PDA

View Full Version : EK Leave?Holiday/Vacation Policy

Instant Hooligan
2nd Aug 2009, 08:41
At the discretion of the company vacation will be reduced to the minimum required by UAE law to meet operational requirements. Your thoughts?

lowstandard
2nd Aug 2009, 08:41
Am I reading this new FCI correctly? What is minimum leave under UAE expat "law"?

Dich hED, how can you sign your name to this you spineless jellyfish?

Get out from behind the desk, put your hat on and try an average roster for a month. Oh yeah your not qualified, your just a sock monkey.

Does this leave policy apply to you as well?

What a tool.

break dancer
2nd Aug 2009, 08:56
So I guess that means Friday day off and no working on public holidays......

Maybe Ed will have to get out there and actually use his uniform for what it's intended.

GBB
2nd Aug 2009, 09:28
Ummm, so are you guys going to have 30 days off leave - same as CC? (I think you have 42 if Im right, 30 + 12 public holidays?)
I never understood why CC in UAE had less leave, as in places like Kuwait they too get 12 additional days of public holidays with their 30 days leave - total of 42 days leave (even in low-cost, such as Jazeera)

oz in dxb
2nd Aug 2009, 09:53
The way I read the FCI (and of course I may be wrong) is that the company "may" reduce our leave during our leave period to the minimum required by the GCAA in case of stuff ups leaving us short of crews. However any remaining leave shall be given back to us in the next leave period, either by choice or assigned.

Just another way of working us to the max!!

Oz

Wiley
2nd Aug 2009, 14:10
I suspect there'd be few pilots in EK who would be surprised to learn that in the medical field, ED stands for erectile dysfunction.

Mister Warning
2nd Aug 2009, 14:22
Classic, Willy! :ok:

Trader
2nd Aug 2009, 14:30
It is pretty clear that we a short of crew. First the offer to move leave from Christmas to summer. Increase in flt hours. Now a reduction in leave to cover shortages.

The ban on hiring came from 'up high' and Flt Ops has tried to mitigate that with moving leave forward etc. The airplanes keep arriving and it gets tighter. Last month someone in rostering mentioned that they are consistantly short of RSV coverage.

It is getting tighter and they are covering their options by reducing leave!! As the year end approaches it will get worse and, since we are flying at the max legal limit, they have almost NO wiggle room to cover flying with overtime! In the past they could pay overtime and insure flights were covered.

In the past most pilots felt at least fairly treated and would help out and make a few extra bucks. My guess is that now, assuming they might even have a few hours left before being illegal to fly they will simply refuse to come in and help--unless XX days are withdrawn and tey are somehow forced to.

BackpackPilot
2nd Aug 2009, 17:15
I just read the FCI and I must say I'm impressed. THAT **** ED is, after all, the man who came up with the FCI on lateral imbalance checks of freight on the 777. *** *** **** * ** ***knows his lateral axis from his longitudinal axis but *** * **** * **.... ********* *****?

Is TCED really a pilot? If so ***** * ********** ***** * ****** ***** ***** ** ****** *** ********** * ********* ***** * **?

**** *** ***** *** *** **** ***** * **** **** ** ** has an issue with which is lateral and which is longitudinal.

donpizmeov
2nd Aug 2009, 23:05
So what are you trying to say here Backpackpilot?

Don

Wizofoz
3rd Aug 2009, 01:13
Well, I THINK he's trying to say that lateral imbalance in the freighter SHOULD be called longditudinal imbalance, and the fact that it's not is all Eds fault.

If that's the case he is...errr....wrong!

desertflyer
3rd Aug 2009, 07:31
This being my third airline I've seen it all before. When times were tough, I've had leave cancelled before so to fly the schedule, put the b*tts in the seats and keep the cash flowing. Keeping employee cost down preserves cash. When the economy got better I received all my leave and never lost any......suspect that is what is happening here. In the current environment, glad to be able to feed my family, get a pay check I can count on and keep getting the hours so when it's time to leave and opportunites prevail.....I'll be ready, perhaps willing, and able!:)

Vorsicht
3rd Aug 2009, 07:47
Either there are a few short memories here or a lot of new joiners.

This exact same thing has happened at least twice before to my knowledge, the first (to my knowledge) was when many guys had their leave cancelled over the millenium. A lot of very P*ssed of people then too.

Brings to mind an old saying "same same, but different". Not much changes in the desert, just the people delivering the anal insertion.

v

ruserious
3rd Aug 2009, 09:39
Yep, ED has been trying to get away with this for a couple of years, it is in complete breach of our contracts.

Here is how it will go, every year management will have exceptional challenges, so we will only get to bid on one lot of leave for 21 days, another 10 days will also be able to be bid for.

The remaining 11 days will be given out in dribs and drabs at the companies discretion, ideally in 3-4 lots of 3-4 days, this means they can get the 90 hours easily in any month there is leave except the primary month.

Bottom line, they have breached our contract yet again, guess it must be time to initiate the grievance process with HR

ANFA
3rd Aug 2009, 14:01
Go read Orwell. The crisis will continue until the management states otherwise. We will never have things turn around until the word gets out and the applications dry up.
So long as journeymen and wannabees keep queing up, they know it's safe to drive down the T&C's at their whim.
This airline is not worthy of the fine people it has in its employ. Right now they are just resetting the bar to a much lower standard. Remember the old axiom... pay peanuts... hire Monkeys.
There is no escaping the big wheel of Karma. They'll get theirs...
ANFA... OUT!

ANFA
3rd Aug 2009, 16:34
You miss the point, but then, with such a quick and aggressive reply, maybe my post hit too close to home???
Most all of the lads on the property came here not because they were desperate, but rather because they sought something better/more secure for their future.
Nonetheless, it seems the company wishes to remind us all that we had ought to be grateful for merely having a job, and therefore not whinge too much at the terms changing like the breeze.
Keep lowering the bar... and keep lining your bin, you probably like it there mate! You're a great company man, and will go far sir!
Cheers!:8

mensaboy
4th Aug 2009, 18:47
An excerpt from our illustrious leaders. Meant as a joke to all of us slaves already here, but meant as a warning to fools who are considering this place.

Assigned Leave

In exceptional circumstances,(the norm for the future) leave allocation may be reduced in any calendar year to the minimum required under UAE Labour Law. ( we are not going to tell you the minimum allowable, just to mess with your minds a bit more) For personal planning purposes, pilots will be advised of any planned reduction to annual leave allocation as soon as practicable (which means when we feel damn good and ready to alter things at the last minute)

In the event that a leave backlog should develop (which is already occuring) within an individual pilot’s leave balance, then leave may be assigned to the individual pilot during the current leave year at the company’s discretion in order to reduce (well ok fine, STEAL) from the pilot’s existing leave balance in the LASS system ( like the system has anything to do with it) to levels consistent with operational and manpower requirements.
In other words, we don't have enough pilots in spite of the fact you are all working at a pace that is UNSUSTAINABLE.

Should leave be required to be assigned, (obviously you realize this is the Master Plan now) it shall normally be assigned in a seven-day block. However, this may be varied (in other words, Days OFF will now be assigned as LEAVE throughout the year) as appropriate should the size of the backlog render such action appropriate.

Background:

Annual leave and the allocation of leave represent a significant manpower and operational management challenge ( which of course is a legal requirement that any company acknowledges but we would like to point out..... we are incapable of actually 'planning for' a fixed and defined benefit to the employees, hence we are going to absolve ourselves of the responsibility....... hope you understand)

In an effort to allocate resources during periods of variable operational requirements the company has realized that we need a modification to the current annual leave assignment process. We cannot manage things properly so we have decided to just make a mockery of your entitlements and since we realize you are powerless, well....... deal with it!

As a personal aside............ pilots who come to this company and this ****ehole in the future, deserve what is coming to them, BECAUSE THEY ARE IDIOTS !!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Captain EDiot

BackpackPilot
5th Aug 2009, 17:38
the stability is affected by the position of the lateral load ie too heavy on one side left to right and front to back etc, so Backpacker you fine person stop embarrassing us all, read before you type...... If that's the case he is...errr....wrong! Sorry Mr. Liner and Co. but I believe TCED referred to the lateral imbalance "about the lateral axis" so please re-consider your findings on my knowledge; I'd be pleased to think I am right. :)

Yes I read that far before gleefully embarking upon my alcohol-fueled rant. And is that so wrong? What else is left for us to do in Hades these days? :(