PDA

View Full Version : Private Type Rating

trienebiene
12th Aug 2009, 08:43
Hey,
I searched this forum but all posts are quite old. So please let me know what you think about self sponsored Typre Rating (in Germany if possible)in this times. Would you recommend or do you rather say I should wait until the times will get better and hope for an airline to pay my Type Rating?

Please let me know if it is custom in other countries to do the Type Rating self financed? Cause in Germany I think it is (in most instances) so that the airline will pay for the Type Rating.
What about BOND-contracts? What you think of that?

I would be glad to get some infos!

Thanks a lot in advance,
triene

adverse-bump
12th Aug 2009, 21:22
i have a school in the uk

15000 pound for a 737 TR, base training is an extra 4500.

I can also provide line training at cost

I use the most up to date mircosoft flight sim, and have all the extra VFR scenery add ons.

for health and safety, you must provide your own joystick

let me know if your interested, I think you will be bcoz if your stupid enough to buy a TR, your stupid enough to fall for anything

dr boeing
12th Aug 2009, 21:35
Hi,
Lots of bad press about paying for your own type rating.
In a nutshell, I paid for one in 2002, Best thing i ever did. you have a choice, one to sit and listen to people say your mad and you should not. or two, do it. I did the latter and got a lot of people telling me i was mad. I now have a very good career with the 737 and airbus on my licence and doing the job i love. All because i chose NOT to listen to the many negative people, and to do what i believed was the right thing for me and my career.
Go for it and good luck to you.

artlite
12th Aug 2009, 23:00
Dude is right. Just do what intuition tells you to do. I was an inch from getting a 737 classic type rating in lone eagle aviation (only $6k!), but eventually run out of money. To me it all boils down to money. If you can afford it AND afford still not having a job for whatever it takes (worst-case scenario) - do it. If to pay it back you'd have to find a job by let's say October 1st - don't. Easy as that! Little encouragement - my friend Michal from Poland finished the school I finished (Prairie Air School in Wichita, KS) just a year ago and is currently flying for Vietnam Airlines reason being A320 self-sponsored TR! He really had only 200+ hours! The only way to find out if you were right is to look back on it in 5 years from now. Although keep in mind type ratings are valid only for a year and then you do recurrent training. which also costs. Gather as much information as you can so you don't get disappointed somewhere.

IrishJetdriver
13th Aug 2009, 00:03
If you decide to do a TR you must be able to afford not to get a job. Possibly ever. At 27 with no experience is probably no big deal but 30+ might be and that could be how long you have to wait for a job.

My advice is to save your money for now. Wait for better times unless you do a TR with a guaranteed job (i.e Ryanair). A TR with no hours is not worth a great deal and the lack of hours will make each renewal an expensive experience. Plenty of very current pilots mess the annual revalidation up.....and they're not paying for it!

However, think carefully and good luck.

dr boeing
13th Aug 2009, 15:23
Very good points, although i was over 30 when i did my rating, luck does play into things.
The industry is changing, and not how it used to be, and unlikley to be like it again. and as the gentleman says quite rightly, lots of rated people on the market just now. Saving and waiting is verysensible just now.
Best of luck to you.

INNflight
13th Aug 2009, 15:48
Cause in Germany I think it is (in most instances) so that the airline will pay for the Type Rating.

Excuse me for the CAPS!

IF MOST AIRLINES PAY FOR YOUR TRs ANYWAYS, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO BUY ONE???????????????

:ugh:

trienebiene
14th Aug 2009, 07:37
First of all thanks a lot for your motivation answers. Itīs a quite hard decision. Of yourse I know that it is a bit risky to do a selffinanced Type Rating but i am glad to get your answers. I will first try to find an airline which is looking for pilots with type rating and if they will give me an job opportunity i will do the type rating. there is the Intercockpit (Lufthansa) which offers reasonable prices at the moment and they also cooperate with a bank so you can finance your TR. I think that is the best idea.
BTW: Anyone who knows Cockpit4u? They are in berlin and I would like to know if anybody has any experience with them.

For me Intercockpit would be best cause I live near Frankfurt and so have no travel expenses and no hotel costs. But maybe if can stay at my friends house i would consider Cockpit4u cause they are really cheap. So please if anyone has experience let me know.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,

trienebiene

Jesper
14th Aug 2009, 08:29
Posting a question like this on pprune is like asking for cancer... Too much haters around here.
More and more airliners are moving towards self-sponsored TR's these days. If you have a job after your TR then it's nothing to even think about. I payed my own TR and I didn't do it the cheapest way to say the least. But in less then two years I had payed of the loan I took. It's by far my best choice I'we ever made. Of course I was very worried by the time I took the loan, it's always a bit of a risk taking, but everyone that I know that has payed their own TR is very happy for it.
I wish u the best of luck!

BigGrecian
14th Aug 2009, 12:45
IF MOST AIRLINES PAY FOR YOUR TRs ANYWAYS, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO BUY ONE???????????????

Because they're not good enough to be hired.

Pilots self selecting themselves for jobs - another reason the standard of the average pilot is in rapid decline.

Out of 4 guys I know who self-sponsored, one got a job - but had to pay for his TR on a different type - ouch. Others still waiting two years later, one went to interview and they had no further interest once they found out he had self-sponsored.

dr boeing
14th Aug 2009, 18:20
Jesper. I agree totally.

burl
14th Aug 2009, 19:09
BigGrecian

Thats a bit harsh, the reason most ppl are paying for type ratings has got nothing to do with there ability, it has to do with ppl wanting a quick fix after completing there training. Im sure if i had not have been to standard there would have been 100 more guys to take my place, so your sighting is misguided my friend. :=

C130Dreamer
16th Aug 2009, 17:57
Here's something for you Bulldogs to chew on, and I'd be very interested to hear what you all think.

I'm in my mid forties, I fly left seat on two crew ops in a small twin turboprop. I have about 2300hrs and I'm just about to loose my job. At this point I should tell you that I'm not being sacked, made redundant or leaving through choice. I'm in a unique situation, with a certain set of circumstances that require me to leave my current position. Obviously, in this current economic climate and with so many unemployed pilots around, I know that at my age and with my experience, this could spell the end of any real advancement in my short career. A career I started late in life through a passion to fly. Now, I'm not wealthy in today's terms, but I could afford to finance one of these type rating with line experience. Will I be chastised on this forum for doing this, probably! Would I care what everybody thinks about me, no! No because the reason I will do this is for me. I want to experience what it's like to fly a big jet (of my choice) on the line before I'm too old, or worse still loose my medical. I also need to do something to make up for my age, so if needs be I'll pay to improve my chances of employment in the future!

My views on younger pilots paying for a type rating are a little different. I think if you're still in your 20's but struggling to get an interview, sit tight. Personally I've always been a strong subscriber of getting an FI rating. It's a great way to meet people, network, and gain valuable flight time and experience. It also demonstrates to any future employer that you are worth looking at; after all, instructing is two crew ops! So my advice to the younger viewers is to go and pay for an FI rating rather than a type rating - you'll always be able to fly with an FI rating!

As for those of you who say that pilots who self fund a type rating are bad pilots, I'm going to take you up on this issue. In my current position I've flown in some of the harshest weather Mother Nature could think up. I'm not saying I'm some sort of sky god or anything, but I'm safe and I'm capable of making a sensible decision in the air and on the ground - fact! So why do you think I'm going to loose all this experience, just because I'm going to self fund a type rating?

In summary, anybody should be free to do what ever they feel is right (within the law of course!) to get where they want to be in life, and whichever avenue you guys choose to go down, just fly safe eh!

Good luck, I know I'll need it!

:}

trienebiene
17th Aug 2009, 07:32
Oh thats a so interesting topic...first of all again, that for your answer and for discussion about that topic.
To me its quite important to hear different opinions cause I am so "new" in this business as I just finisehd my education and so statements from experienced pilots are really useful for me.

Its a real hard decision and my parents begin to say that all I have done was wrong (paying for the ATPL) and now not getting a job and on top paying just 20.000 Euros more for a type rating.

But anyway I will do what I think it is best and I already talked with my bank and they will loan me the money. Now I just need to find a TRTO.
So again my question: Anyone who can recommend one in GERMANY!!! (if you di not want to post is pls leave me a PM)

Thanks a lot,
Greetings,
triene

B200Drvr
17th Aug 2009, 09:42
This is a difficult decision and is kind of linked to another thread.
A lot of the "low cost" carriers do self funded type ratings, it has become a part of the industry. Not a good part I hasten to add.
IMHO this should really be your last option, as it does decay the airline industry, and when times are good, and the likes of Ryanair or Easyjet need pilots and nobody is willing to pay for their TR, the airlines will type rate you.
However, at the moment it is a fact of life that people are prepared to pay the airlines for a cockpit seat. If you really have to do it cause there is no other way (which there always is) make sure you have a guarantee of a long term position. As very few CP's or DO's will employ you with low TT, a type rating and some line training. If you do not have a job offer, DON'T do it.
C130Dreamer, my advice to you, at your age would be to look at Corporate aviation. Age is often a plus in corporate, and if you are going to spend thousands of dollars/ pounds on a type, a biz jet type would probably be of more benefit. However, do your research, and do the rating as a P1.

trienebiene
31st Aug 2009, 13:48
Dear Collegues,

I decided. I will do the self-paid Type Rating. Press thumbs that I will end in cockpit in some weeks.

Good luck for all others who are doing the same and thanks a lot for all you motivation sentences here in this forum. I am in a really good temper...

:)

Sunny greetings,
trienebiene

Shunter
31st Aug 2009, 16:52
for health and safety, you must provide your own joystickErr, what exactly do you do with your joysticks? Do you also make people provide their own door handles?

INNflight
31st Aug 2009, 17:08
Press thumbs that I will end in cockpit in some weeks.

"Weeks" sounds too long, I hope you make it in at Lufthansa in a few days!!

:suspect: