PDA

View Full Version : OAT JAA ATPL Theoretical Knowledge Manual

silent_scream
9th Aug 2009, 06:59
Greetings !

I am about to start preparing for my ATPL Written exams and would like some advise on which Books to study from.
From what I have heard, most of the Lot go for the "JAA ATPL Theoretical Knowledge Manual" by Oxford Aviation Training. Which a matter of fact is an expensive set of books.
And hence would like to know if the OAT ATPL set of Books will live up completely with me for the Exams and later for the rest of my Flying life, or are there other books which I need to look at.
Any input will be appreciated.

Fly Safe!
Silent.

Whirlygig
9th Aug 2009, 08:17
Have you enrolled with a groundschool yet? They will provide the written manuals that you need as part of the course fee. You can't just self-study ATPL exams like PPL. You may wish to choose your groundschool based on the written material they provide.

Cheers

Whirls

silent_scream
9th Aug 2009, 11:12
Whirlygig, Thanks for prompt reply.
I am not planning to write the JAA ATPL exams. Am under FAA. And the ATPL paper here is, as you might agree, not as challenging as JAA ATPL. And in future I might wish to write an JAA exam. So wish to start preparing for it.
And hence the quest.

Would you recommend OAT JAA ATPL Knowledge Manual or Some other Book / Material ?
Pardon me for I am not very aware of the Books used for JAA Written Study.

Thanks Again.
Silent.

lasseb
9th Aug 2009, 13:47
The best books I have found in my years of teaching are from Wiljam (not William).
They used to be available for free online under Wiljam Flight Training, but that site has closed down. I'm not sure if they still are available for free online, but I have seen them on Amazon though.

Whirlygig
9th Aug 2009, 16:06
Wiljam Flight Training, but that site has closed down.Probably because those notes were a direct copy of the Jeppesen manuals.

Silent scream, if you're doing the FAA ATPL exams, then use FAA study material. When and if you come to do JAA ATPL, you will have to enrol with a school and you'll be presented with the manuals then. No point in getting them early as the syllabus could easily change and it may be detrimental to your FAA knowledge requirements. Why make life difficult for yourself?

If you just wish to have some extra study material, then get Phil Croucher's JAR Professional Pilot Studies; no point in spending hundreds on manuals which become out of date.

Cheers

Whirls

silent_scream
10th Aug 2009, 17:23
Thanks Whirls and Lasseb.

Fly Safe!
Silent.

paco
11th Aug 2009, 04:27
Actually, the Wiljam stuff was a direct copy of Atlantic's material - I found a hidden Word file on the CD which was a dead giveaway. That's not to say they didn'y copy Jeppesen's stuff as well!

silent_scream - the best solution for your problem is this book: JAR Professional Pilot Studies (http://www.electrocution.com/aviation/#JAR) at £59.95.

It will also be suitable for the FAA exams except for the law chapter and the spelling :). For the law, you might want to try: FARS In Plain English (http://www.electrocution.com/aviation/#FARS)

Phil

Whirlygig
11th Aug 2009, 06:35
Actually, the Wiljam stuff was a direct copy of Atlantic's materialwhich I thought was published by Jeppesen? I went to AFT and easily recognised the wiljam website :}

Cheers

Whirls

silent_scream
11th Aug 2009, 16:46
Thanks a Lot Phil. I'll set on that one.
Fly Safe!
Silent.