PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye BA, so long.....

Final 3 Greens
5th Aug 2009, 17:23
Once upon a time, there was a nice airline named GB Airways, who operated BA franchise flights around the Med. They did it very well, with nice modern A32x aircraft and some of us used them quite a bit.

Two years ago, their franchise was not renewed and the company was acquired by easyJet.

BA then decided to operate services to Malta themselves, using clapped out old 737s that look absolutely knackered inside (even though they are no doubt maintained to high standards.)

Surprise, surprise, the Malta flights have now been withdrawn from 25 October.

I believe that I am correct in saying this will be the first time that BEA/BA have not operated a service to this former country that is still close to the UK, since independence in 1964.

Although I won't miss the 'thigh grabbers' (anyone who has travelled in the 'D' seats in Club Europe will know what I mean), I do regret that we lost the excellent service that GB used to provide.

So there goes my silver card now and its highly unlikely that I will bother to fly BA at all in the future.

Munnyspinner
5th Aug 2009, 18:56
If the route was viable for GB - which it presumably was, then maybe EZY will operate it from Gatwick. A bit of a hike to LEMG, if not.

Know what you mean about the clapped out 737's even if they are well maintained.

BA have run out of dosh and now they are running out of passengers - It's a real shame.

Nedul1a
5th Aug 2009, 19:51
GB was fantastic, I loved flying to Gib and Murcia as a child with them, such fun

Not so keen on BA but thats another story

jb5000
5th Aug 2009, 20:01
Don't forget that EZY have picked up the ex-GB route!

They've been flying LGW to Malta ever since the takeover, up to twice a day.

Final 3 Greens
5th Aug 2009, 21:44
A bit of a hike to LEMG, if not.

More like a bit of a swim from LEMG to LMML:}

fireblade2000uk
6th Aug 2009, 08:18
Same story for Tunis. Lovely clean A320's now clapped out B737's, torn seats, filthy carpets and an airfare that is shocking!

Final 3 Greens
6th Aug 2009, 09:15
Don't forget that EZY have picked up the ex-GB route!

They've been flying LGW to Malta ever since the takeover, up to twice a day.

This is true and I like easy on short sectors, its a good company, with a good product.

But on the 3 hour haul to/from London, I need extra space to work, thus business class in a full service airline is required.

I estimate I did about 100 hours (12.5 working days) work on aircraft last year and that increases the time I can bill and this more than covers the extra costs.

nivsy
6th Aug 2009, 21:25
Just on the "missing GB " theme - I miss them as well (out of Gibraltar) more than I thought I would.

The 320's were always clean and the CC friendly and efficient.

Grateful for Easy Jets efforts - but big sigh (again)...

Nivsy

Malone
7th Aug 2009, 02:48
If GB Airways were that good, why did they effectively go bust and end up being bought out by EasyJet?
My experience of them, over a considerable time, was perpetual delays, huge overbookings due to reservation errors at their end. A lot of their tickets were very cheap Teletickets, presumably giving them financial problems. Rumour had it that they were actually finding it difficult paying for fuel, although I do not know how true that was.

Final 3 Greens
7th Aug 2009, 09:06
Malone

I'd appreciate it if you would stay on topic and not drift the thread.

jetset lady
7th Aug 2009, 12:43
So anyone waxing lyrical about the now defunct GB is staying on thread, yet some one who dares to question why they are no longer, is drifting off thread? How does that work then?

Jsl

P.S. I have to say, I'm disappointed that it seems we'll never get to have that front galley debate, Final 3 Greens...;)

Final 3 Greens
7th Aug 2009, 16:05
JSL

So anyone waxing lyrical about the now defunct GB is staying on thread, yet some one who dares to question why they are no longer, is drifting off thread? How does that work then?

"Once upon a time, there was a nice airline named GB Airways, who operated BA franchise flights around the Med."

GB was our BA service and that BA service was provided very well indeed. We miss it.

The thread is not about whether GB Airways was going brankrupt, had useless reservations systems or had difficulties paying for fuel.

This thread is about the withdrawal of BA services and the people waxing lyrical about GB are in fact waxing lyrical about the BA franchises operated by GB.

jetset lady
7th Aug 2009, 16:30
Nope. Sorry, still don't get it.

The thread is about the withdrawal of BA services. Got that bit. And some are waxing lyrical about GB, which, by the way, I'm perfectly aware was a BA franchise. Understand that bit too. But no one is allowed to point out any possible faults/problems that they may have experienced with the aforementioned BA franchise. Why? What makes Malones comments
any less valid than other posters, just because they are not totally pro-GB?

Maybe it would be quicker to just rename the thread, "BA Have Gone - The GB Superfan Thread".

Jsl

Final 3 Greens
7th Aug 2009, 16:42
Malone posted with this opening line.

If GB Airways were that good, why did they effectively go bust and end up being bought out by EasyJet?

This thread is not about the reasons why GB were acquired by U2.

If you can't see the thread drift, then so be it.

Anyway, I not a moderator, so all I did was ask Malone politely not to drift the thread.

jetset lady
7th Aug 2009, 17:39
Fair enough, Final 3 Greens. It's your thread.

Jsl

greggx101
7th Aug 2009, 20:55
Blimey, Don't you two have nothing else better to do ?

Crepello
8th Aug 2009, 05:07
If we're going to compare opening lines, the OP's included:
Once upon a time, there was a nice airline named GB Airways...
I do regret that we lost the excellent service that GB used to provide.

We can assume all was going nicely for F3G until Malone made a valid counterpoint, supported by personal experiences. But as we've seen from other recent threads, the OP isn't the stoutest of debaters when his/her assertions come under legitimate scrutiny, evidenced by his/her dismissal of JSL's contributions.

Too bad (ahem) it isn't actually F3G's personal thread - no more so than it'd be his/her conversation if they brought it up over dinner. Good hosts promote discussion and embrace diversity of opinion. Inferior hosts tend to force their opinions upon their guests, to the detriment of dialogue and enjoyment. My exit music, please...

Final 3 Greens
8th Aug 2009, 06:45
Once upon a time, there was a nice airline named GB Airways, who operated BA franchise flights around the Med.

If you are going to quote me Crepello, please don't change the context by selective editing.

This thread is about the loss of British Airways flights, not about the financial health of the franchisee.

Perhaps you don't realise, as you appear to be based in the US, but GB Airways operated as a British Airways franchise and delivered the BA product, so the comments here are praising the franchisee for delivering a British Airways product excellently.

If Malone had commented only about the alleged delays and reservations problems he allegedly encountered, that would have been well within the scope of the thread topic and would have been an interesting counterpoint to the upbeat comments.

But Malone chose to open and close with allegations of financial trouble at GB Airways and to take the thread in a different direction.

I asked him politely not to; he can start his own thread on this subject, if he wishes to.

What's your beef?

Final 3 Greens
8th Aug 2009, 06:55
Greggx101

You asked "Blimey, Don't you two have nothing else better to do ?"

For your information, although we often disagree on the forum, I hold Jetset lady in very high regard and have a lot of respect for her integrity.

When she challenged me, it was on a matter of principle, so I responded to explain.

There is an old saying that 'the sign of someone's intelligence is how much they agree with you.'

Jetset Lady doesn't often agree with me, but she does disprove the adage above.

Crepello
8th Aug 2009, 08:08
Ah well, Final 3 Posts ;), other posters attempted to enrich this discourse but apparently failed to follow your script. Incidentally, I did quote you selectively, but did not edit your prose - a minor quibble, but an important distinction.

Anyways, I think we've a good feel for the constraints you choose to impose on this discussion so I'll let you close with the last words - new ones on me, but quite revealing of your psyche!

the sign of someone's intelligence is how much they agree with you

:eek:

Final 3 Greens
8th Aug 2009, 09:15
Crepello

As was recently said by a poster on another thread, you seem to like to be argumentative for its own sake.

Your choice, I've tried to explain reasonably.

To deal with your two specific points, see the following from the Concise Oxford Dictionary

· v. (edited, editing) prepare (written material) for publication by correcting, condensing, or otherwise modifying it. I would say deleting part of a sentence was modifying.

With regard to your extract from my post, designed to twist the meaning completely, I said (missing words emboldened)

There is an old saying that 'the sign of someone's intelligence is how much they agree with you.'

Jetset Lady doesn't often agree with me, but she does disprove the adage above.

Maybe the irony in Texas is buried somewhere near the coppery, but the above is a compliment to a forum member with very different views to mine, whom I happen to respect.

Malone
8th Aug 2009, 10:29
I apologise if you thought that I was going off thread but I thought that it was a valid point. It must be remembered that GB offered the BA product and had to as a term of the franchise. It is a shame that someone who appreciated the product, especially the Club product, has to suffer the loss of that service. Unfortunately there were not enough of you, most people were ok with the loco model. These routes were yet another casualty of the locos.
:sad:

PAXboy
8th Aug 2009, 11:53
I'm not argumentative but I do like precision and, if we are quoting the Oxford, I might as well get picky! So, slightly tongue in cheek ... :8
malone[quote]These routes were yet another casualty of the locos./QUOTE]
No - the routes were casualties of the greatest majority of people wanting to pay less money for a service. Irrespective of the recession, people have always wanted to pay less because people have decided to value the accumulation of money!

Final 3 Greens
8th Aug 2009, 13:01
Malone

Your comments about your service level experiences are very much welcome, since althought the rest of us enjoyed good BA product, you obviously didn't and it provides a different view.

What I don't wish to get into is (a) the state of GB and (b) what caused it, as my primary interest is that BA has left a market it serviced (both directly and via a franchise) since it was created.

We still have a very good full service airline on the route, Air Malta-cheap flights to malta,holiday in malta (http://www.airmalta.com), who manage to provide a good club product.

However, its good to have a choice, to say nothing of extra schedule options, so I miss the shiny A321s and 321s with a well delivered club product.

I even used the 737 service from time to time, despite the Jurassic feeling in the cabin and the reduction of seat width (which I am perfectly okay with in an Airbus, BA, LH or KM) to 'thighgrabber' dimensions.

Recently, the crew morale seemed to dip noticeably, although some crews were still the very high end experience of the BA of 10 years ago.

Fly-by-Wife
8th Aug 2009, 13:05
Being picky - as I do like precision -
the greatest majority - is a tautology.

"The vast majority" would be acceptable, as would simply "majority", or "greatest number".

FBW.

Crepello
8th Aug 2009, 15:06
I'd love to steer this thread back on topic, but I'm no longer sure what's desired or 'permitted' by the OP. I infer it's along the lines of "There was a regional carrier whose service to Malta some used to enjoy. But the market evolved more quickly than GB did and this ultimately closed them down. The route has since been served inadequately for my needs. Rather than discuss the broader issues here, let's use this as yet another reason to bash BA." :zzz:

you seem to like to be argumentative for its own sake
No, I defend my point of view in the absence of reasonable counterpoints. You and your accolyte accused me of being argumentative, simply because you didn't like my perspective. I think you're wrong about editing, but the lifeblood of debate is difference of opinion.

To object to Malone's first contribution, then to say his/her comments are "very much welcome" seems baffling. To then dictate what you do and don't wish to "get into" seems arrogant. If your motivation for posting is to marshall support while scorning dissent, consider simply locking your future threads.

A quick refresher from F3G on what opinions are/aren't welcome here may help get back on topic - if anybody still cares...

glad rag
10th Aug 2009, 18:19
Blimey! :}

PAXboy
11th Aug 2009, 00:02
FBW :ok: Yep, ah fink ah ghot dat wun rong ...