PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Club of Great Britain

gdev2009
5th Aug 2009, 14:32
Hi All
Would anybody be able to PM me with some contact details
for The Helicopter Club of Great Britain, preferably a telephone no.

Thanks

JTobias
5th Aug 2009, 14:40
Hi

No phone number that I know of.
PM me and I will e-mail you the e-mail address of their General Secretary.

Joel :ok:

Heliport
5th Aug 2009, 14:41
Info about the HCGB including contact details -

HCGB | HOME (http://www.hcgb.co.uk/)

gdev2009
5th Aug 2009, 15:32
Hi Folks

Thanks all for viewing and for your helpful replies.
I am looking for a telephone number for Jeremy James
or Roy Harford.

or any one in HCGB who works on the logistics of heli events.

Many Thanks.

Flying Lawyer
5th Aug 2009, 19:23
gdev2009

You've already been told where to look for the information you need.

Click on 'Join Us' and you'll find the Secretary's postal address and e-mail address. The Secretary is Jeremy James.

I've got his phone number but I don't think it would be appropriate to pass it on. If he'd wanted it widely known he would have published it on the website.
He clearly wants contact to be by post or email.

I'm not a member of the HCGB so cant help further.

biggles99
5th Aug 2009, 20:16
Everyone in the UK reading this forum should belong to the Helicopter Club of Great Britain.

You may think it's for rich middle-England owners, but regardless of your politics and economic status, this organisation has done more than any other to keep your rotary flying as de-regulated as it is now. And it also is resisting more un-necessary regulation constantly.

In Germany, helicopters are strictly airfield to airfield. If you - or your client - wants to land at his Schloss it will cost 50,000 Euros in fees and take 2 years, BEFORE he can even start thinking about landing there.

In Italy, you have to have reporting points every 30 minutes -- and this is for VFR flights!

In Russia, EVERY flight is subject to a flight plan.

In much of Europe you have to have a fitted ELT to every helicopter, regardless of use or type.

One of the founder members of the club (and incidently my instructor back in the 1990s) was instrumental in designing the London Heliroutes. I bet some of you have had many paid flying hours taking the hoi poloi up and down the River Thames, not to mention having the convenience of crossing overhead one of the busiest airports in the world.

The HCGB, and in particular Jeremy James, have done an awful lot to keep you flying and enjoying the simple freedom that we have in this country when it comes to rotary aviation.

Even if you don't like the Club ethos, for 55 quid a year you get 4 excellent magazines and the opportunity to contribute to the stability and growth of the helicopter industry in the UK.

Moderator - this sounds a bit like an ad - it is not meant to be. I'm just passionate about keeping helicopter flying accessable to all, and keeping the UK accessable to us.

Big Ls.

(a member of the HCGB, but not on the committee nor in new-member recruitment. Oh, I'm not Jeremy either!)

EESDL
6th Aug 2009, 00:46
What on earth have BHA been doing in the meantime?
Let's not get carried away - a club is a club is a club.
I also know of HCGB members landing at rediculous sites and hissing off locals all in the name of keeping helicopter flying a simple freedom.

So what's wrong with having a Visual RP every 30-minutes?

Don't get me wrong but are you seriously suggesting that HCGB has been the saviour of helicopter flying in UK - as the advert suggests?

I say this after receiving a panic 'world is going to end' email/letter from HCGB imploring me to oppose numerous NPA measures, majority of which actually seemed quite sensible......... when you review accident reports
Discuss

Brilliant Stuff
6th Aug 2009, 01:13
Biggles I have been a member of the HCGB in the past for several years but apart from the excellent club magazine I felt not really included into the club unless, and I hate to say this, I owned a helicopter or am a wise age or minted. You are right Jeremy James puts an awful lot of work into the club.

For the "ordinary" professional I did not see much point in being a member.

The website was IMHO unused.

Now I am a member of another club totally unrelated to aviation and there everyone is made to feel very welcome no matter what personal circumstances.

I stress though this was my personal experience and I might just have been unlucky, but £55 was a bit steep for 4 Magazines.

Johe02
6th Aug 2009, 19:16
Well said Biggles - Bit harsh EESDL - Nothing to discuss. I can only suggest you go and live in Switzerland or Austria, (if you don't already)They have rules for everything!

I'm a member of MAG (http://www.mag-uk.org) for similar reasons mentioned by Biggles. Its only £20 a year for 12 magazines - but I know they struggle financially.

Any one with a motorbike should join?

Whirlygig
6th Aug 2009, 19:54
I'm afraid I echo Brilliant Stuff's experience; events were often organised during the week when working classes were at work and, to be quite frank, I couldn't afford to eat at any of the restaurants/hotels featured even if I could land a helicopter there :}

The campaigning work carried out by HCGB is to be applauded; however, as with recent proposals, one can still voice one's objections directly.

As for MAG?
Have they stopped that "No helmets" nonsense yet? :\

Cheers

Whirls

Pandalet
7th Aug 2009, 07:45

No thanks! I've been a bike owner/rider for some time, and MAG don't represent me or my interests. Although we probably agree on some issues, we are violently opposed on others. In general, they are not a worthwhile use of my money.

Any organisation that claims to support my rights, without knowing anything about me, which I have to actually apply to to find out exactly what their manifesto is (the 'about us - overview' on their website is so general it's pretty much meaningless) isn't exactly earning my trust or support.

While I appreciate that the HCGB has done some excellent work, and that it probably wasn't intended as a club for rich owners, it may not be for everyone. It's also not the only way to campaign for better rotary rights, and to argue that "if you support a better deal for helicopters, you should be supporting the HCGB" is disingenuous, in my opinion.

Heliport
7th Aug 2009, 14:08
While I appreciate that the BHAB has done some excellent work, and that it probably wasn't intended as a club for rich ownersI think you mean the HCGB. The BHAB is not a club.

Whatever the strengths and weaknesses of the HCGB as a club, there can be no doubt that its Secretary Jeremy James does a lot of good work on behalf of the UK helicopter community.

So does the BHAB.

H.

handysnaks
7th Aug 2009, 17:52
I think you mean the HCGB. The BHAB is not a club.

Whatever the strengths and weaknesses of the HCGB as a club, there can be no doubt that its Secretary Jeremy James does a lot of good work on behalf of the UK helicopter community.

So does the BHAB.

Just to remind everyone (or to educate those that haven't heard). What was the BHAB is now the BHA:8

http://www.britishhelicopterassociation.org/images/BHA%20Logo%20crop%2015.jpg

Heliport
7th Aug 2009, 19:08
Ooops!

Old habits die hard. :)

Freewheel
7th Aug 2009, 22:59
Heliport - good to see you back!

In general, I've always taken the view that I should join any organisation claiming to represent my interests and assess their capabilities from the inside. Once you've experienced it, assess their potential, rather than what they've done for you lately, and decide whether to renew. I find it works for me.

Johe02
8th Aug 2009, 13:04
See, I knew there were some comparisons to be drawn. True you need to have a few quid to join the Heli club but this doesn't surprise me.

Whirly. . The 'no helmets nonsense' has now been passed to the cyclists because they are next in line for this rule. (and they have formed a powerful anti helmet lobby group). MAG actually has a helmet in its new logo much to the disgust of some of its members.
You may be interested/surprised to know 5 states in the US have now re-pealed their helmet laws and more will follow. They have found the motorcycle deaths reduce by up to 50% when the rider is left to choose.

Pandalet - Perhaps you need to join a club that is totally sympathetic to your particular circumstances. . Trouble is I think you might be the only member.
The Overview page (http://www.mag-uk.org/en/aboutmag/a6319) is just the overview. The Campaigns page (http://www.mag-uk.org/en/campaigns) lists the recent campaigns but better still the Position statements page (http://www.mag-uk.org/en/campaignsdetail/a6551?SID=f148031cfe337cf941c5939186f26b68) lists the battles fought (and ongoing) so people can enjoy motorcycling as they do now in the UK.

Maybe the HCGB should have similar web pages?

So I do empathise with Biggles point of view. . :ok:

What Limits
8th Aug 2009, 17:05
I was a member of the HCGB for many years before my overseas adventure and I would recommend it to anyone. I have little money and no helicopter but the club welcomed me for what I am. As with all clubs and associations there are members with their own agenda but on the whole I found them a good bunch to be with.

I also see with interest the comments on MAG, after my experiences on HEMS, I wonder if they would care to join forces with the RAC and the AA and start a campaign to

"STOP RIDING/DRIVING LIKE A COMPLETE TW@T"

Benet
9th Aug 2009, 06:08
I've been a member of the HCGB for four or so years. Go to their social events. You won't feel left out then.

Its true that many, if not most, of the people you will meet own their own helicopters, smart cars, and live in substantial houses in the south of England. I don't. But they, like you, are human beings underneath, and share your interest in helicopters to boot. I've turned up at many events in a scrappy second-hand car. I've turned up at some events on a bicycle, although that's just my own personal kink. My helicopter background is just as valid as any of theirs - better, in many cases, since my licence is a CPL.

Don't let the wealth gap put you off. You'll make friends; some of them will offer you a free ride to the next event - don't be shy to ask.

I'm keeping up my subscripton even though I'm spending this year in Abu Dhabi (closing the wealth gap slightly) and I've enjoyed two exceptional fly-in events while in Britain, both in borrowed aircraft. Sure, I can't afford to join their cross-channel jaunts. But do what you can - make an effort, and you'll fit in fine.

rotorboater
9th Aug 2009, 12:37
You can only be a member if you have a heli license so they cant be all that bad!;)

flora1234
10th Aug 2009, 20:55
i've been a member of the club for a year or two now.

the events are sometimes (as whirlygig pointed out), at obscure times. this is because if you want the opportunity to visit major manufacturers or military bases, you can't reasonably expect anything else.

it obviously suits some and not others, but once you've attended one or two events or fly-ins you will be able to judge that for yourself and have no problem in quiting your subscription at the end of the year.

as already said the club does do tremendous work in highlighting legislation that majorly impacts personal freedoms - such as the EASA proposals for floats cross-channel on all private helicopter flights - which would go unnoticed, especially by pplhs otherwise. the club's finances are in place to further defend personal freedoms if complaints procedures fail and further action is need. in my mind this may well justify the membership fee.

metalman
12th Aug 2009, 18:01
you sound like him!!!! The club is all about upper middle class twits!!!!:E