PDA

View Full Version : Skyvans

garybell
5th Aug 2009, 14:27
Hello all

I work near Belfast City airport and saw yesterday and today (Wed).
2 shorts skyvans approach the airport They were about 80 meters apart.

Don't know if they landed - can't see runway.

Anyone know what they are here for??:confused:

MELLYMELL
5th Aug 2009, 14:57
Think this may answer your question.
Skyvans return to place of birth (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14109)

skydiver69
5th Aug 2009, 21:40
Tony DeBruin from Belgium owns both of these. Most of the time they are used for skydiving (I've jumped from both of them) and can be found doing military contracts as well as civilian skydiving events all over Europe. At least one of them will be at Hibalstow over the August Bank Holiday.

I please to see G-BEOL back flying as it had a bit of an accident at Weston on the Green last year as reported here Air Accidents Investigation: Shorts SC.7 Skyvan, G-BEOL (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/july_2009/shorts_sc_7_skyvan__g_beol.cfm)

parabellum
5th Aug 2009, 23:47
Flew the SC7 for two years, also known as 'Melody in Metal' and 'The Whispering Nissen Hut'! The SC7 was the original 'Shed' but that name somehow transferred to the 330 and 360. As one observer once remarked, "It'll look great once they take it out of the packing case"!
Two fun years and it does carry a ton in weight even in +38C and 98% humidity conditions.

411A
6th Aug 2009, 02:07
The FAA approved 'em to operate at 14,500 pounds under an exemption granted to one particular 14CFR135 operator, who carried, at the time, vitally needed engine mount bits for the original B747 in 1969, LAX-SEA.

The shoebox with wings.:}

Tmbstory
6th Aug 2009, 07:26
I operated one in South East Asia for a number of years, it was one of the best aircraft for use in so called "bush flying", including camera work ( up to about 20000 feet ).

The ferry flight from Belfast to Singapore in February 1980, took a bit over 40 hours !. When I gave my ETA at Karachi upon leaving Bahrain, the controller's response was " today or tomorrow". Caused a laugh or two.

Tmb

merlinxx
6th Aug 2009, 11:37
Used to watch these things from our Ops windows outbound from old JED enroute over the Red Sea. We ran a book as how long it would take to get past all 3 windows, mostly it was the same day:E:ok: