PDA

View Full Version : Downwind checks Mnemonic

Warmtoast
7th Aug 2009, 11:13
In Harvards in the early 1950's and possibly today, the downwind check was remembered as a mnemonic:

“TMPFFSGGHHH”

and recited as “Tickle my ***** for ****’s sake goody goody ha ha ha”, all of which was intended to prompt for Throttle–Mixture–Pitch, etc.

What were the etcetera bits i.e. "FFSGGHHH"?

Jackonicko
7th Aug 2009, 12:10
Do you know what happened to Hugh? I know that he was out in the Far East on Venoms, and much later was at Boscombe, or Bedford.

Mike Read
7th Aug 2009, 13:16
I was taught "Tickle Mary Pickford for forty glorious hours". It was the pre-takeoff checks for the Prentice or Harvard and could be adapted to cover most aircraft. Trims set for take off, mixture rich, pitch fully fine, fuel sufficient and selected, flaps set for takeoff, gills as required (not for the Prentice or Harvard) hood open/closed, hydraulics, harness tight. Of course, you would need to be training in 1950 to know who Mary Pickford was.

Mike Read
7th Aug 2009, 13:18
I believe Hugh Rigg was a QFI at Middle Wallop in recent (ish) years.

aw ditor
7th Aug 2009, 14:04
Jacko

I believe HR' appeared briefly in his sister's not too recent "Who do you think you are?" episode.

Madbob
7th Aug 2009, 14:38
The one I was taught went B-U-M-F-F-G-G-H-C

Brakes off

U/C down - it was down and welded to begin with!

Mixture rich

Fuel - sufficient / tank selected

Fuel pump on

Gyros syncronised

Guages - all green

Hatches and harnesses

Crew - all happy?:ok:

Later on in the JP the mantra was.....

speed below 140

airbrakes in

u/c down

fuel sufficient for 90 (95) kt threshold speed

flaps to take off (limit was 150 kts ISTR)

hydraulics - brakes on/off pressure good, confirm exhausted on release

hatches and harnesses - checked

Amazing really what a young brain can soak up - the first solo was nearly 30 years ago in the dear old Mk.3 .....happy days!

MB

Herod
7th Aug 2009, 20:28
If I recall (and it's over forty years for me), the JP was "aunt and uncle fornicate frequently, however weary"
Airbrakes in, undercarriage down, flaps set, fuel sufficient, harness and hood secure, wheelbrakes on,off, heels on the floor.

Hyperborean
7th Aug 2009, 20:37
I was rapped over the knuckles for getting ahead of myself and reciting,"Undercarriage down and mixed," one day at Denham. The same instructor was somewhat bemused when he asked, " If the engine fails now where are you going to go?" and I replied, "In the water." We were just airborne easterly towards some gravel pits and i still, After 40 years can't think of a better answer. If I had suggested a turn back to the field it would have been more than my knuckles that got rapped.

rodthesod
7th Aug 2009, 21:35
I remember a Nigerian AF student at Linton who, thinking of pre take-off checks, decided to check 'controls - full and free movement' as the last JP3 downwind VA. The ensuing manoeuvre was interesting to say the least.

chris keeping
8th Aug 2009, 03:38
Warmtoast, one of my instructors who was then with Cathay swore blind that a pre take off check that went "Tickle my ..... for a great big horn" would suffice from Vampires to Tristars, not sure, but certainly worked for a Beech Musketeer!

Sultan Ismail
8th Aug 2009, 14:04
BUMFFAHH

Brakes Undercarriage Mixture Pitch Flap Fuel Aerial (wind it in) Hatches Harnesses

Lightning Mate
9th Aug 2009, 14:44
The one for hydraulic failure in a Gnat was a good one.

Now, what was it.....what was it.....what was it....

stupre, stuprec, stupid......bugger.