PDA

View Full Version : XP repair/install problem

BOAC
5th Aug 2009, 08:12
Thought I was smart! I slipstreamed my XP (SP2 slipstreamed) CD with SP3 using 'autostreamer'. All went well. To check the disk I ran repair/install on the XP SP3 installation. A fair number of 'cannot find files', although they are there in CDROM :i386. ONE example is icwconn.ex_ There were several others. The find file box shows the required file MINUS the extension and thus it will not copy it. Seems to be a common problem looking at Google but I have no fix. It is almost as if 'hide extensions for known file types' is active. I get the same if I use my XP SP2 disk.

I am thinking of doing a fresh install to see if I can locate a registry issue. Any ideas?

boe777
5th Aug 2009, 09:44
Why in the world would you "slipstream" the sp2 with sp3 ?

Do a clean install on the original cd supplied and then download sp3 from microsoft updates, as long as your XP is legit it will automatically update sp2 and sp3.

dont forget while updating sp3 its fixing and removing the old patches and vulnerabilites and reinstalling new patches.

twiggs
5th Aug 2009, 09:52
I've never had a problem slipstreaming using nlite (http://www.nliteos.com/index.html)
With n-lite you can add any hotfixes and updates that have been released since the service pack.

There is a possibility though that the issue is with the CD drive being unable to read the disk adequately due to poor quality disks or drive issues.

Temet_Nosce
5th Aug 2009, 10:00
Why in the world don't you just install Windows 7?

:eek:

BOAC
5th Aug 2009, 10:26
Twigss - nlite was indee the method for the SP2 slipstream. I found autostreamer much easier to use (until now!!)

Hopefully someone will have a fix. I have back-ups of allusers reg and default users reg files. In the meantiime I'll do a fresh XP install (hopefully) and have a poke around.

frostbite
5th Aug 2009, 11:43
Why in the world don't you just install Windows 7?

Because it hasn't yet been released for retail sale?

Ancient Observer
5th Aug 2009, 12:29
B
I know you know, but I thought I'd remind you. 3 can take a long time to instal.
I've no idea why, but in our domestic installations, it has varied from an OK time to an awfully long time.

BOAC
5th Aug 2009, 12:32
Just finishing a new install with no hiccups so I am guessing there is a registry issue with the original installation. I see that the 'deafult user' reg file is the one that has changed. Would restoring a 'working copy' of this sort the problem?

Anyone know what causes what seems to be a fairly common issue?

AO - it is hanging at the copy file stage. It just does not recognise the files it needs.

BOAC
6th Aug 2009, 21:29
Well, it is back. Final try yesterday, lots of 'ignore that file' and at around 2200 I was left with a mini XP splash screen, eggtimer and occasional disk activity. No progress for 1 hour+. So on with the jimmies and bed hat and socks and I left it running overnight. In the morning, computer still on but Windows had shut down. Tentative push of power button and an agonising crawl into my old Windows over 20 minutes. No Windows update available -'Error 1083'- (tried 'registering' lots of files with no improvement), and emails looking trashed. I ran the SP3 update again off the separate SP3 update disk, and I got Windows update. I am in the process of recovering the OE messages (folders.dbx stuffed). So far all else seems ok

I just wish I knew what had caused it!

Ancient Observer
7th Aug 2009, 12:57
B
nasty things, computers. Too many WTFWT? moments. Glad it's sorted. The "it'll be better in the morning" solution is one of my favourites.

BOAC
9th Aug 2009, 14:23
Another one for the 'buffs'. Until my latest 'fun time' I had a scheduled daily email backup of the OE mail store folder. After 'funtime' I had a red ! across the latest folder backup folder in the restore window. Files were recoverable but only with significant skill and determination (and Googling:)). I now have a simple bat copy function to replace this backup schedule.

Why would the backup suddenly 'go bad'? Other backups are fine.

Indeed, AO - another WTFWT? moment