PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 medevac

WLM
10th Aug 2009, 01:22
Hello all

What is your view and SOP for H1N1 medivac from offshore platforms?

catseye
10th Aug 2009, 02:04
The bug is spread by body fluids and particularly respiratory fluids eg spittle. Similar precautions for crew as used in TB should be applied with the patient and crew masked as well. Boom mikes still work with the mask on. Machine needs an anti viral clean of surfaces, afterwards of course using gloves. Alcohol wipes are good on electrics and anti viral sprays on the rest.

Don't give the patient a headset and beware of patient ventilator pipes disconnecting etc. The medical crew which of course you will have on board ( won't you!) should be briefed and insist they clean the helo or make alternate arrangements if they nick off with the patient.

Don't use crew or engineers to decontaminate the helo. If necessary u/s it til it is cleaned.

A nasty bug that is easily spread to crew and engineers if infection control breaks down.

Remember the first rule of doing rescues: don't become a victim!

:=

10th Aug 2009, 10:22
well said!!!!!!!!

Wizzard
10th Aug 2009, 11:32
Don't use crew or engineers to decontaminate the helo. If necessary u/s it til it is cleaned

Or in the case of my company stand it on dispersal with the doors open for 30 minutes - that'll do it:ugh:

WhirlwindIII
10th Aug 2009, 11:48
Due respect but are you sure about that? 30 minutes with the doors open? Isn't consistent with anything I've been instructed with respect to H1N1.

topendtorque
10th Aug 2009, 11:57
Due respect but are you sure about that? 30 minutes with the doors open? Isn't consistent with anything I've been instructed with respect to H1N1.

I note that there is no ref to wx conditions at the time of 'doors open'. A sand storm in the Gobi desert may do it, but resting in the Everglades, well??

Friend of mine is doing it very tough at the moment, HINi over (or under, take your pick) Legionaires. Maybe he feels the doors are slammin' in his face all day long not that he has any choice in his feelings for quite a while I believe..

Wizzard
10th Aug 2009, 12:19
Due respect but are you sure about that? 30 minutes with the doors open? Isn't consistent with anything I've been instructed with respect to H1N1

Sorry, I forgot the American understanding of irony! Didn't you notice the little yellow thingy banging it's head on the brick wall?

WhirlwindIII
10th Aug 2009, 12:29
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your friend - two maladies at once is not a joy. I suspect recouping strength will take awhile. Malaria over dengue fever is not fun either - not to be playing top the topic here.

I'm told H1N1 Swine flu virus is said to be able to survive outside the body up to 48 hours on hard surfaces like plastic or metal, especially in cool/dry conditions, probably only @12 hours max on such as cloth, etc.

I'd say decon efforts should be thorough for any transport vehicle.

sanddancer
10th Aug 2009, 21:07
easy ......put 'em in the boot...job done!

airwave45
10th Aug 2009, 22:03
We all have to sign "self declaration" forms before travel out to the rig now.
All the expats are being screened on arrival / transit through the main hubs (IR Cameras)

Being at this for a while makes me absolutely certain that H1N1 from the SLF is the least of your problems, have you any idea what we get up to on our time off ? ;)

30 mins with the doors open round here will kill pretty much anything; if that doesn't do it the alcohol fumes / flatulence / b.o. from the pax will finish off what the heat didn't.

H1N1 = Flu, H1N1 seems to kill less than normal flu.

WhirlwindIII
11th Aug 2009, 01:56
Wizzard

Ah, yes, I get it. Thought only Americans indulged in the irony of cartoons - an underestimation. Welcome.

WIII