PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Pilot Work Experience

OmniRadial
9th Aug 2009, 10:01
Hi all

I am a 17 y/o, in year 12 and have a SPL and am approaching GFPT. After I complete year 12 I am going to do my training full time up to CPL + endorsements, etc. At the moment, I don't have a great desire to get into instructing and would like to get straight into charter - once I complete the hard task of finding my first flying job. I understand this will require me to head up north which I am more than happy to do.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any operators who have conducted work experience in the past, or would be willing to take me on for a few days and do a bit of work experience during the September school holidays. I would be particularly interested in somewhere that conducts flights to remote areas, eg. an operator in the Territory; Darwin or Alice, or in WA (somewhere than I can catch a flight to).

I think that this would be a great chance for me to experience flying in the more remote parts of the country, see what the job entails and talk to pilots about the path they took. If there are any operators outside of these areas who do work experience - please let me know as well.

Many thanks

OR

The Truckie
10th Aug 2009, 00:27
Where are you living i may be able to help out.

Aerozepplin
10th Aug 2009, 01:31
That's really quite a good idea. I've got to say that I feel the change from hugs-all-round-training to working for a struggling charter/freight/skydive/etc company could be a bit if a shock. I don't really know what to expect.

OmniRadial
10th Aug 2009, 05:43
G'day Truckie, I live in Mackay but am happy to travel as it would be in school holidays.

plucka
11th Aug 2009, 02:57
G'Day Omniradial,

Have you tried the fella's at C.H.A.T. (central highlands air transport), out of Emerald. They do regular charter plus a couple of freight runs, and they are not too far from you.
There is also a couple of Ag. operators in town as well, who should be starting to get busy in September, if you have an inclination in that direction also....

I wish you the best of luck for the future, and hope it works out for you.:ok:

mattyj
11th Aug 2009, 05:17
Why don't you try Australasian Jet at Mackay airport. They're all nice enough blokes..they have a small twin and several 206's..busy most days (pretty representative of a small GA outfit) They might let you wash some of the machines for work experience:}

(Seriously one of the 206's has heaps of oil all over its luggage pod..flies right over my place on left base..I worry about my laundry on the line!!)