PDA

View Full Version : Log Book

CraigyD
10th Aug 2009, 15:24
Im posting this here as I am on the road to obtaining my CPL, but if it is the wrong forum, mods feel free to move it!

I am about to start the arduous task of transferring my logged hours from my FAA log book to a JAR-FCL commercial pilots log book. I have read from a search that this acceptable and I spoke to the CAA who said it was fine as long as I keep the original. Obvious and straight forward.

My problem is, the CAA said, when submitting log books for licence issue, signatures to show endorsements are current (just SEP class rating in my case) must be shown. However, the person I spoke to said to save confusion I should not submit my FAA log book......... which has my endorsements and signatures in! Not sure what to do really, wondered if people who had taken a similar route to me (FAA PPL onto a JAA CPL) could say what they did?

Also, could someone from USAland clear up a question I have about my FAA logbook. My Instructors filled in my log book for me after each flight and, even on cross country flights landing away would only use one entry for the total flight, putting fields landed away in the remarks section (i.e. full stop landings made at KTOA, KOKB). Is that actually acceptable?

Thanks,

Craigyd

Genghis the Engineer
10th Aug 2009, 15:43
I have JAA, CAA and FAA licences, and one logbook - neither FAA nor CAA have ever had a problem with this. I struggle to see why there's a reason to copy an FAA logbook into a JAA logbook - they all contain substantially the same information; if you really want to switch, just transfer the totals over then start from the next line.

But, I have always filled in my own logbook, with a line per flight, not per day. The practice of an instructor filling in a student's logbook for them strikes me as highly irregular - multiple airfields on one line is also rather odd but should be okay so long as the total flying hours are correct.

G

Shunter
10th Aug 2009, 16:53
I also think multiple flights on 1 line is rather wierd. Never heard of that done before. The CAA will probably choke on their subsidised cornflakes when they see that. I fill aircraft logbooks in like that (total flight time for the day and number of flights), but not flight crew logs.

There's no problem with transferring from one logbook to another (although not entirely sure why one would feel it necessary), but probably useful to put a big notice on the old book saying "Superceded; records transferred to logbook X" as all CAA license application forms require you submit ALL logbooks.

MIKECR
10th Aug 2009, 17:07
craigyd,

Firstly, it is a legal requirement to log your flight times. It does not however say anywhere in which format you must log them. It is only a requirement to keep a record(write them on the back of a fag packet if you wish!). I have the same old scabby FAA Jeppesen logbook which I have been using since I gained my PPL several years ago. I have since recorded all of my hour building, CPL, MEIR flights etc in that same logbook and the CAA have been perfectly happy with it. They have no reason not to be.
If you still wish to go ahead and buy a JAA compliant book then simply start recording subsequent flights in the new book. There is no requirement for you to transfer your previous flights across.

CraigyD
10th Aug 2009, 17:35
Thanks for the replies, cleared a lot of things up. I also thought it was weird, but didn't speak up. Suppose I didn't want to sound a know it all wannabe (think I should have grown some balls:ugh:). I'll call the CAA again tomorrow and see what they think, I'll be sure to duck and avoid cornflake missles. If they dislike it, I'll transfer it into 'standard' format, keeping original of course!

MIKECR
10th Aug 2009, 17:42
If you have queries regarding the regs and rules of things, from the recording of flight times to the likes of licensing requirements etc then you will find everything in the Air Navigation Order or in Lasors guidance docs. Both the ANO and Lasors are available online in pdf format which you can download free of charge.