PDA

View Full Version : Ppl Conversion - South African - Jaa

Nadeem
2nd Aug 2009, 12:51
Hello everyone, Im sure this question has been answered plenty times before, but all your help will be appriciated.

I have a South African PPL with over 100hrs logged. Last time I flew was a few years ago.

Im looking to start my cpl asap. Firstly, do I need to convert the PPL to JAA or can I continue and start my cpl training?

Secondly, whats the quickest way forward?

Im going to be starting my training at the Flight Academy in Blackpool - Lancs. So far Ive been advised that I will need a medical, RT exam, Air Law and Human Performance along with a skills test. Is there a quicker way or is that it what ive said?

Thankyou in advance for all your response and help...

flyhighspeed300
2nd Aug 2009, 16:26
If your PPL licence book has a jaa on it, then the aswer is no, otherwise yes you will need to convert it over to a JAA PPL then to do a JAA CPL.
need to check up on what you will need to converting. it maybe a flight test/ or just completing the jaa ppl exam. need to check up on that.....

Der absolute Hammer
2nd Aug 2009, 16:35
Do you need a PPL before you begin CPL training?
If you do not then why, if you are beginnning CPL training, bother with a PPL re issue or new issue?
Are you sure that Flight Academy, Blackpool have given you correct advice? You have, of course, checked this with the CAA at LGW?

Leezyjet
2nd Aug 2009, 22:17
You do not need to convert an ICAO PPL to start a JAA CPL.

I had a South African PPL with over 100 hours, and was advised by every flight school apart from 1 that I needed to convert it. Guess which school I went to !!.

The requirements to start a JAA CPL course as taken from Lasors (bolding by me)

D1.2(D) JAR-FCL CPL(A) MODULAR
COURSE FLYING TRAINING/
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Training Requirements
The holder of a PPL(A) issued in accordance with ICAO
Annex 1 (excluding the NPPL) with at least 150 hours
flight time as a pilot, may commence an approved JAR
CPL(A) Modular Course consisting of 25 hours dual flight
instruction including 10 hours of instrument instruction
(up to 5 hours may be instrument ground time in a BITD
or a FNPT I or II or a flight simulator).

And a South African PPL is most certainly an ICAO ppl.

If your SA PPL is current, what you do need to do is :-

Have 150hrs - which is standard to start a Modular CPL course.
Get a JAA Class 1 medical.
Pass either the 9 CPL or 14 ATPL exams - these supercede the PPL exams.
Complete the UK FRTO practical - you don't need to do the written exam if you have passed the ATPL Comms exams.
If you don't have 5 hours night flying, complete this in addition to the minimum CPL hours requirements.

If your SA PPL has lapsed, contact Irv Lee (do a google search for "higherplane" - thats his website) - he can do SA PPL renewals in the UK. There are several AME's that can also do SA Medicals in the UK too.

Alternatively you can do the conversion if you really really want to, but that would probably be more time consuming and expensive.

:)

Nadeem
3rd Aug 2009, 00:37
Hello, firstly thankyou for your reply, very informative including the quote from LASORS.

My license has definatly lapsed. Would you have any idea how I could renew my SA PPL? Ive also emailed Irv Lee (Thankyou for his contact details) and am waiting for his answer.

As for the conversion, im going to be flying now regurarly anyway, but im just looking at the easiest possible option and as you said, if Im doing my CPL, makes sense as that would supercede the PPL anyway...

Thankyou for your help...