PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Firefox bookmarks?

tony draper
2nd Aug 2009, 19:31
Just installed a new hard disk in a mates puter,clean operating system drivers ect installed, transfered a lot of stuff from his old hard disk to the new one and downloaded firefox,of course all his old bookmarks are on the old firefox install on his old hard disk,anyway I can transfer these to the new disk? saw the option for importing favs from Explora, but dont seem to be a way of pointing it at the old hard disk and getting his bookmarks from there,be it possible?/
:uhoh:
Old hard disk is installed as slave

Sprogget
2nd Aug 2009, 19:43
In Firefox: Bookmarks>organise bookmarks>Import and backup>export html. Then just import it on the new hdd from wherever you decided to save the html file & they appear as normal in the bookmarks tab. This assumes of course that you have access to the old ff install.

tony draper
2nd Aug 2009, 20:00
In Explora it is simple, you look in the explora folder and there's a folder called favorites,nowt like that in firefox,no indication of where the Bookmarks are stored?,

Loose rivets
2nd Aug 2009, 20:31
That's right. Simple wasn't it?

The procedure above is fairly straightforward. I've done it a few times, I'll have a look when grand-kids go if you're still not up and running.

Saab Dastard
2nd Aug 2009, 20:59
Tony,

Do a search for "firefox bookmarks" (full text, not just titles), as this came up quite recently in this forum.

SD

Keef
2nd Aug 2009, 21:00
... and then there's Xmarks. If you have more than one PC, it will keep the bookmarks synchronised between them.

When I bought a new laptop, it took a moment to setup Xmarks, and there were all my favourites.

Add a new one to either PC, and it's on the other one. Brilliant!

green granite
2nd Aug 2009, 21:33
Tony they are stored in Documents and settings>user name>application data>Mozilla>firefox>profiles>xxx.default>Bookmarkbackups.

If you cant get a direct import from there, just copy the one you want and paste it into the same place on the new drive or where you can point FF at it easily

tony draper
2nd Aug 2009, 21:51
Thanks chaps will try that tomorrow.
The other prob I have this machine is used by the whole family ie three of them have separate logins desktops ect, in the "all user" folder on the old disk,(slave) they each have a folder,ie lets say called Tom Dick Harry,I had the idea of opening the "all user" folder" on the new disk and copying these individual folders from the old disk into the "all user" folder on the new one so copied the laddies (Tom) which has the most stuff in it,then the other two,when I log on using said Toms name bingo,his desktop appears with all his music icons and every thing appears to be working ok,not with the other two folders ( Dick or Harry)though,just a rather Basic desktop appears in both cases if I log on using either of the other two logins?any idea what I have done wrong?
Never had this kind of trouble before but this is the first time I have worked on a puter with multiple individual uses:uhoh:

amanoffewwords
3rd Aug 2009, 09:10
Sound like you need to create the Tom, Dick and Harry accounts on the new system and then logon to each in turn to let Windows create a profile for each account.

Then copy the "favourites", "desktop" and "my documents" folders from Documents and Settings from each account on the old system back to the new system. This will transfer most of the personalisation for each user.

I presume the folders in all users are sitting in the "shared folders" err... folder so those need to be copied across too (though it sounds like you've already done that).

hth.

amofw