PDA

View Full Version : The number of commercial pilot's in Australia???

errolflynestone
11th Aug 2009, 23:50
Just wondering if anyone knows how many commercial pilot's there are in Australia??
And how many pilot's are being trained each year?

While we're at it...does anyone know a figure on the number of unemployed pilot's??

VH-XXX
12th Aug 2009, 00:25
Depends on what you mean by "unemployed." I've heard there are many thousands of commercial pilots not working in the industry or flying privately, however this does not make them unemployed as such.

errolflynestone
12th Aug 2009, 00:36
yeah....they could be working in another industry or anywhere, but I mean't unemployed as not working as a pilot

chainsaw
12th Aug 2009, 00:49
Just wondering if anyone knows how many commercial pilot's there are in Australia??

See: Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Annual Report 2007-08 Appendix 3 (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD:571830746:pc=PC_92609)

4,103 current fixed-wing CPLs at last count. Add ATPLs and there were 10,667 professional fixed-wing licences current. What CASA mean by current licences though is anyone's guess. :confused:

And how many pilot's are being trained each year?

Same web address will provide the answer to you.

While we're at it...does anyone know a figure on the number of unemployed pilot's??

No.

GADRIVR
12th Aug 2009, 02:22
I wonder whether errolflynestone is trying to ascertain his/her job prospects.
Perhaps this may help.
It's a tough business aviation for anyone starting out. Count/plan on around 5-7 years work before getting the nod for an airline/top GA position as an average. Add about 18 months for initial training for CPL/MECIR/IR etc.
There'll be periods of unemployment possibly and yet you'll still need to stay current (that equals $) therefore something to fall back on at times will come in handy.
The industry is full of rotten operators and scam artists. How you spot them if you're young...not sure. Making a few friends in the industry who've been around a while should help. (there's loads on this website)
If you're a bit older....if they come across as a used car salesman or real estate agent.....probably a good chance they have similiar ethics. Flying rubbish is not cool!
What it comes down to is this.....if you kick off, and don't stop...you WILL make it. Therefore the figures you're asking for don't really mean much (assuming my presumption at the top is correct)
It's a tough road, and at times can be almost soul destroying compared to banking, finance, government jobs etc. The money generally is not great if you're living in a major city, especially if you're married with kids. An understanding partner is paramount...or tolerant for a time in any case!
Having said that....there's times when you feel quite literally on top of the world...and those moments can sustain a lifetime. It has for me.
Hope that helps:ok:

Captain Dart
12th Aug 2009, 02:45
'The number of commercial pilot's in Australia???'

Errolflynestone,

A word of advice: knowing the appropriate use of apostrophes (i.e. not using them to denote plurals) would make your CV to a prospective employer a little more credible.

Good luck to you.

RV6
12th Aug 2009, 02:54
4,103 current fixed-wing CPLs at last count. Add ATPLs and there were 10,667 professional fixed-wing licences current. What CASA mean by current licences though is anyone's guess.

I think they base it on current medical status. If you hold a CPL but not a Class 1 medical you are probably not counted as a current commercial pilot by CASA.

mdt001
12th Aug 2009, 04:21
The apostrophe is used to denote plurals or ownership.

mic310
12th Aug 2009, 04:43
Something else to consider. These 4000 odd CPL's issued in Australia, even though current, I would say there are a lot of over seas students that will not even use their licence here. When done, back to their home country to convert.

Van Gough
12th Aug 2009, 07:06
Errolflynestone,

A word of advice: knowing the appropriate use of apostrophes (i.e. not using them to denote plurals) would make your CV to a prospective employer a little more credible.

Good luck to you.

My advice would be that an employer that would have a go at someone because of a misplaced apostrophe on a CV would probably not be worth working for. :ok:

bushy
12th Aug 2009, 08:21
Attention to detail is important in aviation. So is accurate verbal and written communication.

GADRIVR
12th Aug 2009, 10:47
Bushy,
You still in Alice?:ok:

By George
12th Aug 2009, 12:36
Another factor that will distort the true picture, is the number of pilots working overseas who keep their Australian licence current and are not actively employed at home.

jaeiou
12th Aug 2009, 12:41
:ugh:mdt001 is wrong. An apostrophe does not indicate a plural (more than one). It is possessive. What has happened to our education system? Why are there countless others out there who believe, like mdt001, that an apostrophe is used in a plural context. We see it misused every day in brochures, on signs and various other places. Sorry, but I am less likely to take seriously, employ or buy from someone who cannot get basic punctuation right. It shows a lack of professionalism and sloppiness. Such things are important to many customers and employers.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
12th Aug 2009, 14:30
The apostrophe is used to denote plurals or ownership. -Nope (by the way if that were so wouldn't is be "plural's and ownership"?)

Apostrophes are for contractions (That'll do donkey; that'll do.) and possession (it may have shiny red paint but Jim's C182 still only does 125 KTAS). Two little items to remember:

They can be used without a following s as well but the missing s is still spoken (it may look cool but Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose never flew out of ground effect) and

Even though they are used to show possession apostrophes are left out of the posessive "its" as in "The DC3 is a sweet ride but its single-engine performance is ****" (do not however forget the apostrophe when used with it in a contraction as in "I say, it's a lovely day for a Cat 3 approach"

Attention to detail is important in aviation. So is accurate verbal and written communication. Hear hear. You don't have to be a grammarian to land a scaryplane but apostrophes are incredibly easy to get right. Just look at this thread about pilot licensing statistics, 5 out of 10 replies mention grammar so a reasonable percentage of pilots do care.

FRQ CB

PS Ignorance is not so bad but once you know better you really ought to try.