PDA

View Full Version : Oxford/CTC/Local + Funding! Advice required

Fabio1605
3rd Aug 2009, 15:13
Hello There

im looking at a career in the airline pilot business!

ive been looking at various options avaialble to me

CTC = 70k approx, with a student loan to fund it all, and help with a job placment after

Oxford = 66k Approx, with student loan to fund it all help with a job placment after

Local flying school(multiflight) = 50k approx, with no financial assistance available, just bank loans!

im reallly despearte to talk to someone who has been to CTC or Oxford to express their views and reviews about it all!

Is there any catch to the funding they can offer! such as high intrest rates etc etc! how quick did you get a job! Any advice would be so much appreciated!

Regards!

Fabio1605
3rd Aug 2009, 15:31
Oh dear!! what are oxford saying tho in regards to this as they have all these "employment promises" how are you funding the course at the moment if you dont mind me asking.

How much is the accomodation in oxford by the way? assuming your staying there?

skyhighbird
3rd Aug 2009, 15:38
Sorry,

at what point did Oxford or CTC promise employment? In your own words you wrote:

help with job placement after

You must be intelligent enough to know that "Help" means go out and find it yourself.

Fabio1605
3rd Aug 2009, 16:14
well they give you the "97%" of our students get a job with in 6 months of completing the training... 97%!!!!! what the hell are the figures based on!!

on a serious note though! is oxford and ctc highly regonised in the airline business!

someone said it looks better to of come from there then a local flying school

any oppinouns?

G SXTY
3rd Aug 2009, 16:49
I qualified at a 'local' flying school, at the peak of the job market, and got an airline job within three months. My airline now has sponsored and mentored cadet pilots, who trained at 'highly recognised schools', working as cabin crew because they qualified at the wrong time and there are no pilot jobs for them.

When you qualify is much, much more important than where you qualify. Don't be taken in by the schools' marketing spin - this is a terrible time to train. You're 21 so not exactly old - review the situation in 2 or 3 years time, but whatever you do, don't believe any school that tells you this is great time to train.

sprthompson
3rd Aug 2009, 17:16
What do you mean by Student loan - I always thought CTC/Oxford etc require bank loans (secured on your house...?)

Aerouk
3rd Aug 2009, 19:22
OAA - LOAN
CTC - LOAN
Multi - LOAN

Theres no difference between them all, they're all done via banks they're all secured the only difference is the price between them.

If I were you, I would go for Multi great school nice aircraft and a lot of their pilots have also went onto great airlines they just don't blab about it as much and spend huge amounts of money on some marketing guru.

They're one of very few schools who have an actual sponsorship scheme with an airline (Atlantic).

Fabio1605
3rd Aug 2009, 19:56
Thank u for all responses, are you any less likely to get a job bases on were you trained,

What banks if any offer loans in which you can repay later or when you get a job?

Cirrus_Clouds
3rd Aug 2009, 20:04
As mentioned previously, if you want a large loan for any college (more than £20-25k), this has to be secured. I didn't have this option, so I have saved over 10yrs keeping out of debt and gradually working my way up the ladder to the professional qualifications. It can be done, if your determined and motivated enough!! .. i'm just that or is it I just don't give up easily :ok:

Training is one thing, but timing is another which involved LOTS of patience and many careers inbetween.

I've gone the cheaper modular route, keeping the big debts at bay until the very last bit. I still wouldn't pay for a Type Rating (an extra £20-30k on top of your £80-100k if going to OAT/FTE/CTC etc) before I'm offered a job any how! .. doing that is nuts, with no gurantee of a job.

"What banks if any offer loans in which you can repay later or when you get a job?"

HSBC is the normal bank that always comes up, but thats ONLY IF you go to OAT or Cabair - I had a meeting with them the other month. Keep an eye on Natwest.
Just go and gather some research with some set questions and then compare your results and then decide from there.

Fabio1605
3rd Aug 2009, 20:44
My assumption was once i complete traoning things should be on the up turn but thats a big risk i suppose

do airliners have preferance for student who came from ctc or oxford instead of local school

suppose mayve il just do a ppl for now then

Aerouk
3rd Aug 2009, 22:41
Airlines don't give a rats arse where you trained all they want is experience and you will be in a much better position to get experience after doing a modular course than you would in an integrated course. If you're debt free then it gives you the opportunity to fly in Africa or do Bush flying in Australia or parachuting in the UK without the need of a big income.

Modular is cheaper, gives you the flexability and doesn't leave you in big trouble if you can't find a job or lose your job while working for an airline.