PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the Chinook frontline

NYF
7th Aug 2009, 15:24
So, the Bootneck's long threatened book about flying Chinooks in Afghanistan, Immediate Response, has finally hit the shelves. And, who'd have thought it, it's actually a great read. More importantly, it's also a real insight into the job the whole Chinook force is doing out there.

Lyneham Lad
7th Aug 2009, 15:37
Thanks for the heads-up :ok:

From Amazon's website:-

Product Description
2006 in Helmand saw British forces engaged in the most ferocious fighting since the Korean War. For much of the time they were hanging on by their fingertips, holed up in remote platoon houses, outnumbered, facing relentless assault and nearly overwhelmed. Only the Chinooks kept them in the game. But that meant their crews putting down in hot LZs, exposing their aircraft to withering attack from an enemy for whom downing one of the big helos would be the ultimate prize. They had been lucky. So far. Then they launched their biggest operation yet: a complicated, high-risk airborne assault that launched a fleet of heavily armed helicopters into the Afghan Heart of Darkness. And then a report came over the net that one of the Chinooks was down . . . In Immediate Response, Major Mark Hammond, a Royal Marine flying with the RAF, tells the gripping inside story of the Chinook squadrons’ war for the first time. It’s a visceral, unputdownable combination of hi-tech and old-fashioned grit; an action-packed story shot through with a mix of aviation fuel and cordite …[

About the Author
Major Mark Hammond joined the Royal Marines in 1989. After specializing as a pilot, he flew Gazelle and Lynx helicopters for 3 Commando Brigade Air Squadron and, subsequently, 847 Naval Air Squadron. After a tour in America with the US Marine Corps flying Cobra attack helicopters, he now flies the Chinook HC2 on exchange with the RAF. He took part in the 2003 assault on Iraq’s Al-Fawr Peninsula and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in Afghanistan in 2006.

# ISBN-10: 0718154746
# ISBN-13: 978-0718154745

If this is as good as the Apache and Harrier books on their respective Afghan experiences, then it will be well worth ordering.

7th Aug 2009, 16:48
A bootie that can write!!!!!!!!!

Mark has come a long way since he was a student of mine at Middle Wallop and managed to put every single 'standard student error' into one downwind quickstop!:)

Nice one Mark:ok:

3winged
7th Aug 2009, 19:30
I too have read this book, and while PPRUNE is not about promoting peoples books and work, I firmly believe that Hammond has provided a voice for the Odiham Chinook force. The book is very well written and tells the tale of 2006 with a balance of honesty, humour and humility whilst providing background and setting to the conditions of that era in the Afghan conflict. What the guys and girls of the Chinook force are doing out there, while being recognised in public by awards such as the Millies and countless DFC's, MiDs, QCVS etc, is a story that was crying out to be told to the great general public.

The fact that it is NOT a book all about a Royal Marine, who just happened to be flying an RAF Chinook when he was awarded the DFC, makes it even more honest and readable. But make up your own minds if you read it.

As a precentage is going to H4H, it was a no brainer for me. :ok::D

jim2673
7th Aug 2009, 20:16
One may wonder if Jim Newton gave a % of his extrenuous earnings to the worthy charity H4H

colonel cluster
7th Aug 2009, 21:46
as in Jim Newton. I think you will find all of the profits from Jims good book were donated to military charities.

Good to see we can continue to tell our stories, at the right time, and in the right way. The more the public understand, the better, and not sensationalised for the sake of a few more 'soon to be' chip wrappers!

BZ

The Colonel

wokkamate
8th Aug 2009, 13:02
Bought it, read it, love it - although it is a shame a book about Chinooks had to be written by a Marine....;)

Having heard that Hammond was going to be all over the media this last week , I am surprised by his silence - not in character at all, which leads me to believe that the RAF, RN, MOD, or all three have banned him from doing any publicity. SHAME ON THEM! This is the ideal chance to punt the Chinook force (not just Mark Hammond) and the incredible work being done in Afghanistan since 2006 (and before!) and if this is the case then it is typical of the Military's reaction to good news stories - block em and ban em if we didn't think of em. As 3winged said, a percentage is going to H4H, so any publicity would be good news for them.

Yet again, it makes me proud to serve the MOD.....:ugh:

PS - or maybe he just chickened out of the self publicity...............nah!

air pig
8th Aug 2009, 15:34
As someone said, bought it read it, and for the first time in a long time, a book I could not put down. To me, he could see what was coming at him and his crew, what about the IRT and MERT teams in the back, sit tight and pray that the crew are having a lucky day.

Fantastic boo and well worth a read and a donation to H4H what more can you say.

Regards to all

Air pig.

3winged
8th Aug 2009, 19:09
I get it:

"Major Mark Hammond, DFC - read me!"

Seriously, like he needed an excuse.....:)

Wonderwokka
8th Aug 2009, 19:59
Incredibly, my girlfriend read it all in 2 days. In fact she didn't speak to me for the whole weekend! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't witnessed it with my own eyes. She was chuckling, gasping and at one point, sobbing - she couldn't put it down. Mind you she said she glossed over the technical stuff. :ugh: I finally got a look in and I thought it was the mutts nuts - I felt like I was in the cockpit. Well done to Maj Hammond!:ok:

whowhenwhy
8th Aug 2009, 20:31
I heard that the TO on 27 ghost wrote it for him:E

November4
8th Aug 2009, 21:57
In fact she didn't speak to me for the whole weekend!

Best I get a copy for Mrs N4 - could do with some peace and quiet!

SPIT
8th Aug 2009, 22:55
Hi Just to let anuone who is interested ASDA STORES are selling this book for £10 at the moment, (rrp £17.99p) :ok::ok:

andyy
10th Aug 2009, 12:49
RM Troop Commander, Gazelle, Lynx, Cobra on exchange and Chinook on exchange. Gets around a bit doesn't he?

spindrier
10th Aug 2009, 20:56
Jack of all trades...

Finnpog
10th Aug 2009, 21:02
Bootie of all trades - surely?:ok::ouch:

chopper2004
11th Aug 2009, 07:23
I bought it yesterday and haven;'t stopped reading let alone, put it down yet.

Fantastic read!!:ok:

3winged
12th Aug 2009, 12:09
Guys,

For those of you who have read and enjoyed the book, spread the good word so others go out and buy it, and then please get on Amazon to review it. The more the message is spread about the good work the Chinooks are doing in Afghanistan the better.

Oh, and Hammond might buy me a pint for punting the book (as well as the benefit to H4H of course!)

:ok:

Navy_Adversary
12th Aug 2009, 17:25
I bought the book today from WH Smith and it cost me £7.99:)
The book is reduced to 12.99 and with a WH Smith priviledge card another fiver discount until the weekend.
You should be able to join the club online.

wokkamate
12th Aug 2009, 20:51
Now then Army - you jealous because you can't even read let alone write? The Chinook force do an amazing job in AFG (just like the AH, SK, LX Forces) but this is the first book to publicise their story.

What's up, afraid you might enjoy it? ;)

Compressorstall
12th Aug 2009, 22:08
Once again Brand New, you just have to be unfriendly. Go suck on a lemon.

knocker88
13th Aug 2009, 09:01
I think most people are missing the point. Its not a book about how great the "school bully " is - its about the crew. Even tho he got the big one he makes some excellent points about the rest of the guys.
Obviously Brand(space)new only likes books with massive pictures and no words. Thats his choice.
I liked the book.

Wonderwokka
13th Aug 2009, 09:43
I wonder as a 'wonderwokka' does did brand(space)new join pprune simply to slag off the book? That's a bit sad. It's the serving British military with their best fighting pants on and the Chinook that are the stars of this book - Maj Hammond is the voice but they are the heroes and he can count himself amongst them.

" It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock " said the great bard.

jockspice
13th Aug 2009, 14:01
A great read and a great endorsement for what the wokkas and everyone involved are doing in theatre. Well done, you big, bald bootneck! :ok:

WPH
14th Aug 2009, 03:37
Looking forward to reading it but I can't help wondering why in recent times I haven't heard of a book written by an RAF pilot about Iraq/Afganistan. We've had a WAFU write about Harriers, a brown job write about Apache and a bootie write about Chinooks - can't the RAF write? Or are we just too modest? Was Tornado Down the last one? Or is this (http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/wdp/news/RAF-pilot-helps-sell-cook-book-charity/article-1181781-detail/article.html) the best we can do?

Dominoe
14th Aug 2009, 06:03
Did the Mods delete "brand(space)new" post or am I just being blind?

Wonderwokka
14th Aug 2009, 06:54
It's possible s/he made an exit stage left and deleted his/her post him/herself

Foxtrot.Oscar
14th Aug 2009, 18:45
Thanks for the heads up on the book, just ordered myself a copy.

Looking forward to getting stuck into it :ok:

wokkamate
16th Aug 2009, 10:57
OMG - My Mum has just finished reading the book and absolutley loved it! It seems that this is a war book that might just be bucking the genre a little.

But then again my Mum would say she loved it as it is about what I do, although she did confess to feeling a little bit scared at times of what we get up to.....not nearly as much as I do though! :uhoh:

:ok:

jez_s
16th Aug 2009, 12:14
Just finished reading it, couldn't put it down. Found it to be a very good read:ok:

Wonderwokka
17th Aug 2009, 13:58
There are some good reviews on Amazon.:D

Milarity
17th Aug 2009, 14:16
A very good read.

I was somewhat gob smacked by the poo-gate story. How could anyone, let alone a Major in the Army, behave in such an embarrassing manner? Fancy running to your boss and complaining about such trivia! He should have been given a swift kick up the backside and not been pandered to.

18th Aug 2009, 06:05
Milarity - if you had ever met Mark Hammond you would know he is not the size of guy you argue with, let alone give a kick up the backside to.

PS never ever do phys with him either - I tried it once and nearly died:ok:

Milarity
18th Aug 2009, 07:34
Crabs, not Mark, the dipstick that tried to take a dump in the Chinook crews' traps and, when told to sling his hook, formally complained about Mark because he 'felt threatened'.
You need to read that chapter to see what I am on about.

18th Aug 2009, 11:22
Roger, I'll have to get the book! It does make much more sense that someone might feel 'threatened' by a big bootie!:)

highonsnow
18th Aug 2009, 22:08
Just bought it off Amazon, can't wait to read it now!

FRED WHELAN
19th Aug 2009, 09:28
Another good read that has been around for a while is 'Apache' by Ed Macy. A good insight to what an awesome machine the apache is.
The ending of the book has a few twists to it and I could not put this book down either.

wokkamate
19th Aug 2009, 22:04
Has anyone else other than me actually finished 'Immediate response' yet? Care to offer a review? A little bird (not so little in reality) told me this might hit the Sunday times top 10 list this weekend......nice one Mark! Mines a cold pint of wife beater. :}

Phantom Phlyer
19th Aug 2009, 23:56
Might be doing the Army exchange next!!! :\

chinook240
20th Aug 2009, 07:51
Good interview this morning on Sky News, Mark, but way too scary looking!

chinook240
20th Aug 2009, 08:56
No, just her favorite recipes! But I don't recall Mark answering questions on the strategy in Afghanistan, purely flying the Wokka, so a bit harsh Duck Dodgers.

knocker88
20th Aug 2009, 09:13
Even if he did - I would rather listen to him than some Dr or MP telling me about Afghanistan.

Wonderwokka
21st Aug 2009, 12:14
He looked a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Timing-wise a book about CH47s in Afg and then the first UK one gets shot down is that good ju-ju or bad ju-ju?

Wonderwokka
21st Aug 2009, 12:25
Of course, it's never good to lose aircraft and thankfully everybody survived! :ugh:Doh! Unlike the Flipper one in the book - the memorial section was very sad. I agreed with the CO, theatre is no place for mourning. Please forgive the insensitivity of the post - no offence was meant.

wokkamate
21st Aug 2009, 15:02
WW - dont' worry about it, I am pretty sure that every one on here knows you meant well, after all the boys all escaped ok. I get your point about this being karma, but I really don't think a book about Chinooks has any sway over what happens in Helmand!

The news has been pretty quiet about the whole incident though, what with all the clamouring for more helicopters.

As for me, I am just glad the lads are ok, a bit shaken up I suspect but glad they were flying such a robust bit of kit! :D

3winged
21st Aug 2009, 15:08
Wonderwokka - quit panicking and listen to the boy, for he speaks wisely. No one gives a stuff about the cab, all we care about is the pink bodies inside and they are ok. I know 2 of them very well and whilst shaken they are in good spirits. Hopefully back in the saddle very soon. For those of us lucky enough to fly the CH47, we are reminded daily of what an excellent aircraft it is. Events like this just cement that.

I saw the big bald git on Sky and he did look a bit neanderthal but at least he spoke about the team effort and not about himself, which is unusual.

Mark - I hope the book is selling well, for H4H's sake!

Wonderwokka
23rd Aug 2009, 09:35
Just bought The Sunday Times and IR is at no 9 in the Hardback non-fiction bestsellers chart. Check out Pg 32 of the Culture section. Not a word you would normally associate with a bootneck. 'Culture' that is!

Top 10 hardbacks - non-fiction - Times Online (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article4304959.ece)

Brewers Droop
23rd Aug 2009, 22:03
I must confessed to being shocked for 3 reasons:

1. Shocked that I read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it.

2. Shocked that it triggered a few memories of time away from blighty.

3. And completely shocked that a bootneck can actually write!

One of the best books I've read for a long time. It now has pride of place between "Chickenhawk" and "100 Best Walks in the Lake District"

Green Flash
24th Aug 2009, 12:19
MH is on the Simon Mayo show on BBC R5 Live this afternoon

wokkamate
24th Aug 2009, 16:53
OMG :ugh:

Major Mark Hammond DFC

'google me'
'watch me'
'listen to me'

Whats next?

I heard the interview and he came across quite well though, obviously learning from his increased media exposure. :D

Wonderwokka
24th Aug 2009, 16:58
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/mayo/mayo_20090824-1609a.mp3

hear it for yourself!

airborne_artist
25th Aug 2009, 17:59
And in glorious technicolour:

BBC NEWS | UK | Chinook pilot recalls dramatic Afghan rescue (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8220582.stm)

sprucemoose
26th Aug 2009, 13:00
I've just done a review of the book and was offered an interview with Mark by his publishers (which I had to decline due to space constraints), so the word previously on this thread about him being hidden away are rubbish, sorry!
Excellent book, although for obvious reasons it can't maintain the combat momentum of 'Apache' throughout. But as said elsewhere, that doesn't matter, because it really highlights the crew effort and the risks taken to rescue injured guys on the ground; and how you need to be lucky sometimes.
I met Mark on an exercise in Morocco late last year, and I'm glad people like him are on our side; the guy's forearms are bigger than my biceps!

WASALOADIE
30th Aug 2009, 16:50
Just read it.......Hoofing!

A good tribute to all those who operate out there and deserve recognition.

Roger Sofarover
30th Aug 2009, 17:14
Great book, great read

but I am amazed on the mil forum that nobody has picked up on whowhenwhy's comment on page 1 !! The book was ghostwritten by a lady and her very very proud husband also flys them machines! It is out there on the net, no secret.

So maybe bootnecks can't write, but they can tell a good story:ok: Here's to the next one.

thorpey
30th Aug 2009, 18:25
Having just finished reading Major Marks book, in two days, cracking read, i purchased a second whilst there about a young Bootie, titled Man Down. He was seriously injured in Afghanistan and it tells about his time there and his recovery. I know it's not an aviation book but certainly worth buying. Good luck to the man, thorpey.

Wonderwokka
10th Sep 2009, 11:49
"A lady?" - I don't believe it? I saw a female name and just assumed she was his PA - checking for typos. Thought it was done by that fella from The Sun who did Apache and Sniper One.

Wonderwokka
22nd Sep 2009, 12:59
Found this and joined the other day.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=85357743256&ref=ts
(http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=502956021#/group.php?gid=85357743256&ref=ts)