PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Navigation

FRQ Charlie Bravo
2nd Aug 2009, 05:04
Hello PPRuNers,

I'm preparing to get back to the rest of the ATPL subjects and I'm going to pick up with Navigation. I haven't had much luck with the Search function but I've got a stack of ATC books and ECU notes but it seems that ATC doesn't have a dedicated book and my ECU notes don't seem to cover everything listed in CASA's ATPL Syllabus.

Have any of you studied ATPL Nav using ATC (aka Trevor Thom) books alone? Having done the study at uni years ago I am having trouble justifying another $400 to probably learn what I've already been taught. I'm considering just printing out the Syllabus and ticking off the items as I go through them through my collection of texts... unless somebody has a better idea.

Thanks in advance,

FRQ CB

FRQ Charlie Bravo
2nd Aug 2009, 05:09
Also, why does Rob Avery split Nav into two books? The description of the first (pasted from aviationshop.com.au) Navigation - Part 1
RRP AUD $52.90 incl GST
Primarily of interest to those pilot’s seeking easy reading, concise texts, specifically written to impart the knowledge required to pass the Australian ATPL Navigation Exam. Lot’s of worked examples and diagrams to aid understanding and retention. Features review questions with model answers. As used in Australia's leading ATPL course. (http://www.aviationshop.com.au/avfacts/Airspeed_book.htm) makes it sound as if it's a stand-alone text but then you see that for another $59.40 you can get a book which covers the balance of the CASA Navigation syllabus (ibid).

~FRQ CB

maverick22
2nd Aug 2009, 05:18
I had the ATC books but just found it too hard trying to read the books cover to cover and actually digest any of the info. The books are an excellent source of information, especially to refer back to in every day life, but not ideal for preparing you for an exam. I used Rob Avery's books for NAV (as they were on special at the time). I was annoyed though because book 1 didn't relate to NAV at all, it was more concerned with Performance (however I did learn a lot from it for the Performance exam). Book 2 had all the relevent info for NAV. I passed the exam, but used AFT correspondence courses for the rest of the subjects. They set me back some $$ but worth every cent I thought:ok:

Just thinking about it, Rob's NAV book 1 was more concerned with Flight planning rather than performance. It had airspeed/altimetry calcs in it which had nothing to do with the Exam at all

PercyWhino
2nd Aug 2009, 13:29
FRQ CB

I can highly reccommend using the Nathan Higgins AFT stuff. I have used all his notes on the distance course and then upgraded to the full time course when i could manage to get the leave off work to knock off Aerody and Sys, Flight Planning, Perf and Loading, and Nav.

I am about to have my ATPL Nav exam on tuesday morning which will then be my last subject, having just completed the Higgins course, and it was excellent. The explanations are simple and easy to understand and follow. The support through phone calls and emails is also a big help. The practice exam questions like all his other subjects include worked answers which are explained why it is done the way it is.

Highly recommended.:ok:

PercyWhino

justacoffeethanks
2nd Aug 2009, 13:44
This may sound too simple, but...

Just do the Nathan Higgins course!

FRQ Charlie Bravo
2nd Aug 2009, 13:58
justacoffeethanks, you are right; it does sound too simple.

I admit that I made the mistake of not doing the exams whilst at Uni and it was all fresh in my head but surely having studied it once as part of a "properly structured course of adequate duration" (CASA's own words) I, and others like me, ought to be able to use our old textbooks.

Bugger it all, I'll take the gamble and give it a go after a practice test. If I do well on the practice and not the real thing I suppose I will have to pay the piper (see my other new thread, Well & truly defunct guidance: ATPL Information Books, V2.2; feel free 2 vent spleens (http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/383566-well-truly-defunct-guidance-atpl-information-books-v2-2-feel-free-2-vent-spleens.html#post5099070)).

~FRQ CB

training wheels
2nd Aug 2009, 22:33
F CB, IMHO, the AFT course is well worth the $400. It's not just the course notes that are helpful but the practice CyberExams as well. Four practice exams (which you can do twice) plus the exercises at the end of each chapter, plus email or telephone support from AFT all for $400.

If you buy the books from other suppliers, you get just that .. the books. (Not sure about Rob Averys books whether they include practice questions, but I do know he sells his ATPL exams questions as a separate enitity as well).

AFT is well worth it!! Just Do It! :ok: