb or descent in Managed Mode (FMGC calculated) that is dictated by virtue of pitch, speed and fuel economy as the primary factor that the AP is maintaining a descent profile/path by adjusting pitch and managing the speed, while the thrust remains at idle(in descent of course), so its not a descent that is in any other selected mode i.e V/S, CLB SPD APP mode etc. as someone else stated above,. in a perfect world, (as it often is on FS you would climb and and descend to altitude leisurely using open climb. If someone else could correct me or add to this ill appreciate it

ElitePilot
15th Aug 2009, 05:09
Ha ha good point you can use FPA for descent too.
Open descent will keep thrust idle and adjust v/s to keep speed be it selected/managed.
DES (managed) will increase/decrease power as necessary to keep on profile and maintain managed speed/meet constraints etc. Speeds will be a band around the managed speed and is a factor of cost index/constraints (ie if high on profile it will use idle power and top band of speed to get an increased descent rate. If low it will use lower speed band and add power).

Akrapovic
15th Aug 2009, 09:52
In the climb, as there's no 'profile' like there is for the descent, Managed Climb or Open Climb do the same thing. . . .(unless using a selected speed!)

Wee Weasley Welshman
15th Aug 2009, 11:01
This isn't the place for this. I'm not moving it either. You must learnt to post in the correct forums..