PDA

View Full Version : Some advice required.

1mag1n3
4th Aug 2009, 21:45
Hey folks,

The current situation is dire. No point asking if I can train now, since I cant.

However, I have 3 plans which I am currently pondering over and I need to make a decision quite quickly, say within a fortnight.

Firstly I am onto stage 2 of the NATS air traffic control selection, and if I do get onto this course then I will pursue it, however with the selection being so selective I have to have a plan B/C.

The two choices I have which are both practically set in stone as plans B/C are either to go to university to study something, or go off with Carnival UK to complete a cadetship to become a navigation officer.

I say "something" with regard to university since I am going into clearing. Clearing is a system to try and fill all the unfilled spaces within a university which are advertised to prospective candidates. I could study Maths, Geography, Physics, or something Aviation related such as THIS (http://www.engineering.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/sis/eng/ext/programme.cgi?cmd=details&level=ug&progcode=BS-AT/PILOT) course.

Now, in the long term I want to be a pilot. It has influenced me so much to the point now, where I am simply in a muddle and cant decide which is the "best" next step for me to take.

Obviously going down the university route brings debt. The cadetship doesnt, plus you have the university life while on land...

Any opinions folks?

Bealzebub
4th Aug 2009, 21:53
Do whatever you think will make you happy!

The decision is yours. Nobody can properly advise you in that respect, they can only tell you what would personally influence their own choices not yours. If you need advice on these dissimilar choices then ask somebody who knows you personally and whose opinion you respect.

Then do whatever you think will make you happy!

Celtic Pilot
5th Aug 2009, 13:18
If you want to be a pilot in the longterm then I would go to university rather than the NATS ATC... would make more sense really...

Doesnt training ATC cost alot of money????

1mag1n3
5th Aug 2009, 14:59
The NATS scheme is a fully sponsored route into ATC. They pay for training, and pay you through with a wage. After 3 years you are fully qualified and start on £29800 I believe. With that wage it would be possible to go on and save money, and learn to fly on the modular route.

With university your practically guaranteed to come out of the degree with a sizeable amount of debt which inevitably prolong the transition to becoming a pilot.

mractive
5th Aug 2009, 15:26
You have made your own mind up it seems, i know which one id be doing...

30k job or 10k debt minimum and no/little job prospects. however if u do a degree for your own benefit please please please chose one which you can actually use. Engineering and some financial based degrees are the only ones worth doing for job prospects at present. easily 80 percent of my fellow grads have lost there jobs over the last year all in the areas of Architecture, Construction, IT.