PDA

View Full Version : Crossing MATZ in the UK

tigermagicjohn
6th Aug 2009, 00:05
I have a couple of questions regarding the Matz control zone in the UK.
Having regained my PPL here in the UK, I would like to know anyone could please give me some information regarding entering MATZ control zone.

First when planning a navigation trip in the UK, the map is full of MATZ zones, I understand I need to request clearence to enter, however can I cross a MATZ anywhere? Or is there only certain parts of the MATZ zone I am able to enter?

Can I fly directly over the airfield, or can I only cross MATZ on outer limits?

And what about week-ends, when the MATZ ATC is normally closed, if no response is recieved from their ATC, can I then fly anywhere over the MATZ?

Many places you have 2 - 3 MATZ zones all connected together, I would like to fly in a straight line if possible, and not Zigg - Zagg trough the UK, any advice regarding this. An example would be Honnington, Lakenheath, Mildenhall.

If given clearance, can a MATZ penetration be made anywhere in the MATZ zone, including across airfield at safe altitude?

Jumbo Driver
6th Aug 2009, 07:07
The definitive answers are to be found in the UKAIP at ENR 2.2 (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/enr/EG_ENR_2_2_en.pdf) (pp 2-2-3-1 to 2-2-3-3) - or in a recent thread here (http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/383163-matz-uk.html) - or you could try searching this forum for "MATZ" ... this question has been asked so many times before ...

JD
:)

hatzflyer
6th Aug 2009, 07:10
With respect, How have you just got your licence back if you don't understand basic airspace rules?
Yes, you can go over (at a min height) under (a stub at max height) etc.
But I suggest you spend a little time with an instructor to brush up .

The Yanks get very very iffy if you go overhead their runways,(plenty of them in my neck of the woods) and knowing the old addage of shoot first and ask afterwards ,it pays to know the rules!

Talkdownman
6th Aug 2009, 07:58
From ENR 2.2 'civil recognition of a MATZ is not mandatory, pilots are to comply with the provisions of the current Rules of the Air Regulations in respect of the ATZ.'

A MATZ is unregulated Class G airspace therefore 'clearance' is not required.
A MATZ will, however, contain a separate, embedded, regulated, Government aerodrome ATZ which requires compliance with Rule 45.

tigermagicjohn
6th Aug 2009, 08:59
Yes I have just recently got my PPL back, after 16 years of no flying. Most of my flying I have done in Scandinavia - where there is little problem with MATZ.

Even flying in controlled airspace is little problem. Reading the theory and checking the AIP is not a problem, just adapting with basics of flying in UK airspace. Thanks.

dont overfil
6th Aug 2009, 09:41
I would recommend you call the MATZ ATC at least five miles out even if overflying.(3000+ ft QFE is normally above the zone) Most give an excellent service and will keep you clear of their traffic. The frequency is on the chart so there is no confusion even if it is combined with another MATZ.
Many are closed at the weekend, check the AIP, but don't assume there is no activity. Many have gliders or air experience flights going on.
One that springs to mind is Church Fenton who often seem to be at home even when promugated closed.
DO.

tmmorris
6th Aug 2009, 18:44
People overcomplicate MATZ - I operate from inside one...

1. It's not controlled airspace. But treat it as if it were - unless they say you can't go inside, in which case it's up to you if you do so anyway. But tell them. (See 3.)

2. They will ask you to fly on QFE. Humour them.

3. It's a busy place with (usually) lots of fast pointy things. See 1.

4. The boundaries thereof are often not in GPS databases, so be prepared to use a map for a change. (They may ask you to report MATZ boundary depending on whether you are receiving a radar service or not.)

Tim

airborne_artist
6th Aug 2009, 20:36
3. It's a busy place with (usually) lots of fast pointy things. See 1.

How many fast pointy things are there where you fly from, Tim? :ok:

BluntM8
6th Aug 2009, 21:14
Mate, this is a bit of an old chesnut, with people falling on either side of the fence, with varying degrees of strength of feeling. If there is a partictular MATZ which is giving you concern, may I suggest you phone the base and ask to speak to the ATC Supervisor? They'll be the best person to get the bottom line from!

mjc123
7th Aug 2009, 11:24
Question for all of you with far more hours than me...
Surely a bit of common sense airmanship is required here? Having re-read 2.2 of the AIP:
if you were routing North of Reading and just clipping Benson MATZ, if you follow the letter of the AIP you would make calls to Benson for a MATZ penetration (potentially blind calls at the week-end) - but would it not be better to be getting a service from F'Boro Radar and listening for other traffic on that frequency? Obviously if going near the ATZ itself that would be a different matter or spending significant time within the MATZ (and if Class D airspace zone that is obviously very different matter). But do you not want to be listening on the frequency on which the most traffic relevant to your actual route would be talking?

tmmorris
7th Aug 2009, 11:27
Hence the 'usually'!

Tim

cats_five
7th Aug 2009, 12:12
People overcomplicate MATZ - I operate from inside one...

<snip>

4. The boundaries thereof are often not in GPS databases, so be prepared to use a map for a change. (They may ask you to report MATZ boundary depending on whether you are receiving a radar service or not.)

But they are on all the PDA moving maps I've seen used by glider pilots, with the correct outlines and so on.

hatzflyer
7th Aug 2009, 12:36
I had an engine failure in a matz a long time ago. I did the obvious and landed on the runway underneath me.After the obligatory " you can't land that 'ere !" .. "oh yes I can- I just did! " joke, the RAF were OK.
I got tea and buns and was shown around the tower. Radar were highly embarrased, they had no idea I was there !
Other than letting me fix it and fly it out ( they insisted on dismantling it and trailor it out ) they were fine.

My mate had a similar situation with a US base and was manhandled out of the plane, spread eagled on the runway face down with a fecking great gun in the back of his head. (and that was pre 9/11).

tmmorris
7th Aug 2009, 13:51
hatzflyer,

Out of interest, did you have time to declare an emergency, and were you on the MATZ freq at the time?

Seems odd that they would have queried it, really - normally they are far too cool and collected for anything more than a raised eyebrow in the controller's tone of voice...

The anecdote about the American bases sums up the difference in approach nicely.

Tim

hatzflyer
7th Aug 2009, 14:10
No, non-radio, plenty of height to glide clear but that seemed a bit stupid with all that lovely tarmac underneath.
Problem was a total blockage in a type of fuel filter no longer legal.(2t engine).

Whopity
8th Aug 2009, 07:14
I would recommend you call the MATZ ATC at least five miles out Then I suggest you read CAP413 you might learn the correct procedure!1.15.3 Pilots requiring a MATZ, and where appropriate, ATZ penetration service must establish two way RTF communication on the appropriate frequency with the aerodrome controlling the zone when 15 nm or 5 min flying time from the boundary
whichever is the sooner, and request approval to penetrate the MATZ,and if
appropriate ATZ. When requested by the controller to ‘pass your message’ the pilot
should pass the following information:
a) Aircraft Callsign / Type
b) Departure Point and Destination
c) Present Position
d) Level
e) Additional details / Intention (e.g. Flight Rules, Next Route Point)
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413adv.pdf

tmmorris
8th Aug 2009, 07:38
Understandable, then, as they may have thought you'd just decided to drop in! But I don't think anyone, least of all the RAF, would deny that you did the obviously right thing. Shame they wouldn't let you fly it out but if it trailers easily I suppose I can see their point.

Tim

englishal
8th Aug 2009, 18:07
I take off under the stub of a matz and rarely dial them up unless I am going somewhere. If I wanted to tansit I'd ask for a transit, but normally I'd be above and ask for a Traffic Service. Even in AIAA areas you can fly around and rarely see anyone else.

Talkdownman
9th Aug 2009, 07:51
I am based at a busy aerodrome within the confines of a MATZ (but not the Rule 45 ATZ). Whenever I call the published VHF freq inbound or outbound response is usually tardy and the call is received with little apparent interest and the provision of a totally inappropriate pressure setting. I do not recall ever having had any traffic information. If the military really do want extended protection from civilian aircraft they should apply for a 5nm radius Rule 45 ATZ then we will all know exactly where we are. From radar observation MATZ dimensions are inappropriate for the traffic patterns which they are supposed to protect and consequently, IMHO, not worth the paper they are printed on as far as civilian pilots are concerned. The MATZ Penetration Service is an incongruous entry in a civilian IAIP. It is neither one thing nor the other. Little wonder that MATZ Penetration is misunderstood.

gasax
10th Aug 2009, 07:38
I very much agree. One of our local MATZ will only grant tranist 'threough' the MATZ at 3000!.

If there is any flying going on they try and sterilise the area - which of course the a/c they operate largely do not need.

To be fair however I have had pretty good service from some of the Americans - they are a bit paranoid about you not flying overhead but traffic info, squawks - just like a mini-RIS. (Yes I know but Traffic doesn't fo it for me!)