PDA

View Full Version : Carcassonne Landing

Sarsabu
11th Aug 2009, 17:08
Having flown from Dublin to Carcassonne a few times the landing tends to be a bit different from others. I might be way off the mark here but it seems the plane is put down as early as possible on the runway in order to take the first exit. This would save a few minutes on the turn-around.

There is no time for a flare and the main undercarriage hits the ground with a large thump which startles the passengers. My question is whether this is good long term for the undercarriage?

Final 3 Greens
11th Aug 2009, 18:50
There is no time for a flare

How do you know this?

Der absolute Hammer
11th Aug 2009, 19:06
Well, possible because the undercarriage hots the ground with a large thump?

Final 3 Greens
11th Aug 2009, 19:10

Do you mean 'hits' the ground or are you considering friction? ;)

Anyway, you know as well as I do that that your statement is non sequitur.

Sarsabu
12th Aug 2009, 01:41
know this because it lands as early as poss on runway - landed there twice in last 2 months and collected passengers from there and while waiting heard people commenting on rough landing - focused me on why this happens

Sarsabu
12th Aug 2009, 01:50
Friction ?

Gerragrip - it is terrifying for some people the way the 738 (boriiiiing) is planted on the runway to (IMHO) to save time - all I am asking is that can the structure of the undercarriage sustain this for a normal life expectancy? It's not rocket science (or is it?!):confused:

Final 3 Greens
12th Aug 2009, 05:47
Sarsabu

I note that the runway at Carcassone is said to be just under 2000m long.

Although I hold only a PPL, from recollecting the comments of 737-800 pilots on prior threads, it is not a generously long runway for this type of aircraft, although it is within limits.

I imagine what you felt was a skilled pilot ensuring that the aircraft landed in the touchdown zone and thus delivered its landing performance (i.e. stopped safely on the runway.)

Under the circumstances, a firm touchdown is a good thing.

The other thing to remember is that the landing feels quite different depending on where you sit. I generally travel in business class on work, and the touchdowns feel a lot softer at the fornt of the cabin, than sitting over the wings or at the back.

The 737-800 also has a stiff landing gear (once again I am repeating what 737-800 pilots have written here before) and this amplifies the feeling of a firm landing.

Finally, airliners are built to accept very firm landings and I believe can be 'flown onto the ground' without a flare, although in practice the flare is maybe 0.5-1 degree just before touchdown and this is quite sublte, as swept winged aircraft will already tend to have a nose up attitude when on very short final.

WIth a bit of luck, a Ryanair pilot may come along and correct any errors in the above or add more details.

Rainboe
12th Aug 2009, 10:21
There is very little give in a 737 main landing gear because of its design. Aeroplanes like the 757 or 747 with wheels in pairs mounted on 'trucks' absorb touchdown loads better.

Besides, smooth landings cost extra in Ryanair. Not enough people paid. No refunds can be made for those who have paid (Of course refunds cannot be denied- they will just take 128 years to process).

Cirrus_Clouds
29th Oct 2009, 14:36
I flew with Ryanair into this airport a few years ago. The approach is great, passing around 800ft over the hills and doing steep turn over the castle into land.

The runway is short and I also experienced a firm touch-down, as you don't really have room to "float" on this runway. The a/c did flare slightly, but you can't really afford to remain airborne for too long. It's best to use the maximum length of runway available in places like this; that's what I'd do anyhow. If you want a smooth landing, go to an airport that has a longer runway.

It was one of the best landings/approaches I've had yet. I believe I heard only Captains can fly this approach.

EGAC_Ramper
29th Oct 2009, 15:15
The approach ia generally a circle to land and con only be done to the north of the field. This in general means FO's are the ones with the good views and can land then there.

Regards

Dick Fisher
1st Nov 2009, 17:48
I'm a regular on this service (6/7 times p.a.) and on my last trip in the middle of October, we actually held at the marker for two long circuits, as a Dublin flight had arrived just a few minutes ahead of us.

The more common approach here to 28 is "interesting" and normally doesn't involve holds. The aircraft approaches runway 10 to the marker, then turns towards the north, and then parallels the runway direction for a minute or so, before doing a descending 180 to line up with the runway.

I must say that I am amazed that such a large aircraft is able to use such a short runway with apparent ease. The landing "seems" to be a bit rushed (say compared to the landing back at EMA - where the aircraft always seems to float). However, I have never felt anything other than extremely comfortable with the experience and skill of the flight deck crew.

Incidentally, there is only one exit from the runway that's usable for the 738, so landing "early" or "late" doesn't make a jot of difference, as the aircraft always has to backtrack, irrespective of which direction it lands.

OFSO
1st Nov 2009, 19:39

A characteristic of the 737 and I think especially of the 737-800.

(Anyone kept a tally of how often this remark has been posted on SLF ? Perhaps it could be automated - the remark, not the landing ! )