PDA

View Full Version : Entering the UK while avoiding immigration

davidjohnson6
8th Aug 2009, 23:28
As many will be aware, there is an agreement between the UK and Ireland, such that individuals may travel from one country to the other without being subject to the usual immigration controls. An example of this is that one can fly from Dublin to Stansted and no Govt employee will ask to see your passport. The carrying airline may of course have its own additional requirements.

Ryanair often have advance sales on the DUB-STN route - such that one can buy a seat on the flight for 1 euro. What is there to stop someone flying into STN from somewhere other than Ireland, just buying a DUB-STN seat in advance for 1 euro, and then at UK immigration showing their DUB-STN boarding pass as evidence that they flew from Ireland, when they actually flew from a completely different country ?

Yes, one needs to provide a boarding card at UK immigration of a flight that has actually landed - but this is not difficult to satisfy.

So people - where's the catch in this way of avoiding UK immigration if you know the UK Mr Plod is keen for you to assist in his enquiries ?

Skipness One Echo
9th Aug 2009, 00:19
A careful eye was kept on our flight last time I did DUB-STN and we were discreetly herded apart from the rest and asked to have our boarding cards ready. We were also parked on 50R which was the nearest gate to the Terminal, though whether this happens a lot I can't say as I usually fly with EI.

Like most places, STN has cameras everywhere.

Capot
9th Aug 2009, 09:36
It has always been very simple to swap boarding cards with someone with a legitimate passport at LGW so as to avoid immigration, and from watching the process a week or two ago that has not changed.

Incidentally, I discovered this week that the Home Office deports unwanted Irish people to the Republic, and I wonder how easy it is for them to come back the next day, by sea or air?