PDA

View Full Version : Distance learning course...

Lew747
7th Aug 2009, 20:25
Hi All,

I'm not gonna go into one here but I was one of the school leavers who opted not to go to university after finishing my A-Levels.

I got myself a job with Royal Mail late last year as a postie and it allowed me to finish my PPL (passed my skills test last week :)) and get myself a nice reliable motor! I think to myself there was no way I could of done this all off my own back if I had gone to university, because I could not of had a half decent paying job in order for me to complete my PPL! My personal belief has always been to strive to be the best and be one of the youngest at what I do, hence not really wanting to spend 3 years out of flying studying a degree. My only sensible option is to keep on working (in the cold wind and rain :}) and save up as much as can for my ATPL studies.

I'm basically trying to get some more bullet points in my CV that could compare to me having a degree, and to show to any employer in the future that I have a large scope of interests (and skills?). I've already started an Advanced Driving course with the IAM which I'm sure will be looked on in a good way and this evening i've come across this :UK Distance Learning College - affordable courses for all - TRANSPORT MANAGEMENT AWARD (ACCREDITED LEVEL 3) (http://www.ukdistancelearningcollege.com/product.asp?id=268&TRANSPORT_MANAGEMENT_AWARD_(ACCREDITED_LEVEL_3))

OK, So it's not entirley aviation related but It's definately something to look into? It's expensive, but in the long run, what would be better? 2 hours in the logbook or another qualification on your CV?

Hope to hear your thoughts!

Lewis :ok:

Aerouk
7th Aug 2009, 21:23
Is it just me, or does that site not come across as slightly dodgy?

They say they are registered with the UK Register of Learning providers, but that organisation isn't a govt organisation at all. In fact they are so wrong, their still using the "Scottish Executive" logo rather than the Scottish Govt logo. They are registered under a company called Elms Hunt International Ltd who run a lot of these sites such as "HotCourses" and under their WHOIS information on their website they have listed their registrant type as "Unknown".

They also list them being a part of the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers, but the ICB don't have any information or links to them as partners.

Apparenlty you'll get a Diploma from the Stonebridge Associated Colleges, I've looked at their website. Why aren't they using a .ac.uk domain? Why do they not provide company information?

Dane-Ger
8th Aug 2009, 09:13
If you want to be a pilot, it would seem rather a waste of time to use £340 on this course, I would suggest you save another £660 and start your ATPL studies distance learning with CATS. you can take your time over the next year and a half and get all 14 exams out of the way whilst building up some more hours as and when you can.

regards D-G

Aerouk
8th Aug 2009, 11:36
Yeh I agree, the course is only a level 3. University degrees would be level 9 so theres a big difference. You would be better investing the money on more flying hours and a better result on your ATPL.

laverda62
10th Aug 2009, 20:00
Sounds LEW747 like you may have several paths. If your ultimate goal is to get to the airlines then best thing is to focus your hour building now that you have your PPL, do this in a structured manner including getting your 300NM X/C under your belt and perhaps pick up Night, IMC and Complex. Consider ME with your IR rating once you know for sure airlines are your firm direction. The ATPL studies are very intense and one needs to think really carefully before commiting to the study of 15 hours p.w. I have just finished my 14th exam last week, took 16 months from start and I have two demanding jobs. I used CAT's www.cranfieldaviation.com (http://www.cranfieldaviation.com) and would recommend you talk to them. The ATPL course is structured but there is flexibility in which sequence you do it. :ok: