PDA

View Full Version : moving programs from 1 memory device to another

jxc
8th Aug 2009, 12:05
Hi

Hopefully titles explains it I have an external memory device but want to transfer everything over to a new bigger one. I know how to do pictures word docs etc but if I drag and drop a program file will it still work or not ?

Thanks for your help

Jxc

al446
8th Aug 2009, 12:17
Don't see any reason why not as long you have enabled 'show hidden files' and move them too

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Aug 2009, 13:21
Depends on all sorts of things.

For a start, you could give us a clue as to what operating system you're using, and what the "external memory devices" are, and how they are connected to your system.

If you're using Windows, and the external memory device is a hard disk, and you connect by mapping the hard disk to a drive letter, then you can certainly copy whatever files you likem, but unless you cause the new disk to have to have the same drive letter as the old one used to have, then anything that involves paths stored in the registry (or elsewhere) is likely to stop working. So, some applications will continue to work perfectly, some will continue to work partially, some may not work at all, if you don't get the drive letter right.

Many many other scenarios are possible, until you give more information.

boe777
8th Aug 2009, 14:04
Provided you have windows, the easiest way to transfer everything would be...

Programs>Accessories>System tools> file and settings transfer wizard.

boe777
8th Aug 2009, 14:12
Sorry... for PROGRAMS, anything linked with windows registry and operating system will not work on the new device, the programs which are independent of windows/operating system will definately work.

jxc
8th Aug 2009, 20:48
Sorry

I am running xp the external device is a phillips device i have it on my computer as zip drive (L)
The new one is a western digital 1TB
The main problem I have is that I have Eudora running from the phillips device and don't want to lose the emails stored on it as have happened before

Hope this helps a bit more

And they are connected by usb

BOAC
8th Aug 2009, 22:03
Not familiar with Eudora but most email programmes have the option to 'export' emails to another programme and to change the location of the stored emails? Try Google.

cdtaylor_nats
9th Aug 2009, 13:17
Plug both drives in, copy the files, remove both drives and then plug in the new drive. The new drive will now have the drive letter assigned previously to the old drive

Keef
11th Aug 2009, 11:05
Plug both drives in, copy the files, remove both drives and then plug in the new drive. The new drive will now have the drive letter assigned previously to the old drive

... only if you go into the drives control panel and set it to be so.

Otherwise, the machine will allocate it the first "vacant" drive letter.

If you're copying from a USB stick/Zip type device to a large HD, then my suggestion would be to plug them both in and use xcopy. That will pick up hidden and system files, and keep the settings on them. Drag-and-drop will, if you set it up right. Xcopy is, in my experience, a lot easier.

If the Zip is L, and the new HD is (say) M, then when they are both connected, open a command window and type
xcopy L:\*.* M:\*.* /C /D /E /G /H /K /X /Y

Then remove the L: drive, open Control Panel, Admininstrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management, find the new HD, right-click it, select "Change Drive Letter and Paths", and make it L.

Restart the PC, and check that your programmes on the new HD run as before.

Mike-Bracknell
12th Aug 2009, 08:27
Which version of Eudora?

I used to support 800 users of it on my own between 1995-1999 and it was a piece of cake to administer etc. Back then, each folder was kept as separate files with an index file IIRC (given that it was 10 yrs ago). Have not kept current with it though as Procomm started letting their marketing dept ruin what was a great product IMHO.