PDA

View Full Version : Propeller SHANK and Blade Cuff

Capt.Saud
7th Aug 2009, 17:13
Can anyone tell me what is a propeller shank and what is blade cuff?i have a technical exam.please anyone let me know these two terms.Thanks in advance.

Donalk
7th Aug 2009, 17:57
Someone devised a system to accurately describe the location of various points on a blade, referred to as station numbers, which are measured from the centre of the blade hub.

The shank is the thickest part of the blade. The part of the shank which fits into the propellor hub is known as the blade base.

A cuff is a hard rubber assembly fitted to the blade near the blade base which changes the airfoil properties. However this is where it gets controversial with one camp claiming a speed increase as a result of cuffed bades, and the other claiming its use is to improve airflow toward the base and thus aid in engine cooling during prolonged ground operations.

I believe some P51's were equipped with cuffed blades. I imagine though that a blade would have to be specifically designed or modified to accept a cuff thus it is not something you could decide to retro fit to any prop. I'm open to correction on this point though.