PDA

View Full Version : Scaffen Diest

hatzflyer
4th Aug 2009, 15:16
Anyone on this forum going? Posted on a couple of other forums and no replies much and yet its normally thick with G reg when you get there.:confused:

S-Works
4th Aug 2009, 15:20
Yep, we are going on masse from our place.

hatzflyer
4th Aug 2009, 15:21
Where's that?

S-Works
4th Aug 2009, 15:47
A secret location in the Midlands!!!!

hatzflyer
4th Aug 2009, 15:51
Is it so secret that it won't appear on wall at diest?:eek:

gasax
4th Aug 2009, 15:54
Yeah we're going from an even more secret location in the North.

AC-DC
4th Aug 2009, 20:02
It is a grass military strip not far from Antwerpen Belgium. Been there few years ago, it was ok but nothing special.

BelArgUSA
5th Aug 2009, 00:04
Diest / Schaffen Vliegveld -
xxx
A former military airfield located at some 15-20 km on the ENE side of Leuven (Louvain if you have a French language map). No idea what they do there nowadays, probably a general aviation small field.
xxx
It used to be the home and training base of the elite Belgian SAS "Red Berets" 1st Bataillon, and the place where they practiced their first parachute jumps, done then from a balloon, before going to airplanes.
xxx
For me, just a place to have a good cold lager...
:D
Happy contrails

hatzflyer
5th Aug 2009, 07:26
Been to diest hundreds off times, the old timers flyin is one off the most laid back, hospitable ,well organised piss ups ..er sorry I mean fly-ins ..you could ever go to.
I wonder if your "been there" is the same place?
But the "Where's that?" comment refered to the (secret) point of departure.

It seems that there are more than one secret locations, so I might as well keep it a secret that I've got an empty seat that I was going to offer.
I wasn't aware of the need for secrecy and hope I haven't breached any laws.:bored:

S-Works
5th Aug 2009, 08:05
LOL, it was just a bit of fun!!! We are leaving from a bunch of private strips near Peterborough.

hatzflyer
5th Aug 2009, 08:08
I'm looking to leave Fri pm. As I said, got a spare seat at the moment.
I'm not a million miles from you lot.

Bigglesthefrog
5th Aug 2009, 08:34
I used to fly in to Schaffen Diest many years ago and I agree with Hatzflyer, it was a hell of a good bash. Although I haven't been in recent years, when I get myself sorted out with a nice plane again, it will be very high on my list.

gasax
5th Aug 2009, 10:17
It has an atmosphere and content that virtually no UK event can match - if you don't like the Old Timers Fly-in presumably you are a fan of slot times, yellow tabards and jobsworthiness - none of which exist! Hence the visit from our secret location

hatzflyer
5th Aug 2009, 10:30
Your secret location in the north is not only more secret but its also more north.:uhoh:

Maybe you'll get a prize!

NazgulAir
4th Aug 2010, 16:10
The friendliest welcome.
No landing fees.
Free lunch and drink for early arrivals.
Free excursion to nearby Diest historic centre.
Sleep-under-the-wing camping.
Breakfasts, lunches, barbecue feast.

Check it out : The International Old Timer Fly-in at Schaffen (B) Airfield: Welcome (http://flyin.dac.be/)

800m grass runway.

Jan Olieslagers
4th Aug 2010, 16:25
I have been there most every year for at least 15 years - but then, for me it's close by. Flew in the last two editions, and hope to do so again this year as PIC; only I still have to book the club plane, if still available.
From my eyes, the attendance has gone down over the years (where's that Dutch B-25?) but that seems to happen at all G/A events. The good spirit certainly remains.

BTW anyone wanting help from a (more or less) local: feel free to ask!
BTW the correct spelling is Schaffen. It is indeed a military a/d, like many of them it is released to recreational flying for weekends.
BTW a strong tradition of G-registered Jodels "en masse" (sic!), also couple of Stelio Frati designs and often a black-spotted red tricycle-Piper.

Jodelman
4th Aug 2010, 17:43
and often a black-spotted red tricycle-Piper.

Is that the one that has stripes on the other side to the spots?