PDA

View Full Version : gns 430 database

jumbojet
8th Aug 2009, 07:15
HI,
I shall shortly start flying an IFR equiped Grumman AA5. It has a garmin 430 fitted. Will its data base have instrument approaches installed? I know the US model does, but this will be a UK model. I cant find a contents list for the Jepp data base.
Jumbo

Ringway Flyer
8th Aug 2009, 08:27
We use an Archer with two 430s fitted. Whilst I don't use them for IFR or instrument approaches, the aircraft is occasionally used for commercial training at MAN and as far as I am aware full ILS approaches can be carried out.
:ok:

27/09
8th Aug 2009, 09:09
as far as I am aware full ILS approaches can be carried outThat would be using the nav receiver in the GNS 430.

The database will have NDB, VOR and LOC/ILS approaches which can be loaded into the flight plan but it is not legal to fly these approaches using the GPS as the primary means of navigation. The ADF or nav receivers must be used as the primary means.

How many GPS approaches do you have in the UK? I read recently that you only got your first GNSS approach last October.

It is true that GPS approaches will only be at airfields that have ATC? This seems a silly restriction. What is the reason for this?

JW411
8th Aug 2009, 11:01
My Garmin 430 has all the let downs for Europe in the database. I also have a contract with Jeppesen and update the database every month. This will cost you about €250 per annum.

007helicopter
8th Aug 2009, 17:18
How many GPS approaches do you have in the UK

The Grand Total is now......... ONE !!:ugh:

A bit to risky for us Brits, goodness knows someone could turn it off at a critical moment!!

IO540
10th Aug 2009, 17:54
If it is anything like the Bendix KLN94 GPS, it could be set up for VFR only use , or IFR use without approach capability or full IFR capability depending on how it was certified at install time and that will disable certain functionality. e.g. the KLN94 will display "GPS Approaches Disabled" if configured for VFR or IFR use without approach capability.The KLN94 can be set like that, and indeed when I got my plane new, the UK CAA demanded it to be set to VFR only, despite the BRNAV approval being on the CAA approved Type Certificate :)

The UK dealer routinely reset them to IFR (which takes only minutes if you know how :) ).

I don't think the Garmin x30 units can be similarly configured. You get the whole lot on them - whatever is in the Jepp database.

However, to fly IFR (BRNAV) with any IFR GPS, the installation also need to comply with various regs. Simply screwing a GNS530 into the dash is not sufficient. One needs specified indicators within the pilot primary field of view.

BRNAV seems to have similar requirements to FAA AC20-138A which is the FAA approach certification requirement. On an EASA reg plane, or indeed a US reg one, you need a custom flight manual supplement to legally fly GPS approaches...