PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff GA

scooter boy
10th Aug 2009, 15:27
Planning a pick up and drop off at CDF in the next 24-48 hrs.

I understood that heading to the south side towards the flying club absolved one from handling fees?

I tried to call the flying school today but the line was dead.

I seem to remember some discussion about ldg fees at CDF and the future of the flying school?

Are they still in business?

Any idea how much I would have to pay for mandatory handling if the Southside option is no longer an option?

The aircraft is a Mooney

Thanks

SB

penguin-uk
10th Aug 2009, 16:16
Unfortunately handling is mandatory, as per the Notam as the club closed down at Christmas. You would need to go northside and be handled by Signature (01446 712637). It's approx £75 - £25 for landing fee and £50 for handling.

Phil Space
10th Aug 2009, 18:25
Yes that is sadly the case. For visitors things are difficult.

For resident aircraft the good news is the clubhouse is still open and does an all day breakfast as well as offering superb views across the field. I was doing some flying there 2 weeks ago and we had to go through a gate near the fire station to get airside.

Does it have to be EGFF?

Swansea is just 25 minutes further west and has fuel.:ok:

Mariner9
11th Aug 2009, 11:26
Or Upfield Farm is 10 minutes to the East if 600m concrete is enough and you dont need an ILS

Phil Space
11th Aug 2009, 23:56
I thought there were planning issues at Upfield:confused:

helicopter-redeye
12th Aug 2009, 07:14
Hi SB, when I landed there a few weeks ago, there was no handling fee at Sig^nt but I did upload a lot of fuel. It was on the North ramp and there were a few GA fixed wings about too.

e

Mariner9
12th Aug 2009, 08:19
I thought there were planning issues at Upfield

There are, but it's still operating.

scooter boy
13th Aug 2009, 15:55
Thanks all who replied.

Cardiff was looking pricey with mandatory handling from Signature (that'll be at least £100 sir).
Swansea closed at 1730 LCL (!) and it would have cost £130 ph or so to stay open for me.
Upfield is too short for my ovation at 600m, I need minimum 800.

After much contemplation I used Miskin Manor in the R44 instead, didn't need ATC, didn't require fuel, security or fire cover.
Lovely people there charged me nothing for landing and parking.:D

SB

Phil Space
13th Aug 2009, 17:25
Why didn't you say you could fly rotary:ok:

A great way of getting around our little congested island and if you have a place in the country it saves on hangarage and parking.

With stupid landing and handling fees it won't be long before helicopters are as cheap as fixed wing.